• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis

An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis 2021-05-22

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
VictorR submitted a new resource:

An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis - Living with autism

"Being diagnosed with autism as an adult can be disorienting and isolating; however, if you can understand the condition and how it affects perceptions, relationships, and your relationship with the world in general, a happy and successful life is attainable.

Drawing from the author's lived experience, the effect of autism on social skills is described with tips for dealing with family and personal relationships, parenting, living arrangements and employment. This is an essential guide for...

Read more about this resource...

Part I: Autism - The Basics
1) What is Autism?
2) How Do I Tell People About My diagnosis?
3) What Help Is Available for Adults with Autism?

Part II: Autism in Everyday Life
4) General Advice and Tips
5) At Home with Autism
6) Autism in the Workplace
7) Social and Romantic Relationships
8) The Parent with Autism

As I noted in my rating, the first half is pretty generic stuff you'll find in any book.

The second half, in my opinion, is solid and gets better as you go along. There's a lot of tips and suggestions, but more importantly, things to think about. For example, some autistic marriages (and he is in one himself) work great as both sides understand and are able to work with each other, but some result in disastrous clashes due to conflicting needs. The parenting section also gets into interesting thoughts about balancing your needs against the other parents' needs, and the child's needs.

There are lots of books out there like this one. Hopefully written by people who read the earlier ones and have ideas for improving the idea. A quick look at this one confirms it's something I should have been reading before starting out on my awkward life :(.

New Threads

Top Bottom