• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An idea of talent.

Wolfnox

V.I.P Member
So one of you was nice enough to point out that perhaps I should be a writer or author. I will provide a small sample i made up today. Than after readung it please tell me what you think.
The sky was dark and grey. Rumbles of thunder echoed across the forest and moutains below. Lightening occasionally flashed lightening the land below in a breif blaze of silver fire. In the forests below green eyes looked out from the tree branches. Concealed in their shadows and the darkness the storm above provided. The lightening illumnating breifly the form of a large ape. He had arrived hours before ad climbed the tree he now resided in. The storm had blown in almost thirty minutes ago. Shrouding the land and concealing him further. A fact not lost on him. "Hmph! It seems nature agrees with my superiors about this hunt." He thought watching the dirt path that wound threw the tree roots below. Concealed on every side save one. The small opening was why he had chosen this tree. A rumble of thunder caused him to look up. " This isn't the safest spot for an ambush." He whispered knowing that tall trees were first things lihhtening hit during storms. A sound caused him to unsling his rifle. Looking threw the scope a blurred form revealed itself. The aoe smiled as the gun hummed with energy. The barrel tipped by a glowing purple ball as the apes finger slowly tightened on the trigger.

Not bad. I suggest finding a writers forum where people post stuff for comment and /or critique. I used such resources for years, and have published several dozen poems and a little bit of prose in literary journals all over the country as a result. Also try open mics. You gotta have a thick skin though, if you go the forum route. Some people are very harsh in their comments, but i guarantee you will learn a lot and become a better writer if you participate.

Last edited:
In my opinion, writing is not so much a question of talent as it is of dedication. So many people start to write something but stop halfway or never get past the first chapter. Part of being a writer or an author is writing even when you don't feel like writing, and that's where the dedication comes in. If you're serious about writing, then I wouldn't worry so much about "talent" right now, or if your writing is good. I would recommend writing a lot to get a feel for your style, and reading in your chosen genre to analyze how other people write. I second what Running Girl said about finding a critique group, but I would caution that you might want to hold off until you have a better idea of yourself as a writer. If you're not confident in your skills first, it wouldn't be hard for one careless comment to permanently put a damper on your opinion of your writing.

So many people start to write something but stop halfway or never get past the first chapter. Part of being a writer or an author is writing even when you don't feel like writing, and that's where the dedication comes in.

I agree. Thats why i kept at my first rough draft. I now have a manuscript. That I know must face many criticisms. Changes and new adaptations. But the true test of any author. Begins when it is published. After all if no one likes your work. Then you must be prepared to do it again.

I disagree on the thing about talent and believe it has a lot to do with talent. I've been in many writing groups, classes, programs, etc. and you'll find many writers who practice, study, and plan to earn degrees in creative writing, and they're terrible.

Just read and write every day, and you'll be fine.

I disagree on the thing about talent and believe it has a lot to do with talent. I've been in many writing groups, classes, programs, etc. and you'll find many writers who practice, study, and plan to earn degrees in creative writing, and they're terrible.

At the same time, where will talent get you if you lack the dedication to sit down, write, and utilize it? I didn't mean to be too harsh on talent before; as with most things, I believe good writing is a balance between talent, skill, and dedication.

At the same time, where will talent get you if you lack the dedication to sit down, write, and utilize it? I didn't mean to be too harsh on talent before; as with most things, I believe good writing is a balance between talent, skill, and dedication.

Oh okay, I had taken your previous post to mean that talent is not relevant, but we're actually in exact agreement.

So one of you was nice enough to point out that perhaps I should be a writer or author. I will provide a small sample i made up today. Than after readung it please tell me what you think.
The sky was dark and grey. Rumbles of thunder echoed across the forest and moutains below. Lightening occasionally flashed lightening the land below in a breif blaze of silver fire. In the forests below green eyes looked out from the tree branches. Concealed in their shadows and the darkness the storm above provided. The lightening illumnating breifly the form of a large ape. He had arrived hours before ad climbed the tree he now resided in. The storm had blown in almost thirty minutes ago. Shrouding the land and concealing him further. A fact not lost on him. "Hmph! It seems nature agrees with my superiors about this hunt." He thought watching the dirt path that wound threw the tree roots below. Concealed on every side save one. The small opening was why he had chosen this tree. A rumble of thunder caused him to look up. " This isn't the safest spot for an ambush." He whispered knowing that tall trees were first things lihhtening hit during storms. A sound caused him to unsling his rifle. Looking threw the scope a blurred form revealed itself. The aoe smiled as the gun hummed with energy. The barrel tipped by a glowing purple ball as the apes finger slowly tightened on the trigger.

Very nice!!

Very nice!!

I believe the world needs good stories. Now more then ever. Or at the very least a larger variety of stories. There are many things i cannot do with autism. This is one thing i can do. Bring hope threw words.

New Threads

Top Bottom