• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Amazon was a bust

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
Unfortunately, all Amazon had available was the overnight shift and I have a sleep disorder in addition to being on Remeron so I won't be able to do that. In fact my psychiatrist was adamant that I do not work overnight because she felt it would potentially interfere with the medication and might lead to worsening depression. So, I went to the library to get a book on UNIX Shell Scripting so I can improve my UNIX skills and at least keep my brain engaged. I am only really an intermediate UNIX user and I want to get better at some of the more advanced aspects. Plus, I am a huge advocate of self-learning.

I'm sorry, too, that it didn't work out.
Some people are more cut out for night shift than others. I was always more of a night owl and not a morning person. It did work for me but I never tried to change my sleeping pattern from one day to the next. I think that's when people end up sick or depressed or gets what they now call a syndrome. I slept the same hours each day and my days didn't switch around. I slept from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. and when I woke up, that was my morning. When my boss would try to make me come in to a mandatory meeting at noon I would tell her it was like asking people to come in middle of their night and I wasn't going to do it. But I've always said I could SIT up until 7 a.m. but I could never GET up at 7 a.m.
But anyway, I hope you do find something that you'll be able to do.

Sorry it didn't work out mate, but I know that you'll keep at it. Doing some home-study is a great way to keep your mind occupied and your spirits up! It sounds like we're similar in that respect - I always learn better on my own, at my own pace - I learn so much more efficiently that way. Never been good in classrooms :eek:

To be honest, it's probably for the best. That specific job... I know two people who worked jobs like the Amazon thing. It's a nightmare. It's not just Amazon either, anything involving shipping can be horrid. UPS is a good example (a major shipping service here in the US)... I've seen the inside of one of their facilities once. Not exactly a good place (and if more people got to see what those are like, they probably wouldnt ship with UPS anymore, I'll put it that way). Any job there would be... bad. What's more, that sort of job can leave you with lasting physical problems. As in, the sort that never go away. And take it from me: You DO NOT want to risk that. You dont. I say this from personal experience with the type of problem it can produce.

Maybe it frustrates the job search a bit... but yeah, it really might be for the best that this specific one didnt work out. I mean, getting a job is one thing. Getting a really AWFUL job that could have permanent side effects is a whole other thing.

I was looking on a job site in the UK last week and they had Amazon vacancies, I half considered applying but like you I can't really do night shifts.

I was looking on a job site in the UK last week and they had Amazon vacancies, I half considered applying but like you I can't really do night shifts.

Most jobs with Amazon involve repetitive manual tasks while standing. The last place you want to work in if you have physical limitations to the contrary.

Under "reasonable adjustments" they'd have to allow me to be seated, I can't stand up all day with my back problems.

"Reasonable adjustments". I think you already know where that would go.

They'd probably deny me employment as well based on age alone. Of course they must formally spin it to keep it legal. But we know it happens in the workplace.

Amazon....one tough- even brutal place to work at under even the best of circumstances.

Last edited:
If you accept a job and you have completed your trial period successfully then you can ask for "reasonable adjustments" with some sense of security - at least that you could take them to a tribunal if they refuse.
If you accept a job and ask for "reasonable adjustments" whilst still in your trial period - i.e. before you have a FULL contract, then they can fire you for any reason and your chances of winning a tribunal are incredibly remote.
Unfair I know, but that's the reality in UK employment law as we stand.
So if you accepted the job then you'd have to put up with standing for 3 to 6 months before you asked for adjustments to be made unless they happen to be a VERY forward thinking employer. Amazon don't have a reputation that suggests they would be that way.

Under "reasonable adjustments" they'd have to allow me to be seated, I can't stand up all day with my back problems.

Shipping jobs of this sort that's being discussed cant be done seated. This is all heavy lifting, you understand. As in, large packages. Sometimes very large. And yeah, you'd be expected to do it all day. Every day. Standing, lifting, and walking.

That's what this type of job is like. Like I said, these facilities arent exactly places I'd call "pleasant". They wouldnt make "reasonable adjustments" as they simply wouldnt hire in the first place. To a company like this, either someone is already prepared to do all the heavy lifting (and KEEP doing it), or they dont get the job at all.

I know I wouldnt be able to do it either. I have enough trouble carrying a jug of milk across the bloody Walmart.

It's not like it's literally the ONLY type of job you can get at a company like this... but it's how pretty much everyone starts out.

Sorry about the job issues. The night shift is not for everybody. It's great that you are continuing to learn. Staying active and remaining focused is the best approach to meeting your goals. Good things will come.

I've applied to a few more jobs today. We'll see if anything becomes of them. Thanks for all of your support! I really, really appreciate it.

Good for you. Sleep is so important. I hope you find something more suitable.

To be honest, it's probably for the best. That specific job... I know two people who worked jobs like the Amazon thing. It's a nightmare. It's not just Amazon either, anything involving shipping can be horrid. UPS is a good example (a major shipping service here in the US)... I've seen the inside of one of their facilities once. Not exactly a good place (and if more people got to see what those are like, they probably wouldnt ship with UPS anymore, I'll put it that way). Any job there would be... bad. What's more, that sort of job can leave you with lasting physical problems. As in, the sort that never go away. And take it from me: You DO NOT want to risk that. You dont. I say this from personal experience with the type of problem it can produce.

Maybe it frustrates the job search a bit... but yeah, it really might be for the best that this specific one didnt work out. I mean, getting a job is one thing. Getting a really AWFUL job that could have permanent side effects is a whole other thing.

I've been working at Amazon for about two years. One thing I would change is the break times- you only get two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break. Seems to me they could at least increase the 15 minute break times to 30 minutes. That's probably common at a lot of places, but I think it's ridiculous the other break times are only 15 minutes, especially considering the physical work involved. But considering there aren't a lot of options for me I'm sticking with Amazon for now, and one plus here is we get a 3 day weekend, which does help, I think. Also, don't get me started on competitions for extra break time. Yes, that happens.

Last edited:
I had a punt on seasonal temp work with Amazon just before last Christmas, anyway the week before last they sent me an email saying I'd not been selected (Probably because I declared my health problems)

New Threads

Top Bottom