• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I truly a good person? Read below!

BlueApple

Hello autismforums.com! My first forum post here so please be patient. Thank you!

Am I a good-hearted, generous person?
Here are the things I think are good about me as a human being:

-I try my best to be generous and kind to others.
-I say "Thank you" way more often than I say "I want"
-I do not fuss when asked to do something for someone else.
-I work for what I want. I don't expect what I want to be handed to me on a silver platter, no, I work for it. I usually buy it myself with money I earned as allowance or from selling stuff I do not want. I am interested in collecting things but do not expect it to just be handed to me.
-I am regularly donating/selling my stuff.
-I know right from wrong. When something isn't right I try my best to make it right.
-I have pretty good performance in school. I have A's and B's but not to brag.
-I don't do things just for praise.
-I give a lot of things to my brother, like movies or toys.
-I am grateful for what I have. Whenever I want something new, which isn't all that often, I always work for it or sell stuff to pay for it.
-I am responsible.

So am I a good person? I want to be humble and not brag but am I in any way?

Thank You

~~~BlueApple~~~

My religion forbids me to judge another person, favorably or not.

However, if you're actually telling the truth here (and I don't see why not) I would say this is a ton of great "natural virtue" stuff. The old pagan Romans used to have real virtues like gravity, honor, dignity, patriotism (these sound really weird, but we're in a Christian & post-Christian Western world also influenced by Platonism, so altruism makes sense.)

I would say you sound like an actual pleasant person & great to be around, though, and the very fact that you want to do good, means you have good will, and I don't mean where you can get shirts for two dollars!

Now one thing I did see wrong: you don't have humility right. OK. Humility is the opposite of pride. Pride is setting yourself up as best. Now that's bad, because it's not true. A humble person therefore must be the opposite of proud, and then that means an honest evaluation of yourself...bad and good alike. Most people only concentrate on the bad but here you are looking at the good sides too.

I'm Roman Catholic (which is where a lot of this stuff comes from LOL) and honestly one thing that religion has, is a practice of personal self-examination. The "Examination of conscience" is for hunting sins before going to confession; it's kind of a mindfulness exercise. Unfortunately very few Catholics practice it all the way any more, but one half of a good proper Examen is looking at the good things you do, and being thankful for having had the opportunity to do something decent.

I'd say you sound like a very nice person indeed.

Based on what I understand about humans, I’d say your a fairly superior 14 year old given the qualities you have listed.

@BlueApple I think you're a good person with a good heart based on the positive qualities you listed. If you're like I was and believe there are two groups of people (good people and bad people) I want you to know that's called black and white thinking and isn't true. No one is all good or all bad. There is good and bad in everyone. Making a mistake won't make you a bad person. Someone doing something bad doesn't make them a bad person.

I believe God created human beings in His image which means I think everyone is a good person. It's our mindset and actions that vary from one person to another with varying degrees of goodness. That means even if you were to get angry and do bad things, you would still be a good person. It would just mean your behavior was less good than it could have been. I'd say there are a few good people who do mostly good things, a few good people who do mostly evil things, and the rest of us who are good people whose behavior falls somewhere in between those two extremes.

Welcome i also believe all people 'are good' and all have their flaws or 'dark side' knowing yourself and values prehaps enable us to develop a 'filter' and protection for those that may take advantage of our nature and 'goodness', prehaps accepted all of you the 'good' and not so 'good' is the way, i struggle with 'black and white' thinking and understanding others wants needs and intentions adding a layer of difficulty to this, from your list of qualities i'd say you were a kind considerate person.

Hi and welcome. Your actions sound great! And like most of us I expect you are a mix, not so much of good and bad, actually, which aren't the main words I would apply to people, but we are all varied in how we feel and think and act at different times for different reasons.

At 14 I was still at home with family, and usually family have a big influence on who we are and how things are for us at that point. Lots of room to grow. Then at 18 I was at university, very different perspective, alongside contemporaries and dealing with the world more directly.

Good name, Blue Apple! I hope you enjoy it here.

:dolphin::spoutingwhale::whale::fish::snowflake::bluecar::oncomingcar::trolleybus::surfer:

New Threads

Top Bottom