• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I too old school? (photography)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Alright, so some of this question comes from how social media (I know what many of you think :rolleyes: ), and in particular Instagram and how the algorithm is completely favouring videos now... And not that I care that much, but my recent activity has plummeted on Instagram... I've heard from several people how they feel and have noticed that their photo posts are falling on deaf ears, because even your friends might not be noticing the posts... But that isn't necessarily 100% of what this post is about...

Yes, I am a somewhat old 50 years old but can tend to be set in my ways... I really don't like and/or feel inspired to make videos, when everyone else seems to be embracing it, and social media seems to be giving far more attention to people posting videos vs. people posting still images (again why do I care?)

This past week I decided to post again on my Flickr account, because I'm starting to tire of Instagram, especially the way it has been going lately (see first paragraph), so far that appears to be going over like a lead balloon, hardly any attention (again why do I care?)

Also... A good speaker at camera club tonight, a lady in our club who is by far the most creative photographer I know, just the way her mind works, including her work flow with phone and tablet cameras... As a very good amateur photographer she is utilizing various phone apps related to a very creative approach...

Nothing wrong with old school documentary photography of course, she has often complimented me on that approach of mine... The way some people navigate the digital world so easily leaves me dizzy, it's also just not my style, but I sometimes feel like I'm being trampled because I'm so old school in my general approach, certainly being ignored or even being blocked because my content probably isn't exciting enough or hyper creative :rolleyes:

For the record, I do think movies generally looked better when they used actual film instead of the digital cameras they use now. Your topic made me think of that a little bit.

Instagram is trying to keep up with TikTok, and so the focus is on videos. Same with reels on Youtube.

People seem to want to see short, spectacular and wonderful things. I'm not sure overloading on that is a good thing. I wonder if it messes up people's sense of self worth. If all you see on social media every day is wonderous things - surely that's got to make day to day life feel a little beige?

Ed

Maybe it's an age thing, I have little interest in video, it's a format where I really struggle to absorb any information. I even ditched one of my regular news services after complaining many times that they've dropped the traditional text stories in favour of video clips.

I love still photography, and it's been an on and off hobby of mine all my life. I'm not so keen on digital black and white, I reckon the old black and white film had much more contrast and yet at the same time was much more subtle.

Although I haven't commented on them I've really enjoyed the pictures you have posted in here.

I used to like taking pictures, took lots of pictures. But then everything changed, everyone started using software and filters to alter pictures and I just lost interest in it. I guess now it's all about video. I understand the problem, things have changed a lot.

Alright, so some of this question comes from how social media (I know what many of you think :rolleyes: ), and in particular Instagram and how the algorithm is completely favouring videos now... And not that I care that much, but my recent activity has plummeted on Instagram... I've heard from several people how they feel and have noticed that their photo posts are falling on deaf ears, because even your friends might not be noticing the posts... But that isn't necessarily 100% of what this post is about...

Yes, I am a somewhat old 50 years old but can tend to be set in my ways... I really don't like and/or feel inspired to make videos, when everyone else seems to be embracing it, and social media seems to be giving far more attention to people posting videos vs. people posting still images (again why do I care?)

This past week I decided to post again on my Flickr account, because I'm starting to tire of Instagram, especially the way it has been going lately (see first paragraph), so far that appears to be going over like a lead balloon, hardly any attention (again why do I care?)

Also... A good speaker at camera club tonight, a lady in our club who is by far the most creative photographer I know, just the way her mind works, including her work flow with phone and tablet cameras... As a very good amateur photographer she is utilizing various phone apps related to a very creative approach...

Nothing wrong with old school documentary photography of course, she has often complimented me on that approach of mine... The way some people navigate the digital world so easily leaves me dizzy, it's also just not my style, but I sometimes feel like I'm being trampled because I'm so old school in my general approach, certainly being ignored or even being blocked because my content probably isn't exciting enough or hyper creative :rolleyes:
Art is art, no matter what medium you choose.

"You are the different drummer everyone claims to dance to"

I used to like taking pictures, took lots of pictures. But then everything changed, everyone started using software and filters to alter pictures and I just lost interest in it. I guess now it's all about video. I understand the problem, things have changed a lot.
Instagram is trying to keep up with TikTok, and so the focus is on videos. Same with reels on Youtube.

People seem to want to see short, spectacular and wonderful things. I'm not sure overloading on that is a good thing. I wonder if it messes up people's sense of self worth. If all you see on social media every day is wonderous things - surely that's got to make day to day life feel a little beige?

Ed
Art is art, no matter what medium you choose.

"You are the different drummer everyone claims to dance to"

Nothing is stopping me from doing anything, just some of my musing... I do feel more than ever that I'm being largely ignored...

Be true to yourself, it's all you can do. If Instagram is losing appeal - do what your gut says. Same for digital.

I was looking into how macro is achieved with getting everything into focus. Once I found out it was motorised camera rails and image stacking software. I thought - nope, not for me. As it doesn't feel authentic.

Be authentic, go with what makes you happy. With my art people have often said "have you thought of this" etc and it makes my stomach churn. I politely sound like I'm accommodating the idea, or at least pondering it. When in reality I'd love to say a firm and blunt not a bloody chance.

Ed

Try looking at this with a different perspective.

Real art never goes out of style, unlike that which depends on being merely trendy- or social. If and when anyone else insists to the contrary, it is they who you must remove from your artistic existence rather than compromise your methods and style.

This is when you must decide whether "dig your feet in" and truly be an artist, or abandon it all just to be one of the group. And to ponder how many great artists did not have to sacrifice in order to pursue and develop their craft.

It's a choice you and you alone have to make.

Last edited:
I'm worried I'm too "old school" or just "old" because I still draw, paint and color by hand and not by computer. When I dry to draw something by computer it looks stupid because it was not something I learned to do on my own early in life, and I hate it. Even when I make designs for virtual clothing in my Animal Crossing games I think it looks stupid, especially when I see other people's designs. And I only just started really getting into submitting my arts, crafts, and literature on DeviantArt and the site keeps going on about AI "rt" and how wonderful it is, but I think it sounds horrible and it looks like I'm not the only one who does.

I'm almost 49 years old. I feel like the whole world hates me because of my age. I'm kind of hoping I don't live past 60, as if there's still going to be a world left by then, anyway.

I'm worried I'm too "old school" or just "old" because I still draw, paint and color by hand and not by computer. When I dry to draw something by computer it looks stupid because it was not something I learned to do on my own early in life, and I hate it. Even when I make designs for virtual clothing in my Animal Crossing games I think it looks stupid, especially when I see other people's designs. And I only just started really getting into submitting my arts, crafts, and literature on DeviantArt and the site keeps going on about AI "rt" and how wonderful it is, but I think it sounds horrible and it looks like I'm not the only one who does.

I'm almost 49 years old. I feel like the whole world hates me because of my age. I'm kind of hoping I don't live past 60, as if there's still going to be a world left by then, anyway.

If doing the art relaxes you just keep doing it anyway... Don't worry about anyone else... Despite what I say sometimes, that is what I will keep doing...

If doing the art relaxes you just keep doing it anyway... Don't worry about anyone else... Despite what I say sometimes, that is what I will keep doing...
I don't think there's any wrong way to do photography. If you like shooting film only, great. If you like doing stacked focus shots of macro objects, great. If you like to Photoshop the living hell out of your digital images, great. My number one piece of advice when I teach photography classes is: Follow your intrigue.

My other piece of advice is: The only audience that matters is you. Shoot what you enjoy looking at as that's what keeps your images authentic. There is nothing worse than trying to photograph what people expect you to instead of what you want to. Don't get wrapped up in the validation of others, just go out and have fun with a camera or three.

New Threads

Top Bottom