• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I the only one on the spectrum who does NOT care for nature?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I notice that a very nontrivial amount of people on the autistic spectrum feel some sort of attachment to nature. I've honestly never felt that sort of way. Nature always bored me. The only time I felt an attachment to nature is on the night of August 18th on this year, and that's only because I did a lot of substances at once.

I've always felt a spiritual attachment to areas with a very "industrial" look. On the first day of this year, me and my dad went to Downtown Los Angeles and we couldn't help but admire how beautiful the "run-down" scenery looked. I felt like I walked into a painting. I also live in the San Fernando Valley, of which some neighborhoods are very working-class and mechanical-looking. My dad's job is around that general area too.

As an admirer of heavy industry, I can appreciate your view of industrial landscapes. Places like the River Rouge complex I find thrilling. During my college years I worked at places like Chrysler Lynch Road Assembly I also enjoy natural history and am active in SCUBA, canoeing, and other outdoor activities.

I notice that a very nontrivial amount of people on the autistic spectrum feel some sort of attachment to nature. I've honestly never felt that sort of way. Nature always bored me. The only time I felt an attachment to nature is on the night of August 18th on this year, and that's only because I did a lot of substances at once.

I've always felt a spiritual attachment to areas with a very "industrial" look. On the first day of this year, me and my dad went to Downtown Los Angeles and we couldn't help but admire how beautiful the "run-down" scenery looked. I felt like I walked into a painting. I also live in the San Fernando Valley, of which some neighborhoods are very working-class and mechanical-looking. My dad's job is around that general area too.
None of us are alone; we're all alone. I've always preferred the company of cats and dogs to most people, but aside from that nature is good but not exactly an interest. I don't resonate with the industrial like you, but I'd prefer to be looking at a bridge built several centuries ago than a tree or a bird. I love fictional creations more than anything really. I just remembered what my intended reply is - Celebrate everything that makes you unique, so long as you're not harmful, celebrate what makes you you. Sounds like a good Dad you have there too.

I prefer nightlife in the city over nature. But that is just me. I like seeing live music at a bar even when I am not drinking alcohol. I like the neon signs and the dim lights in a gentrified city night.

The only nature I like is the kind that reclaims old structures. Nature without the human element is boring as
far as I am concerned.

Sounds like almost no one gives a hoot about nature on this thread so far, so you are not an untypical ND after all. Heh heh. I like nature, but I also like cities and streets and industrial landscapes. Bruce Springsteen wrote some songs about it...

I don't want to keep posting in serious threads anymore but this is something I definitely have to say something about.

I guess I'm the only one who loves nature and animals and isn't so crazy about humans and technology, lol... I have gotten nothing but unconditional love from animals, and most humans have done nothing but hurt me. But I understand that to have an appreciation for nature and animals the way I do, your life has to be impacted by them profoundly.

...And some people have brains that connect better with animals than people, and some people's brains react to dogs and cats the same way they react to human babies. Dogs also have a noticeable chemical reaction in their brains when they see a human face. There have been studies on all of these things. But studies have also shown that interacting with dogs releases serotonin and dopamine, and that dogs are good for our mental health:

I don't want to keep posting in serious threads anymore but this is something I definitely have to say something about.

I guess I'm the only one who loves nature and animals and isn't so crazy about humans and technology, lol... I have gotten nothing but unconditional love from animals, and most humans have done nothing but hurt me. But I understand that to have an appreciation for nature and animals the way I do, your life has to be impacted by them profoundly.

...And some people have brains that connect better with animals than people, and some people's brains react to dogs and cats the same way they react to human babies. Dogs also have a noticeable chemical reaction in their brains when they see a human face. There have been studies on all of these things. But studies have also shown that interacting with dogs releases serotonin and dopamine, and that dogs are good for our mental health:

Dogs do nothing for me. I feel nothing for them.

I live in the countryside and surrounded by forest and a lot of cows. I do like this type of nature and there’s always something interesting to spot when out in the forest or walking down the farm path like raptor birds and the occasional lizard. One time I saw a fox. But I like doing these walks at night because no one is around and it’s peaceful. However, I’m not an extreme nature person, and that’s ok. I also Like visiting towns that are a few centuries older, not the modern architecture Because that really bores me but if others like it, that’s good for them, and my city has some really nice old town places to go to if I wanted. I guess you do what you want to do and what brings you happiness. I have known ASD people who love nature and have to be in it all the time. I have know others who prefer their gaming room to anything outside.
Dogs do nothing for me. I feel nothing for them.

And that’s ok for you. You know that @Luca was talking about her likes right?

I don't know about others, but I have a very strong attachment to nature. But I think it's for two simple reasons; Norwegians love nature. Our lands slogan is "Powered By Nature". The most popular thing to do in Norway on vacations and weekends is to go to a cabin in the forest or on a mountain and sit there in nature. Skiing is very popular and that's a nature experience. And nature here looks/is amazing. It has been like this for a long time, we are nature freaks.

And my parents grew up in forests, my mom was especially interested in nature so she was taking me on trips in nature from I was born, looking at things and experiencing nature. So I guess I didn't have a chance, of course I love nature. :) It's in my blood. I live where I live now because of the nature, that's why I moved here. Even my profile pic here is nature. A cabin on an island in a fjord, my dream place.

1664356492789.png 1664357016988.png

Last edited:
I like both for different reasons - countyside, places of natural beauty, and cities. For me, though, cities can be quite hectic and noisy, not very relaxing. But in the city, there's usually lots to see and do.

I love urban settings (living in a city of 1.3 million), and also enjoy industrial settings...

As a photographer these are two of my favourite themes to photograph, when most other photographers take photos just west of me in the mountains of Banff... I do appreciate nature for moments of time but am quite happy in the urban

I can also tell you about little mini spots of nature not that far from central Calgary, where a sense of escape from the city is possible...

1. I think many of us have more of an attachment with animals than we do with people.
2. I think many of us enjoy being out in nature,...away from people, the responsibilities, the noises,...it's an escape,...it's a way to push your cares away and just be free.
3. There are a lot of stunningly beautiful places in this world,...places you have to see to appreciate.

I've experienced swimming with Hawaiian green sea turtles in Maui,...they just swim right up to you. I've experienced California grey whales looking at me from 3 feet away,...that big eye checking me out from our little boat,...just out of reach from my hand. I've swam with wild dolphins in the Florida Keys,...just friendly and curious. I had a mother and baby manatee swim right up to me while I sat on a dock at a boat launch in Florida,...tickled my feet with their whiskers. My parents had horses, cattle, goats, sheep,...an entire farm yard of animals,...you could just walk up to and pet. I've always had a good experience with animals.

Having said that, my personal tastes in architecture and design is also more of the industrial, mid century modern, and Scandinavian. Clean lines, no clutter,...just what you need and nothing that you don't.

My appreciation for nature developed slowly and fairly steadily from near zero as I saw how exposure helped me calm down.

Only nature I care for is marine life, to me it’s more interesting than land animals.
Some species have amazing colours. Metallic blues, greens and reds. One thing many overlook is that some of the most ancient species alive today live in the sea like horseshoe crabs. Nautilus too... I think they are the only surviving relative of the ammonite?

What lurks in those depths that we have yet to encounter?

Some species have amazing colours. Metallic blues, greens and reds. One thing many overlook is that some of the most ancient species alive today live in the sea like horseshoe crabs. Nautilus too... I think they are the only surviving relative of the ammonite?

What lurks in those depths that we have yet to encounter?
In a marine biology class I once got to look at a horseshoe crab! I’m still really happy I got the opportunity. I once also dissected a squid in the same class which was really fun!

New Threads

Top Bottom