• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Annual Review

Spinning Compass

V.I.P Member
Well, my annual review is coming up at work next month. How they do it is they have you fill out a review form and then they fill out a review form and then you sit and compare the two. But I am not good at self-evaluation. One time when I honestly thought I was doing a good job I gave myself all high marks only to have the supervisor shoot me down. So I really don't know what to say. I think I do all right, I have survived all the layoffs so far, but now I have a new position and I am still learning it.

Does anyone else have this problem when it comes to reviews?

We were supposed to do this for a class I had last semester year. So awkward... Grading your humility. Ha, I charmed my way out of doing it though. Being a basket-case has its merits I guess.

Just find something relatively tame that you "want to work on" and explain what strategy you're going to use.

What's your job?

Well, I really can't discuss my job in detail because it involves a lot of confidential information, but basically it involves data searches. In the past I have had recurring problems with stress due to juggling multiple conflicting deadlines, last minute requests for time-consuming projects which are all wanted yesterday, frequent interruptions, that sort of thing. That I even manage to do it as well as I can is a miracle considering my Aspergers. But since officially I am not on the books as having Aspergers I can't really say anything about it. The one time I tried I was shot down and told that I couldn't possibly have Aspergers because my boss' spouse was studying psychology so he knew all about it from her! Yes, really. I said, Whatever, and changed the subject.

I shall probably think of something bland and neutral that will make them happy.

I just had my review yesterday, I got very good ratings. But my manager made the mistake of asking how things were going and he picked a very bad day. I have one co-worker out with a broken hand (from punching a refrigerator), another just quit, and my boss has a hairline fracture in his foot, and is in a cast. I'm doing most of three other peoples job, plus my own, what did he really expect me to say. I kind of blew up at him, told him I don't mind working hard, I actually enjoy hard work, but I have been running non-stop for over a month, working over with out being asked, coming in on saturdays, and I am fed up with it. There are other people who need to do their share of the work. The topper is the dumbass with the broken hand put in for vacation as soon as he returns to work, and my boss approved it. We are supposed to do a self evaluation, but I did one last year and I could tell my manager never even read it, no one even mentioned it last year or not doing one this year.

I don't like annual reviews at all. I think that way even though I get good reviews pretty much every time I have one. I have a new job now though and my first review will be coming up in May, and even though I think I will do well, it still makes me nervous. It's really hard when you don't really know the criteria they will be using too well.

Well, I had my review today and it went pretty well, I think, considering that I am transitioning from one position to another; there's been quite a bit of reorganizing at my company due to the economy. It sounds like they eventually want to move me into a records management position. I rather like the hands-on data entry that I am doing now; however I've learned you don't say no when they suggest something and it might actually be a good change.

New Threads

Top Bottom