• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Amused by simple things?

Soleil

My mom has always said that I'm amused by simple things. Like playing with a string, or rocks, or whatever. Today I had an empty coffee cup, and I was blowing into the mouth of the lid, letting the air get pushed through the little vent hole and into my face. I did this for probably a minute or so.

Is anyone else easily amused/ distracted/ focused on simple things?

I'm amused by simple things to the point where I've gotten called crazy for them because I get amused extremely easily. So, I get that.

l am the idiot that will slow down to stare at bird herds. Birds all walking together. I will lose my thought when l catch a lizard looking up at me. Yes, l stare at squirrels too. Simplistic with a capital S. That's my cognitive ability to space out, literally spaz out.

Last edited:
Yes. Little mental games I think, distractions perhaps. One I have done occasionally all my life is look at things with one eye only, and then the other only and still be amazed at the shift in view. :D

l am the idiot that will slow down to stare a bird herds. Birds all walking together. I will lose my thought when l catch a lizard looking up at me. Yes, l stare at squirrels too. Simplistic with a capital S. That's my cognitive ability to space out, literally spaz out.
Please try not to use that term(idiot),it's a cruel psychiatric designation for very innocent adults and is no longer used because it was so cruel.

My mom has always said that I'm amused by simple things. Like playing with a string, or rocks, or whatever. Today I had an empty coffee cup, and I was blowing into the mouth of the lid, letting the air get pushed through the little vent hole and into my face. I did this for probably a minute or so.

Is anyone else easily amused/ distracted/ focused on simple things?

Ask any photographer and you will know the answer, I'm sure members of the general public are rather amused at some of the weird/interesting things people photograph... I know I have a heightened sense of observation whenever I go for a walk to take photos, and sometimes (often) it's very simple things that 99% of people walk by without even noticing...

Please try not to use that term(idiot),it's a cruel psychiatric designation for very innocent adults and is no longer used because it was so cruel.
The “Spa...” word is cruel.
I hope I have read this wrong and you are not calling the poster an idiot.
I confess I told my support worker today that when I was young, before knowing I’m an Aspie, I felt like a “Spa....” it was wrong of me.
Some of us just need a gentle reminder.

l am the idiot that will slow down to stare a bird herds. Birds all walking together. I will lose my thought when l catch a lizard looking up at me. Yes, l stare at squirrels too. Simplistic with a capital S. That's my cognitive ability to space out, literally spaz out.

You’re not an idiot or a spaz. I wouldn’t say that at all. Lots of people stop to watch animals. I sure do. They’re interesting and fun.

I often get mesmerized by ripples in water. The way the leaves of a tree move in the wind. Watching ANY animals interact will trigger a hyperfocus moment that I completely lose myself to for the duration. When I was about 17, at my first real job, they had a little ball made of those tiny rubber suction cups, all facing outward. I spent an HOUR AND A HALF just gently tossing that ball in the air, watching it plop down on the counter, then listening to the "pop" of the suction cups when I pulled it off the counter...over and over and over again. No, I'm not Autistic at all.....

I often get mesmerized by ripples in water. The way the leaves of a tree move in the wind. Watching ANY animals interact will trigger a hyperfocus moment that I completely lose myself to for the duration. When I was about 17, at my first real job, they had a little ball made of those tiny rubber suction cups, all facing outward. I spent an HOUR AND A HALF just gently tossing that ball in the air, watching it plop down on the counter, then listening to the "pop" of the suction cups when I pulled it off the counter...over and over and over again. No, I'm not Autistic at all.....

What is about those suction pops that sound so satisfying?? l agree with that.

Yes. Little mental games I think, distractions perhaps. One I have done occasionally all my life is look at things with one eye only, and then the other only and still be amazed at the shift in view. :D
I do that too! :D

When I was about 17, at my first real job, they had a little ball made of those tiny rubber suction cups, all facing outward. I spent an HOUR AND A HALF just gently tossing that ball in the air, watching it plop down on the counter, then listening to the "pop" of the suction cups when I pulled it off the counter...over and over and over again.
I think I used to play with those in my special PE class; we would gently toss them and the other would catch it with a paddle.

The “Spa...” word is cruel.
I hope I have read this wrong and you are not calling the poster an idiot.
I confess I told my support worker today that when I was young, before knowing I’m an Aspie, I felt like a “Spa....” it was wrong of me.
Some of us just need a gentle reminder.

I don't attach any serious meaning to spaz. It could be Yiddish for all l know. It doesn't reference any particular group on planet earth so l feel safe in using it. Unless there are a separate spaz group of people that l don't know about.

I don't attach any serious meaning to spaz. It could be Yiddish for all l know. It doesn't reference any particular group on planet earth so l feel safe in using it. Unless there are a separate spaz group of people that l don't know about.
It referred to people labelled with cerebral palsy specifically their movements no longer used by neurologists for that particular condition but some what I legally have to call people use it in a degrading way hope they suffer the torments of hell

Spastic
In American slang, the term ‘spaz’ has evolved from a derogatory description of people with disabilities, and is generally understood as a casual word for clumsiness, otherness, sometimes associated with overexcitability, excessive startle response ("jumpiness"), excessive energy, involuntary or random movement, or hyperactivity.

spaz - Wiktionary
The offensiveness of this term and of spastic differs somewhat between the US and the UK. In the UK, they are very offensive. The term is more commonly used in the U.S. but is still offensive to many in the disability community.

Language Log: A brief history of "spaz"

My mom has always said that I'm amused by simple things.
good for you. You focus on the details it seems.
I once play a simple hymn melody on an organ with just one note in the bass (called a drone). It was just amazing. I was told to this by my teacher. I think learning to play or sing music is all about finding all the simple things and see how all the complex stuff uses it.

New Threads

Top Bottom