• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another New Guy

Calvert

'Bout Ye?
Hi everyone, just thought I would introduce myself a bit.

I'm male, from Northern Ireland and 19 years young. I was diagnosed with Aspergers at the age of around 15/16. I've always felt like I was different from everyone else since childhood.

Some of my interests/hobbies are: Computers, website development, photography, listening to music, going to cinema, swimming, being outdoors and more.

I found this forum through Willow's YouTube channel and hope to get to know others like me.

Hi Calvert, welcome to the forums. :) We share a lot of the same interests/hobbies. :p

Hey ^_^. My Mum's from Northern(-ish, around the border) Ireland :D.
I'm interested in web development too, but I don't know that much. Only CSS and HTML and a bit of server stuff, just basic stuff like setting them up and installing CMS's, etc.
EMZ=]

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm not into the coding side of things (I can only do very basic coding). I prefer something like a forum, CMS or WYSIWYG editor that I can work on without doing mountains of code. Also like to visually design sites like in Photoshop.

I'm working on an entertainment/video forum at the moment and will share the link when it's ready to be launched.

Awesome ^_^.
I like WYSIWYG editors, but the only problem is that the coding tends to be terrible. It's almost impossible to just edit the page with a text editor without editing several hundred lines of code, instead you have to open it up in the WYSIWYG editor, which can be inconvenient.
Personally, when I'm making a website, I make the images I design in Photoshop adapt to the code, as opposed to the code adapting to the images. IMO, this way is a lot better because you're less likely to violate web standards and in the long run it's easier to maintain, etc.
EMZ=]

I'm into both the coding and design of templates in photoshop and that kind of thing. :p I started out by making complete designs in photoshop then slicing them and exporting as html and images, now I design partial templates in photoshop - seperate images usually, and compile them in dreamweaver... usually the best way to go in terms of optimizing the final speed (i.e. making less image-heavy websites). :) I enjoy forums and cms's though, I have a 'thing' for organization and moderation... which kind of comes with running a forum. :p :)

http://www.theblimpproject.co.nr/
^My idea of an image-intensive site^. LOL. That's the last one I coded... it only has one image in for the most part. I'm also supposed to be coding my Aunt's website for her Lawyer's practice(or w.e it's called) but she's not emailed me with any details yet so yeah. XD.
I don't really like creating templates in Photoshop because you code around the template, generally, which results in poor code, and also the images won't be that great(with Photoshop templates they're really graphically intensive[not like, ZOMGZ, GPU FRYING, but like, zomgz, 5 second delay in loading page]).
EMZ=]

Lol. It's all a careful balance in the grand scheme of things. Image-intensive sites can often look more satisfying to the eye, but it's not much use if you're loading 20mb of images everytime you view the page. Of course the best way to go if you want results on a content site with a reasonable amount of graphics is css.

I find it hard to sympathize with people complaining about how image-intensive websites are, due to my high-spec machine and run-of-the-mill broadband... everything loads just like any other site for me, unless there are a thousand tiny .gif's occupying one page. That sucks. :p

I don't mind image-intensive sites that much- the loading isn't a problem, I just genuinely don't find them aesthetically appealing and would prefer a simpler layout.
For example, I prefer the layout of the YouTube homepage over the Veoh homepage, and the layout of the Google homepage over Bing's and Yahoo's homepages.
Simplicity is just a lot more appealing. i seriously can't recall any major sites or social networking sites which got very far with image-intensive sites and just generally went over the top with features.
Most web designers seem to fail in keeping it simple.
Oh, and don't get me started on flash-based websites, which are getting all the more popular... ugh...
EMZ=]

Flash-based sites are the work of the devil. Most flash graphics are awful, nevermind when implemented into a 'functioning' (ha) website.

I can appriciate the qualities of a simple design. For example, this forum. The theme is pleasant to look at and relies mainly upon coded css, with images for key parts only.

Erm, ignoring all the computer related stuffs, Hi Calvert! Welcome to Aspergic. =)

Just out of interest, was the theme inspired by OpenSUSE's general colour theme? When I first loaded the forum it just seemed to scream it(not the new one so much, but the older versions).
BTW, sorry Willow if this seems like I'm ignoring your post or trying to alienate you, I'm just genuinely interested(not to imply you'd jump to such a conclusion but yeah :p).
EMZ=]

Just out of interest, was the theme inspired by OpenSUSE's general colour theme?

I didn't design the forum skin or anything. :p

I haven't made an IPB skin in yonks, though I intend to get back into shape with css and make a new one myself for this forum, eventually. It'll be based on this skin more or less entirely, I'm just going to pay more attention to detail. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom