• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ancient Christian Chants

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I am not a Catholic or Orthodox, but I absolutely love old chants. The older, the better.

I think my favorite are Byzantine and Templar, although there are many Slavic and Gregorian chants I like too. Each has their own sound. I don't understand the words unless there are subtitles, but the feeling that the music gives me, it makes me feel more relaxed and closer to God.

There's a channel on Youtube called "Adoration of the Cross". I like it because there's such diverse music, and nearly all of the songs have English Subtitles.

The Knights Templar, to me, had the best chants. There's a certain military-like cadence to the music, and you can feel the strife within them.

Byzantine chants are also very beautiful. I especially like this dirge about the fall of Constantinople.

This one is pretty too.

Do you also enjoy listening to Medieval Christian Chants?

This is a Russian Orthodox variation of the last Byzantine Chant on the original post. I love the Slavic language in this chant so much.

This is a Danish hymn from the 1730s, called "My heart always wanders" (to the place where Jesus was born).
I just think it sounds great.

And with Gregorian Chant, I am such a fangirl.

This CD, released decades before I became a Christian was one of my favorites as a teenager. I was not raised Christian at all, and I guess you could call this my gateway drug:

This is the Hurrian Hymn. It is an ancient Canaanite hymn found by archaeologists, and it is the oldest piece of sheet music that can be reconstructed by modern musicians.

Enjoy a trip back to 1400 B.C.

These are pretty fantastic, all of them.

I am a Catholic so these are part of my religion, some of them. They are sadly less common nowadays as we've decided (in the states anyway, land of poor taste) that the electric piano is a substitute for the pipe organ and the human voice.

Salve Regina (solemn) | Song of the Rosary | Gregorian Chant - Bing video

The Salve Regina is a common chant that is quite good.

Tantum Ergo Sacramentum - YouTube

From the "Benediction" ceremonies of the Catholic church, Tantum Ergo dates back to the 1200s and is still sung regularly, as is O salutaris hostia.

O Salutaris Hostia - YouTube

Some of these I have been figuring out how to play on the pump-organ, but not well. Catholicism has a wealth of old chants still in active use and they are one of my favorite things not so much for listening but for the way they make meditation easier. Wish we still used this side of our heritage instead of the mess you hear on Sundays.

These are pretty fantastic, all of them.

I am a Catholic so these are part of my religion, some of them. They are sadly less common nowadays as we've decided (in the states anyway, land of poor taste) that the electric piano is a substitute for the pipe organ and the human voice.

Salve Regina (solemn) | Song of the Rosary | Gregorian Chant - Bing video

The Salve Regina is a common chant that is quite good.

Tantum Ergo Sacramentum - YouTube

From the "Benediction" ceremonies of the Catholic church, Tantum Ergo dates back to the 1200s and is still sung regularly, as is O salutaris hostia.

O Salutaris Hostia - YouTube

Some of these I have been figuring out how to play on the pump-organ, but not well. Catholicism has a wealth of old chants still in active use and they are one of my favorite things not so much for listening but for the way they make meditation easier. Wish we still used this side of our heritage instead of the mess you hear on Sundays.

I can relate. I don't like the sound of modern church music. All the drums and (as my daughter puts it) 80's pianos are just too harsh for a time of communion with God. I like the older chants and hymns. I would pay someone money if they could find me a church that still uses the old sacred music.

A couple years ago I re-taught myself to play piano using an old hymnal of mostly Fanny Crosby songs. It was during my voluntary simplicity phase, when I only used electricity for cooking. That was a fun time.

As an aspie it's an issue too. All that harsh twanging overstimulates me, and I end up spending the music part of the worship out in the entryway or in the bathroom, or maybe wandering the halls. I know a lot of people like the contemporary worship music, and I will admit, there are a few nice songs. But to me, for the most part, it's just too loud and clangy for a time of meeting with God.

Funny note: My daughter came home from Winter Camp and told me that one of the camp counselors played a contemporary christian song that compared God to a "sloppy wet kiss", and all the campers, being high schoolers, started laughing and making jokes. She said he didn't play that one again.

PS, those were some really pretty chants you posted

I found these ones sung in English, which is rare.

I like to meditate on the words, and the music is so peaceful.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom