• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another Newbie

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
Hi All,

It took me a while to find this forum, I hope I fit in. 57 year old Australian man, high function polymath, and generally very reclusive. I chose the nic Outdated because I don’t use any social media and I don’t do live chat and I don’t use mobile phones. I like forums though.

I grew up in a world that had never heard of autism and I learnt from a very early age that there was only ever going to be one person in the whole world that really understood me. Me. From a very young age I had to develop a very forceful personality, nearly everyone in my life was always full of advice about who I should be and how I should be and all of them were wrong. I was never shy of telling them so. I always had to be me.

I was fortunate as a young man to get a trade, I was an Offset Printer, in a physical trade environment your worth is based on ability and reliability, and all the most highly skilled tradies tend to be a little bit quirky. I fitted in well. I ended up being extremely good at my job and I was used to being highly valued, I developed an ego based on my abilities. I had a great life and I think a lot of it is due to that ego, that self confidence.

The advent of personal computers brought about the demise of that trade and my world fell apart, but the ego never faded and it still opens up avenues for me wherever I want.

I’ve had a very interesting life and I’d like to share a few of my stories with you, I hope they’re entertaining and possibly helpful as well.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi All,

It took me a while to find this forum, I hope I fit in. 57 year old Australian man, high function polymath, and generally very reclusive. I chose the nic Outdated because I don’t use any social media and I don’t do live chat and I don’t use mobile phones. I like forums though.

I grew up in a world that had never heard of autism and I learnt from a very early age that there was only ever going to be one person in the whole world that really understood me. Me. From a very young age I had to develop a very forceful personality, nearly everyone in my life was always full of advice about who I should be and how I should be and all of them were wrong. I was never shy of telling them so. I always had to be me.

I was fortunate as a young man to get a trade, I was an Offset Printer, in a physical trade environment your worth is based on ability and reliability, and all the most highly skilled tradies tend to be a little bit quirky. I fitted in well. I ended up being extremely good at my job and I was used to being highly valued, I developed an ego based on my abilities. I had a great life and I think a lot of it is due to that ego, that self confidence.

The advent of personal computers brought about the demise of that trade and my world fell apart, but the ego never faded and it still opens up avenues for me wherever I want.

I’ve had a very interesting life and I’d like to share a few of my stories with you, I hope they’re entertaining and possibly helpful as well.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Welcome. Your story sounds very interesting. Keep sharing

1663170323772.png

Hi, and Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay here in the process!

Welcome @Outdated, I would hazard a guess that what you have written about yourself is not a great deal different than others on the spectrum. I too have had an interesting life with many unique experiences that I like sharing with others after a minimum of provocation (as many of my posts would verify). I too developed a sizable ego based on my abilities and the ease with which I advanced in my chosen profession.

I would love to read about some of your experiences if you are of a mind to share them. Other's stories underscore and validate some of my own experiences. Happy to have you here.

Thanks for the kind replies everyone.

@Richelle-H Nice to meet you. I'm still finding my way around this forum and I haven't read many of your posts yet but you seem to be non invasive.

A lot of people would consider much of my life to be a bit of a shambles but I reckon I've had a far better life than many. One of the best periods of my life was after I had a massive burn out and ran away from society, I spent a decade living in remote tropical rainforests in a semi feral type fashion. Most people would see that as some type of failure but I'd still be out there if I didn't start getting too old.

Welcome! I've also observed that there are some highly skilled tradespersons who have traits consistent with being on the spectrum.

Welcome! You sound like a very interesting person, I look forward to reading your posts :)

One of the best periods of my life was after I had a massive burn out and ran away from society, I spent a decade living in remote tropical rainforests in a semi feral type fashion. Most people would see that as some type of failure but I'd still be out there if I didn't start getting too old.
Would absolutely love to hear of your experiences and recounts of… the prospect of a laborious yet ‘simpler’ life in the wilderness, living off the land, your efforts and luck.. far too reminiscent of primal fantasy to me, though I still know it is far from glorified, admirable none-the-less.

Welcome to the forums, I hope you find a space of comfort and enjoyment here.

New Threads

Top Bottom