1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Android upgrade..?

Discussion in 'Computers, Science & Technology' started by LadyS, Sep 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LadyS

LadyS Work in Progess

My Samsung S10 is due for an upgrade, and judging by all the new different choices, long overdue. Anyone have any recommendations because now I'm lost (we're already to v21?!). I'd like to try to stick to Samsungs but am open to other options. Android only though (sorry Apple). Maybe a phone with a good camera for my photography hobby. Are there big differences between the different versions of samsungs?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. Sapphire K

Sapphire K Autistic Demigirl! (She/They/It) V.I.P Member

I have a S20 FE. You can get 5g compatible ones, as well. It has decent performance and a good camera. It can even take 4k60fps videos.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I don't think a lot has changed in tablets, seems like they hit a plateau of development. I was looking at some a few months ago and couldn't see a lot of change from my 2 yr old samsung. I presumed it was outdated but apparently not!

4. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Sometimes I think Samsung may have a deliberate marketing strategy in frequently flooding the market with so many models yet having only minor differences in features and performance. It's difficult to get really serious about photo capability when I already have a good DSLR and make the most out of using Photoshop.

Making me focus mostly on the basics, especially in contemplating an inexpensive, but austere (1GB) plan with unlimited voice and text. Still it makes my head spin reading so many critical reviews +- on models like the 5G A32 and the A52. :eek:

Probably should stick to purchasing something under $150 rather than continue looking at those up around $500 to $600.

I continue to simply get turned off of buying a first cellphone altogether. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Isadoorian

Isadoorian Welcomer of Newcomers V.I.P Member

Samsung skipped to the S20 and S21, rather than go through the 10s; It sounds nicer on the tongue and they already went though 10 iterations of a single number, so why do it again all the way to 20? :p

I have an S10 myself which I got in early 2020, but am waiting until my phone's paid off in February/March to look for anything new. I'm with Koodo in Canada and managed to get it for free practically through a deal they had a the time, I just have to pay the cost of it in $30 increments for 2 years which is almost done. It was an upgrade from my S7 I got in 2018, and it's a good thing I got it as security updates for it stopped last Fall.

I'm not too knowledgeable on Camera specs unfortunately, but if you watch/read reviews or watch comparison videos, you might be able to make a choice that way.

If you don't usually do that, then by the looks of things: Mr. Mobile, PocketNow, PhoneBuff, Flossy Carter, MobileTechReview, and Tim Schofield seem to be the Go-To review channels on Youtube going by a couple older posts on r/Android on Reddit.

6. MyLifeAsAnAspie

MyLifeAsAnAspie Well-Known Member

I will be going from an S6 to an S10E soon. I found the S10E when trying to find a smaller phone than the standard huge ones. I will probably be buying it on Ebay unless someone has a better way to buy used phones. The S6 was a refurbished phone from Sprint, but T-Mobile/Sprint isn't selling used phones now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I know what you mean about samsung phones.

I currently ( or should be currently), have an sfr phone and was so disappointed, when I could not play my music on it and after having to be repaired twice and still not trustworthy working, am having to use a spare phone, which is a wiki phone and just do not like them, so in a couple of month's time, we are going to buy two new samsung phones, and so, I am now looking out for the best option, at an affordable price.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Well-Known Member

I got the S21+ (256GB model) and I am happy with it.

Samsung's model names since the S20 refers to the year of release (S21 being in 2021). However, I upgraded from a Galaxy Note 8. I don't miss the S Pen since I hardly ever used it.

What I like about Samsung's latest flagship phones are three years of full OS updates and four years of security updates.

• Informative Informative x 2