• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alone in the Dark

The game's title reminds me of an old Yiddish joke...

Q: How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a lightbulb...?
A: Don't worry about me. I'll just sit here in the dark... and freeze!

I've been a fan since the DOS days. All of the remakes suck (in my humble opinion), but 1-4 (even though I've probably never beaten a single one) are all good in my book. I know the controls and viewpoints are horrible, but there's just so much charm in all of them.

Also, 4 is probably the only game that has ever truly scared me as a kid. The noises and appearance of the shadow creatures were definitely some good old nightmare-fuel.

Maddog's gonna love this one. He's a HUUUUGE fan of Alone in the Dark.

I was playing the other day, as a matter of fact, and boy howdy, is the original scary! I went down to the basement and went into one of the storage rooms -- keep in mind at this point I've never played and I'm using a keyboard and I don't have the manual so I don't know the controls by heart -- and I kept trying to figure out how to run...

I found a bow in this room, and I had closed the door before hand, and for some reason something just told me to open the door again. The MINUTE I did so, this REALLY freaky music started playing, AND THERE WAS A ZOMBIE RIGHT THERE IN THE DOORWAY.

No footsteps, no groaning/growling noises, no sound cues to let me know something was wrong, no sanity gauge going down, NOTHING.

I found it very difficult to sleep that night. Oh, and did I mention this was happening at TWO IN THE MORNING?

Personally I have no issue with remakes as long as they stick to the original concept. Improvements to the graphics, gameplay and controls are welcome. Where they fall off is ignoring the atmosphere of the original and creating a new one that the players of the original may dislike.

This looks way better than any of the dope games in the Resident Evil franchise as of late. But you know? If Capcom didn't make it, you can be guaranteed to see this game being buried. Which of course, is a real shame.

I really do think RE is overrated now. It kind of always has been arguably overrated, but I can see that statement being justified for the older games. Personally, though, I see RE4 as the "death" of the series, as that's the game that changed, not just the RE formula, but the face of survival horror in general. Games thereafter became, what? Third person shooters with minimal tension, plus they started doing first person, mundane, walking simulators. I'm talking about Outlast and those cheaply made indie games that Steam is full of.

Yet when a company tries to take the genre to new heights, or at least revive the classic mechanics, it gets immediately shunned. Why? Well, because Capcom didn't make it, I suppose. That is really what it always boils down to, quite frankly.

New Threads

Top Bottom