• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Animal Dreams.

SusanLR

Curiosity's Cat
V.I.P Member
Someone was telling me about their dreams and how they often involved various animals.
This made me start thinking about my own dreams.
I realised there have been very few dreams that ever had animals in them,
despite feeling a close connection to the animal kingdom.

From a psychological viewpoint I wondered if others have dreams that contain animals.
Especially those on the spectrum because we all seem to relate to our pets and animals.

I remember my dreams and lucid dream often.
Yet I can only remember a couple of times dreams that had animals in them.
Horses once, a bird, and a few of spiders.

Do you have animals in your dreams?

Sometimes I dream of my pets, past and present. Usually I dream about people though, or past situations. Sometimes a mix of nightmare and reality.

Even as connected to animals as I am, it generally doesnt happen.

My dreams are typically of warped realities that would make M.C. Escher go mad. Neither people or animals usually fit into that sort of distortion.

It'd be nice to have dreams of dogs or something for once.

Someone was telling me about their dreams and how they often involved various animals.
This made me start thinking about my own dreams.
I realised there have been very few dreams that ever had animals in them,
despite feeling a close connection to the animal kingdom.

From a psychological viewpoint I wondered if others have dreams that contain animals.
Especially those on the spectrum because we all seem to relate to our pets and animals.

I remember my dreams and lucid dream often.
Yet I can only remember a couple of times dreams that had animals in them.
Horses once, a bird, and a few of spiders.

Do you have animals in your dreams?
I'm a very creative and imaginative person when awake.

My regular dreams however only reflect my everyday life or they are buried memories resurfacing (friends from school I haven't seen in years etc.) Those are pretty boring. Usually there are no animals involved in my dreams, recently I dreamt about opening a pet boarding facility and a kitten died getting stuck behind a locker. I woke up being very upset :D

Then there are lucid dreams, I tend to have several in a row. I'm aware of the state my body is in and I'm consciously able to steer my dream to a certain degree. They happen in the transition phase to/ from sleep. Often accompanied by sleep paralysis (wanting to wake up, not being able to move, but I'm able to hear what's going on around me. Once I fell asleep when my mother made a phone call. To this day I remeber every single word spoken during my sleep paralysis.)

All lucid dreams start the same way: Usually, I am in the same environment where I've fallen asleep. Sometimes, in the beginning of those dreams, I feel like a force is pulling me upwards or I have an out-of-body experience and see myself in bed. Once or twice right before the out-of-body experience I've heard a strange humming sound, similar to a washing machine and yet completly alien to me, like something from another world. It gave me a headache.

Once I dreamt about a family member having cancer and she received the diagnosis the other day. And no I don't believe in fortunetelling, this was just another dream induced by fear and worry because said person didn't feel well for some time.

That is quite observant Susan. I don't ever remember really dreaming about animals. Even though I get caught in waking daydreams about them quite often. Maybe the reason is that human and animal souls are on different frequencies, like radio stations have different ways to tune in? Therefore it would be impossible to dream about them. But they can tune into each other during waking life.

But that's a little bit of a far out theory. I always like trying to see where the scientific and spiritual realms connect. That's where the realest things exist, it seems to me.

Kind of like in Lake Seminole in South Georgia. Go to the area where the mud-bottomed portion of the lake meets the part where the underwater plants grow and that's where the fish are. It's like a common meeting place.

If anyone can tie up the loose ends of my theory to make me sound sane again I'd appreciate it...:)

Not on the spectrum, however here's my response:

I sometimes have dreams with animals in them. For instance, I had a nightmare once about being attacked by a giant bee (one much bigger than me) on the way to a job interview. A different nightmare of mine included sentient gummy bears the size of real bears. It depends what you count.

Another example would be when I had a nightmare about being pursued by a bull that seemed to be made out of shadows, except the shadows kept flickering between red and grey. A bit like a hologram except somehow more solid, yet at the same time it had an almost fluid quality to the form. It moved as though it were made out of sea waves.

Then there's mythological creatures. I was chased by a cyclops who was also a zombie in a dream. So, are we only counting real animals here? If so, do regular animals that are presented unrealistically count? For instance, a jellyfish the size of a skyscraper or a gummy bear that acts like a real bear and is the size of one?

Also, are we counting virtual animals? I had a dream about taking care of a virtual fish once. Oh, and I've had dreams about shape-shifting into certain animals before if they count. My dreams are often incredibly ridiculous and don't usually make much logical sense. I've had dreams with regular animals before that have looked and acted like regular animals. However, more often than not there's usually something off about them. Sometimes animals change into a different creature without warning in my dreams. Or an inanimate object will become a living animal. For instance, I'll be holding a rope and it'll turn into a snake then slither away.

My reality has a habit of being in a state of constant change in my dreams. Is that a rope? Nope, it's a snake now. Did I come in through that door? Well there isn't a door there anymore. Is that shadow a bit odd looking? Well now it's a lot larger and is suddenly a bull that's chasing me for no apparent reason. Sometimes I lucid dream, I'm good at gaining control of my dreams, but there are moments where I decide to let my dream play out because I'm curious about where it's going.

I dream about animals. Sometimes my pet or a past pet. Sometimes a grizzly bear chasing me and I'm trying to get kids to safety. Sometimes, spiders and snakes (don't care for those at all). I've dreamed that I'm at my daughter's and having to take care of zoo animals, like an elephant.
@Joel's Hear don't think I'm on the same frequency as these animals - maybe it's the amount of time spent with animals. But, aside from dreaming about your own pet, other animals symbolize something (like grizzles usually represent mothers, snakes enemies and my zoo animals at my daughters is because it's like a zoo there.) :)

I dream about animals. Sometimes my pet or a past pet. Sometimes a grizzly bear chasing me and I'm trying to get kids to safety. Sometimes, spiders and snakes (don't care for those at all). I've dreamed that I'm at my daughter's and having to take care of zoo animals, like an elephant.
@Joel's Hear don't think I'm on the same frequency as these animals - maybe it's the amount of time spent with animals. But, aside from dreaming about your own pet, other animals symbolize something (like grizzles usually represent mothers, snakes enemies and my zoo animals at my daughters is because it's like a zoo there.) :)
My wife and I exist like grizzlies. We're very protective of our kids. You helped me remember that I did dream of an animal once, a bear, and I have remembered it was terrifying. It was when I was about seven. I don't dream anymore, though I used to have the most vivid ones sometimes: both bad and good.

I dream about my pets very often. They’re usually stressful dreams where they wander off and I’m terrified of not finding them again.

Another interesting animal-related thing is that when I give birth in my dreams, it’s usually kittens instead of babies. And when I do give birth to a human looking baby it’s usually possessed or evil and out to kill me.

I'm not certain where it would fall in taxonomic ranks.

It isn't human but it isn't any animal I'm aware of.
It's bewildering.
I have to imagine it's some genetic mash up because I don't ever get to see it in all its glory either.
It's definitely there.

I hear it's ragged breath and guttural growl.
I see what it's capable of doing to the flesh of the deceased lying abandoned.

I witness and feel the fear and desperation of those around me.
Knowing what's about to happen is terrifying.

I haven't gotten passed that part yet.
I'm wide awake and sweaty by then.

Don't appear to be able to carry it on when falling asleep again either.
Like 'series one, episode two.
:)

I rarely dream about my animals but can remember a weird 1 about one of our old dogs. She was trapped in the toilet and we had to get a road grader up to our home to get her out.

My first death dream was my goldfish, l dreamed it passed. I was very attached, l called my mom (l was at my grandmothers), and it had passed to goldfish haven. I don't like dreams. But l do remember seeing my fish floating on top of the water, and l woke up quite upset.

Last edited:
A lot of different styles of dreams here.
From the Fantasmagorical to more common place.

The man that was talking with me about having many dreams with animals was in search of what he
called his totem or spirit animal. Wondering which animal it might be due to the many in his dreams.

Most of my dreams are of being somewhere that is not familiar to me.
A lot of people in them, but, no one I know.
Many times I know I am in a dream and start looking around to see what I can see as I find it
interesting. Like being on a trip to somewhere new.
I don't try to control the dream beyond being aware of what I am doing. Shopping, eating,
talking with someone and usually trying to find out where I am.
Sometimes I dream I wake up, but, it is not to my room.
Nothing ever seems to be a part of my life. Occasionally someone is there that I know from my
real life. Very seldom.

Another thing is I don't have nightmares. Most people do.
Never any monsters, people trying to harm me or anything scary or devastating.

I enjoy my dreams because they are so realistic. Like a life adventure.
Also enjoy sleep without dreams as it is the only time my mind is quiet.
I believe in symbolic dreams such as @Pats mentioned. Where the bear may represent
something in your life or about yourself.
Some of the seemingly unreal creatures, if I dreamt of those, I would look for the symbolic
meaning of their presentation. The subconscious is in control and things present for a reason.

Here is another interesting tidbit I've read about in psychology...
doesn't concern dreams, but, rather photographs or paintings
especially in your bedroom.
See what pictures, paintings or photos you have on the walls
or sitting in frames.
Profilers say this will show what is most important in the person's life.
Family, pets, religious icons, celebrities, fantasy, etc.
I have no photos in my room.
I do have a large antique map of Long Island in it's original wooden framework.
Very old. I think I like it as it represents history.
Also a bronze sculpture of a tree on the wall. Maybe because I like nature?
Don't know. I just like it.

This could make another thread. Psychoanalysis of your room!

The man that was talking with me about having many dreams with animals was in search of what he
called his totem or spirit animal. Wondering which animal it might be due to the many in his dreams.

Most of my dreams are of being somewhere that is not familiar to me.
A lot of people in them, but, no one I know.
Many times I know I am in a dream and start looking around to see what I can see as I find it
interesting. Like being on a trip to somewhere new.
I don't try to control the dream beyond being aware of what I am doing. Shopping, eating,
talking with someone and usually trying to find out where I am.
Sometimes I dream I wake up, but, it is not to my room.
Nothing ever seems to be a part of my life. Occasionally someone is there that I know from my
real life. Very seldom.

Another thing is I don't have nightmares. Most people do.
Never any monsters, people trying to harm me or anything scary or devastating.

I enjoy my dreams because they are so realistic. Like a life adventure.
Also enjoy sleep without dreams as it is the only time my mind is quiet.
I believe in symbolic dreams such as @Pats mentioned. Where the bear may represent
something in your life or about yourself.
Some of the seemingly unreal creatures, if I dreamt of those, I would look for the symbolic
meaning of their presentation. The subconscious is in control and things present for a reason.

Here is another interesting tidbit I've read about in psychology...
doesn't concern dreams, but, rather photographs or paintings
especially in your bedroom.
See what pictures, paintings or photos you have on the walls
or sitting in frames.
Profilers say this will show what is most important in the person's life.
Family, pets, religious icons, celebrities, fantasy, etc.
I have no photos in my room.
I do have a large antique map of Long Island in it's original wooden framework.
Very old. I think I like it as it represents history.
Also a bronze sculpture of a tree on the wall. Maybe because I like nature?
Don't know. I just like it.

I always have trouble with the idea that dreams symbolize something in our life. Or have anything to do with "categorizing the day's data" as I've often heard.

I mean, I cant imagine what in the funky heck could possibly cause the things I see every night. Like, a building made of dark oak floating in a pink zigzag void (I cant describe that bit very well) with no gravity, and then I pull my way across the thing to a door, open it, and find a shadowy room of infinite space filled with a million floating red & silver orbs. And yes, that was an actual dream I had.

I mean... what the heck? They just get stranger from there.

I cant imagine what exactly in my dull day to day existence could possibly lead to.... whatever that is. And that was one of the simpler ones. I would have a very hard time describing the more complicated/weird ones. Doesnt make sense. If there's symbols in any of that, it's all in 12-dimensional alien hieroglyphics.

I always have trouble with the idea that dreams symbolize something in our life. Or have anything to do with "categorizing the day's data" as I've often heard.

I mean, I cant imagine what in the funky heck could possibly cause the things I see every night. Like, a building made of dark oak floating in a pink zigzag void (I cant describe that bit very well) with no gravity, and then I pull my way across the thing to a door, open it, and find a shadowy room of infinite space filled with a million floating red & silver orbs. And yes, that was an actual dream I had.

I mean... what the heck? They just get stranger from there.

I cant imagine what exactly in my dull day to day existence could possibly lead to.... whatever that is. And that was one of the simpler ones. I would have a very hard time describing the more complicated/weird ones. Doesnt make sense. If there's symbols in any of that, it's all in 12-dimensional alien hieroglyphics.
They sound strange enough.
Wish I had a few to add some life to my everyday dreams.

Symbols for me are usually pretty easy to figure out.
Like dreaming of a huge house that is in a state of repair or needs repairs that never get
finished.
That's how the house is I rent part of. The dream house isn't the house I live in, but,
I know what it represents.

Another common dream that has meaning to me is getting tangled in spider webs.
I don't like spiders and it represents when I feel trapped in something I feel I can't escape.
If a spider actually flys through the air to land on me, it just adds weight to something
is going to get worse that I'm worried about.
Stuff like that.

Wow, if I had a dream like the one you described I would think I was on some other dimension
of reality. The void, not grounded and I know orbs represent spirit forms.
Cool.
Maybe your brain is very creative and bored with the mundane.
I don't know. Wouldn't want to guess. But, if it doesn't upset you to have those
dreams, I'd enjoy them.

I have animals in many of my dreams. Dogs, snakes, elephants, wolfs even dinosaurs. I have strange dreams every night but nothing in my dreams or nightmares scare me. Guess I got over the night terrors long ago because of the frequency of reoccurring nightmares as a child which were so bad my parents kept an empty coffee can next to my bed because I would wake up "Selling Buicks."

Do it. It'd be fun. I have a faux window with Monument Valley and a wall size mural of Antelope Canyon. :)

I can not remember most of my dreams. The ones that I do remember usually have to do with a project that I am having trouble figuring out. I have found a solution in my dreams before. This usually wakes me up.

I can not remember most of my dreams. The ones that I do remember usually have to do with a project that I am having trouble figuring out. I have found a solution in my dreams before. This usually wakes me up.
That can happen.
Somehow it comes to you in a dream.

I have written six songs in dreams.
I've read a lot of famous songwriters wrote songs in their dreams.
They keep a tape recorder by the bed and do a rough version of it as soon as they wake up.
Then the next day they listen to it and start writing. :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom