• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another Day Another Bewildered NT

LeroyT1000

Once again my acute hearing came into the limelight where I was talking to a colleague at work and my attention drifted to a few metres away where I could pick up the mutterings of someone else. I glanced over and observed his behaviour and I shouted over and said "What did you say about me thinking I'm smart?!"

He was dumbfounded and then tried to blag that he was actually complementing me blah blah blah. Anyway, it was funny and when things happen like that I feel like a super hero!

My acute ability to pick up on surrounding conversations has been a part of me all my life. This is why I found school horrendous and I used to drink and take drugs when I used to go out years ago in order to have a good night instead of being Mr Radar!

Have any of you got similar experiences? :)

Nope. Wish I had that trait though.

Frankly hearing multiple conversations all at once make it difficult for me to follow any one of them. :eek:

I was like that too, before my career damaged my hearing. Loved it when I caught someone picking on me or, making rude remarks about me when they didn't think I could hear them. Now I can't do that so well, too many years of having 120+ decibels blasted within five feet of my ears.

Yes there is protection for our ears now but, that came too late for me.

My hearing has been shot for decades now,most likely from exposure to loud noises in industrial environments,performance vehicles and very loud music.

Try on the 150 decibel level of a topfuel dragster for a few days. I once forgot my ear protection and had to endure an entire four wide racing event in order to photograph it. The sound levels are so loud that you actually feel the pressure thru your entire body,not just hear it. There have been reports of 165 DB at the starting line.

I suffer from severe tinnitus and have for years now. My world will never be silent again,often just a constant high pitched sound or often much like being in the woods with a full symphony of crickets in full shrill.

I suffer from severe tinnitus and have for years now. My world will never be silent again,often just a constant high pitched sound or often much like being in the woods with a full symphony of crickets in full shrill.

Me too. At times it can be really annoying. :mad:

Nitro I know exactly what you mean, crickets, tiny tree frogs, maybe on a good day, a high pitched steady din that is a bit easier to semi ignore. Even more annoying when wearing an earpiece when it's quiet, once the music starts it doesn't mater, you can't hear anything else anyway.

Nothing for it now and, worth it. I'm happy to trade some of my hearing for the life I've lived. Not that that is the only price my body either pays now or will pay by the time I'm 70 for this but, still, all worth it.

Nitro I know exactly what you mean, crickets, tiny tree frogs, maybe on a good day, a high pitched steady din that is a bit easier to semi ignore. Even more annoying when wearing an earpiece when it's quiet, once the music starts it doesn't mater, you can't hear anything else anyway.

Nothing for it now and, worth it. I'm happy to trade some of my hearing for the life I've lived. Not that that is the only price my body either pays now or will pay by the time I'm 70 for this but, still, all worth it.
I don't ever really complain about my hearing deficits and fully understand why I have them. I consider it a trade off for the enjoyment that most of the sound came with. The industrial noise was overshadowed by the sounds of accountant's calculators when my numbers went to black...there is always a trade that has to be made somewhere...:D

I was like that too, before my career damaged my hearing. Loved it when I caught someone picking on me or, making rude remarks about me when they didn't think I could hear them. Now I can't do that so well, too many years of having 120+ decibels blasted within five feet of my ears.

Yes there is protection for our ears now but, that came too late for me.
Tried to find a sympathetic icon but failed lol! Yes I can imagine the sounds not helping the ear drum health :(

Like L'Oreal!!!

Tried to find a sympathetic icon but failed lol! Yes I can imagine the sounds not helping the ear drum health :(

Thank you but, I don't need or want any sympathy. One, I'm far from alone in being a half deaf rocker. Two, I knew what I was getting into, I knew I was headed for years of very loud music and, endless nights of my ears ringing so bad I couldn't hear myself think. That's every night after a concert. All totally worth it, all be it a pain at times literally so, worth it.

I can't pick out and isolate conversations. All the noise blends into one so it can be extremely loud and yet I can't hear what any one person is saying. I have no ability to filter noise, meaning when I'm out I can hear anything and everything all at once. So someone could literally shout into my ear and I would be unable to tell what they said if it was loud like many public places are.

However, when it's quiet my hearing works great. I can hear right into the distance. I can be in my house and hear and pick out (since there's no noise I can focus in) cars and know what car it is. Buses, tractors, and lorries are even more obvious. Also works if I'm walking home (though I drive now so haven't since I was at school). Can tell where people are, can tell where cars are, without looking behind me. This has been helpful in the winter months as mornings were dark and foggy meaning I had to rely on my hearing to cross roads.

It has bewildered people before, knowing what car is coming next. Looks like I'm psychic or can l predict the future or something when really I'm just listening for them. If I had the choice I'd prefer normal hearing though, I would really like being able to enjoy going out to eat rather than being completely overwhelmed by how loud and how much different louds there are. My hearing is just too sensitive for the real world.

I can't relate that well because I have a hard time focusing on conversation. If anything people prompt me on what to say by using social scripts.

Far from the only one, estimates are that at least 30% of "aging" (meaning over 30) musicians have some hearing loss due to our careers. I suspect the number would be higher if we were all honest and, all had recent hearing tests.

Thankfully, that is almost a thing of the past, modern earpieces filter and control the sound so that young musicians today are not forced to endure damage to their hearing to have their careers. For a lot of us, that cam too late but, at least we are the last that have to sacrifice our hearing. This career demands enough from your mind and body without destroying your ears too.

For me, age seems to be taking my hearing away. It has gotten worse for the last two years. I see aids in my future..... that is hearing aids, just to clarify.

clg114 yeah, when the volume on the tele goes from 14 to 42 in less than a week, just so you can hear your favorite show, that's a pretty good vision of the future. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom