• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

American comics or manga?

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
Does anyone here collect either American comics or manga or both? I honestly collect both. It’s a hobby of mine to especially collect 90’s and early to mid 00’s X-books (X-Men and related titles) as well as 90’s manga like Excel Saga, Houshin Engi, and Flame of Recca. However, I don’t collect stuff just for the sake of it. I also read what I collect.

I do generally prefer manga, though. I like Marvel and DC but it can be irritating when a new team for a title takes over and it can go in a bad direction. Manga tends to have a more consistent art and story direction since they are generally done by a singular force unless the mangaka seriously messes up.

Last edited:
My problem with western comics is that they go on forever, and with so many different writers you can end up with so many different versions of the same character within the same continuity. Then there are so many different continuities now, and reboots and such that I just can't be bothered.

The problem I have with manga is that they can also go on forever. It costs a lot of money to try to keep up with the stories... so I've been focusing largely on omnibuses, where I can get the whole collection in as few volumes as possible to save money.
I particularly like slice-of-life manga (Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&, K-on!, and such) but also shounen stuff like Fullmetal Alchemist, Ruroni Kenshin, or Death Note. I really like Clamp and anything by Osamu Tezuka.

My problem with western comics is that they go on forever, and with so many different writers you can end up with so many different versions of the same character within the same continuity. Then there are so many different continuities now, and reboots and such that I just can't be bothered.

The problem I have with manga is that they can also go on forever. It costs a lot of money to try to keep up with the stories... so I've been focusing largely on omnibuses, where I can get the whole collection in as few volumes as possible to save money.
I particularly like slice-of-life manga (Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&, K-on!, and such) but also shounen stuff like Fullmetal Alchemist, Ruroni Kenshin, or Death Note. I really like Clamp and anything by Osamu Tezuka.

I just remembered two comics that aren’t American but are Italian and French respectively. Those would be Keepers of the Maser and Requiem Chevalier Vampire. Both are very good and are creator owned but they will probably never be finished since neither have been updated for years now.

I haven’t kept up with Hellboy and Tarot Witch of the Black Rose lately but they are consistent as far as writing goes, especially since both are creator owned.

DC and Marvel really need to lay off with the reboots. However, I still buy some titles from both companies if the art and story are decent and I want to support my friend’s comic book shop. For the most part, I like Jonathan Hickman’s handling of the current X-books and I like how some characters from the 90’s are getting some attention. I also like how Lobo has been appearing more lately on the DC side of things.

Not only do some manga go on forever, some never reach their conclusions. Look at Guyver, Bastard!!, and Hunter x Hunter for some examples. However, I am very invested in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Berserk, Battle Angel Alita, and Made in Abyss so I will go along for the ride even if there is no end in sight.

Last edited:
However, I am very invested in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
JoJo is a little different, because while the series itself keeps going on and on, it continually changes characters and settings, which keeps things new and interesting.

Depends. I can't find anything that suits my interests from either country. I want a story about animals who decide they are not going to take the manipulation and abuse from humans and go to war against them.

JoJo is a little different, because while the series itself keeps going on and on, it continually changes characters and settings, which keeps things new and interesting.

Battle Angel Alita has been similar in its publication. While a lot of the same characters keep appearing, lots of new ones also appear and the setting has changed for each major story.

Battle Angel Alita has been similar in its publication. While a lot of the same characters keep appearing, lots of new ones also appear and the setting has changed for each major story.
I've heard of Alita, and I know they recently made a move about her, but I've never actually seen/ read it...

I've heard of Alita, and I know they recently made a move about her, but I've never actually seen/ read it...

Woefully late reply, I know, but the Alita movie is worth watching. It’s one of the few times an adaptation from its source of media is done right. The second Guyver movie by Steve Wang is another example and I actually found the live-action Ghost in The Shell to be decent. Of course, the manga should still be read first. There is an OVA of it that serves as a promotion for the manga since it’s only two episodes long. You could watch it and see if the world of Alita is worth it.

New Threads

Top Bottom