• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

America's Going Back To The Moon

Judge

V.I.P Member
Last edited:
Yes, I seen that. I think it's cool. But I won't be sitting in a class room at school watching it this time. :)

Yes, I seen that. I think it's cool. But I won't be sitting in a class room at school watching it this time. :)

I know what you mean. If I live to see it, this time around it will be live and in color ! ;)

I know what you mean. If I live to see it, this time around it will be live and in color ! ;)
Yes, that's true, isn't it! lol And we can turn it on tv without getting up or choose to watch at whatever time is convenient for us.

It's official.

"The Artemis program will land American astronauts on the Moon by 2024 and establish a sustainable human presence on Earth’s natural satellite. Artemis will also make history by landing the first woman on the Moon."

-Vice President Mike Pence, Chairman of the National Space Council

On Apollo 11 anniversary, Pence announces that Orion capsule for manned Moon missions is ready for debut flight

In honor of the next generation of men and women with the "right stuff":

Yes this is so cool! I saw this on THE NASA channel a while back. They're also setting up a telescope or telescopes. Can't wait to see pics of what that thing picks up, a quarter of a million miles farther out there. If I am still alive and working, that's a vacation day. Guaranteed. The day they land I mean. I will not miss that.
I have to wonder what the Flat Earth morons think about all of it. Yeah I said it. It goes for anyone here too. If you "believe" the Earth is flat, you are a moron. go for it NASA! 1/2 the folks working for NASA are on the spectrum. Deal with it. The world needs us.

This is nothing but political theater. It's all about Trump's ego, and the need to keep distracting Americans from life and death matters that are being neglected.

I love space and the idea of exploration. My super super dream job was being in the Space Rangers fighting big bugs from Helios 7. ;) I agree with Catana that this drive is mostly politically driven. Other countries are persuing space programs and so the US wants to get back in front mainly for military reasons to show it has the biggest... rocket. But the last drive was also political, height of cold war/sputnik stuff as well.

Personally I don't care the least about the political implications that may span a spectrum of agendas from John Kennedy to Walter Mondale to Donald Trump. Only the scientific ones, where NASA has somehow managed to outlive every political regime poised to support or disband it. Especially if this next mission to the moon is really just a precursor for a mission to mars. Just wish I could live to see that one!

Besides, it may prove quite profitable for humanity to explore to the idea of permanently relocating their most toxic environmental pursuits outside our own atmosphere. Not to mention humanity having a "plan b" of sorts in the event our environment becomes so damaged that it is no longer sustainable.

Something not previously thought of in a past era when even the prevention of public littering was a new concept. Space exploration may be the one catalyst that continues to draw the major players together towards a common and peaceful interest.

Last edited:
REMINDER

For discussion of political issues, please use
Politics Discussion

Topic at hand in this thread is exploration of off earth area, the moon, and
the means required to get there.

I believe in the value of the space program. Competition breeds innovation. That's how we got to the moon in the first place. And, there were certainly more than just a handful of ASD members diligently calculating and designing all the possible scenarios. As a kid, my stamp collection reflected Soviet and American space exploration stamps. Many other countries celebrated space exploration in their stamps as well. They represented human achievement. We squabble so much that we forget we are all the same family. I was proud to watch the Apollo-Soyuz streak across the horizon - a tiny, shiny dot moving faster than anything I had ever seen. It was only visible for about 10 seconds. It's a good memory I had with my dad. I also watched the moon landing on TV, but I had to force myself to stay awake. I'm glad I did.

Here the thing. Ever since the Apollo program ended. We've never have left earth orbit. Why you ask? Because we've never came up with a "cheap access to orbit" launch system. The space shuttle promised that, but never delivered. In fact, it ended up killing 14 astronauts in the end. SpaceX is working on that with their reusable booster system and although, it's progress. We still have a ways to go. The problem is, is that it's too damn expensive to launch things/people into orbit. If we are ever going to put a man on the Moon, let alone Mars. Launch cost are gonna have to come down to about a $100/lb ($220/KG). Right now, it cost about $10,000/lb and even though SpaceX now holds a record of $2200/lb. We still have a ways to go.

I believe in the value of the space program. Competition breeds innovation. That's how we got to the moon in the first place. And, there were certainly more than just a handful of ASD members diligently calculating and designing all the possible scenarios. As a kid, my stamp collection reflected Soviet and American space exploration stamps. Many other countries celebrated space exploration in their stamps as well. They represented human achievement. We squabble so much that we forget we are all the same family. I was proud to watch the Apollo-Soyuz streak across the horizon - a tiny, shiny dot moving faster than anything I had ever seen. It was only visible for about 10 seconds. It's a good memory I had with my dad. I also watched the moon landing on TV, but I had to force myself to stay awake. I'm glad I did.

I've always been fascinated by space and its possibilities. My husband and I saw the space shuttle streak across the sky years ago but didn't know what it was - we literally thought it was a UFO. A short time later I saw on the news that the shuttle had flown from Houston to Cape Canaveral and realized that was what we had witnessed from our back yard. So cool! If you ever get the chance, go to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington and look at John Glenn's space capsule. It is so tiny and unsophisticated compared to modern spacecraft and gave me even greater respect for Senator Glenn's bravery.

Many inventions and innovations developed for the space program have become useful to us on earth - and not just Tang and space blankets! I can foresee a future where our food is grown in space, free of earth's pollution. But I probably won't be around to taste it.

Another interesting proposal is that this time around, there are considerations of making a permanent base or colony on the moon itself. So many possibilities in all of this, given the advance of technology since 1969. With the advent of using the private sector to offset public costs. No telling where all this may lead to in our future.

Another interesting proposal is that this time around, there are considerations of making a permanent base or colony on the moon itself.

They've been saying that we would have a city on the moon by the year 2000. Never happened.

So many possibilities in all of this, given the advance of technology since 1969. With the advent of using the private sector to offset public costs. No telling where all this may lead to in our future.

Yes indeed, technology has advanced in many areas. Especially with computers. But unfortunately, rockets have not. Expendable rockets are still being used to this day and as I've said in a previous post. Unless launch costs get down to $100/lb. Man won't be leaving Earth orbit anytime soon.

They've been saying that we would have a city on the moon by the year 2000. Never happened.

Yes indeed, technology has advanced in many areas. Especially with computers. But unfortunately, rockets have not. Expendable rockets are still being used to this day and as I've said in a previous post. Unless launch costs get down to $100/lb. Man won't be leaving Earth orbit anytime soon.

You need to consider a perspective of time. Man first landed on the moon fifty years ago. Now they are talking about doing it again in the next five years.

At this point no one is using the word "soon" relative to any of this. What remains the big story is that there is new momentum at the possibility of renewed manned spaceflight. Of course- none of this is going to happen overnight either. This may ultimately involve a future that neither you or I may be around to witness.

Nevertheless it's still exciting to see people getting the ball rolling again, and this time including the private sector.

Last edited:
Personally I think we should have done this sooner.
This sums up why I think it's a good idea pretty well.

Not my video but the channel is a favorite of mine

Here the thing. Ever since the Apollo program ended. We've never have left earth orbit. Why you ask? Because we've never came up with a "cheap access to orbit" launch system. The space shuttle promised that, but never delivered. In fact, it ended up killing 14 astronauts in the end. SpaceX is working on that with their reusable booster system and although, it's progress. We still have a ways to go. The problem is, is that it's too damn expensive to launch things/people into orbit. If we are ever going to put a man on the Moon, let alone Mars. Launch cost are gonna have to come down to about a $100/lb ($220/KG). Right now, it cost about $10,000/lb and even though SpaceX now holds a record of $2200/lb. We still have a ways to go.

Exactly! The cost is too high, BUT if we could figure out an efficient mining system on the moon, then they would more than make their money back as there are billions or trillions of dollars worth of resources there, but we are definitely a ways away from figuring that one out.

Exactly! The cost is too high, BUT if we could figure out an efficient mining system on the moon, then they would more than make their money back as there are billions or trillions of dollars worth of resources there, but we are definitely a ways away from figuring that one out.
Not just the moon - there are all sorts of near earth objects that would be profitable.

There are plenty of concepts for ways to orbit that would greatly reduce costs over time - they just have really high start up costs.
Things like orbital rings or sky hooks.

Not easy but doable.

New Threads

Top Bottom