• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alternative treatments: Lemon Balm for Anxiety & Depression

Aster

@<>@<>@<>@
I've been experimenting with standard pharmaceutical and alternative treatments for fairly serious depression and anxiety for over 15 years. I have tried most of the SSRIs, SSNRIs, benzodiazepines, antipsychotics even beta blockers, and older tricyclic antidepressants. Having hit a long rough patch again, I've been trying new remedies in hopes of uncovering something that helps, even a little bit. My anxiety has always responded well to a Tension Tamer tea with hops and lemon balm in it, among other herbs; I thought I would try these herbs separately in supplement form to test them individually. I am amazed at the effectiveness of lemon balm. I purchased a whole herb supplement, and the dosage is three capsules at about 1500 mg. It quickly takes effect within 20-30 minutes and it is fairly powerful, on anxiety and depression for several hours. I've been dosing 2x per day for the last 4 days and I'm getting a better response as time goes on. Just thought I would share. Lemon balm could be used in conjunction with an antidepressant or on its own. Just double check the contraindications to be sure. And as always, don't just stop your meds to try herbs in place of them. I am very happy with Melissa though, and will be trying valerian root again and hops when they come in the mail shortly. Cheap and effective, with no need for a script from the doctor. It doesn't get much better.

Lemon Balm grows rampantly in my yard.
It escaped from a pot that my aunt gave me.

I have a couple gallons of dried Lemon Balm leaves.
I use it to make tea.

In the winter, particularly, I combine the Lemon Balm with
St. John's Wort that I have picked the summer before.
That grows wild around here.

I don't know much about alternative treatments. I do know that St John's Wort is a good one. No doubt you've tried that but that's as far as much knowledge of the ones that actually works.

The 'green movement' has left me a cynic because there's a lack of research behind most of it and it's purely down to anecdotal evidence which doesn't work for treats like this, so it's very hard to work out what can help and what is snake oil.

That all being said, I hope you find something that works for you. You've been dealing with both these mental illnesses for a very long time. I'm fortunate that mine isn't treatment resistant. It must suck to have been given so much false hope. My heart truly goes out to you. I hope you find something that works and soon.

Lemon Balm grows rampantly in my yard.
It escaped from a pot that my aunt gave me.

I have a couple gallons of dried Lemon Balm leaves.
I use it to make tea.

In the winter, particularly, I combine the Lemon Balm with
St. John's Wort that I have picked the summer before.
That grows wild around here.

Thats great Tree. I have had some relief from SJW in the past taken as a supplement. I have thought of growing lemon balm although with the amount I'm taking I think I'd need a balm lawn. I used to combine my mother's herbs and make teas also. Do you find the lemon balm relaxing?

I don't know much about alternative treatments. I do know that St John's Wort is a good one. No doubt you've tried that but that's as far as much knowledge of the ones that actually works.

The 'green movement' has left me a cynic because there's a lack of research behind most of it and it's purely down to anecdotal evidence which doesn't work for treats like this, so it's very hard to work out what can help and what is snake oil.

That all being said, I hope you find something that works for you. You've been dealing with both these mental illnesses for a very long time. I'm fortunate that mine isn't treatment resistant. It must suck to have been given so much false hope. My heart truly goes out to you. I hope you find something that works and soon.

Thank you, I hope the effects continue. The thing about alternative remedies lacking evidence is purely because no one can patent them. Consequently, its not profitable for them to run studies etc. You will find though, that although there aren't many studies, there are some that have been done that are scientific and "prove" the positive effect they set out to show.

Lemon Balm seems to be really easy to grow.
It has volunteered itself.
Looks like catnip, but gives itself away when you
pick a leaf and rub it.

Lemony.

I drink the tea before breakfast.
It's supposed to be calming, but that's not precisely
what I am going for, when I make tea.

It's more for the ability to think in an organized way.

What a beautiful thread this is, thank you for starting this! :)

Any side-effects from the dried leaves in capsules?

My German relatives keep lemon balm in there r garden, and each summer, the hubby has a cup of lemon balm tea. It tends to help bring about a more balanced, optimistic, calm perspective. It's sold as a boxed tea in the pharmacies there.

Last summer, I brought home a lemon balm plant. It grew about a foot high, then I had to trim her back for the winter. Already, she has a bright, vigorous, green base of leaves starting! I'm hoping to respectfully pinch of a few leaves for tea during the summer. To me, lemon balm tea feels like "home and family." Hopefully, it helps balance mood, too.

I haven't noticed or read of any side effects other than mild sedation or balmy burps. I had to order mine on the internet as the local stores don't carry it. I don't see any available that are standardized which may be more potent. For me 2000 mg is more effective than 1500. It's fun to play around with herbs though. I will try more soon and report back if they are favorable.

New Threads

Top Bottom