• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alone every weekend?

Paralleluniverse

I'm single and 30 y/o and I do socialize but for me one daytime activity , for example today was beach with friends, is enough..
But I'm so used to being single and loving on my own that sometimes I don't know what NTs do on the weekend.. Single ones in particular. You know what it is.. People need more people like them. Did you ever have a partner who you can sit in the living room with without having to say anything? Sitting down reading comics or books etc.. just without all the small talk. The more time I've spent Independent and on my own the less I know how the world would in reality...

I'm single and 30 y/o and I do socialize but for me one daytime activity , for example today was beach with friends, is enough..
But I'm so used to being single and loving on my own that sometimes I don't know what NTs do on the weekend.. Single ones in particular. You know what it is.. People need more people like them. Did you ever have a partner who you can sit in the living room with without having to say anything? Sitting down reading comics or books etc.. just without all the small talk. The more time I've spent Independent and on my own the less I know how the world would in reality...
Welcome to the club. I have not had a social life in 67 years. I pretended to, but it didn't work. From what I have observed, on the weekend, single NTs generally hang out, go to parties, try to hook up (provided the hookee isn't autistic), and generally not accomplish a whole lot. Not really worth it, in my opinion.

Yeah id say the same as Shamar only i havent had anyone or that mush social life since i was born to now :( had to learn to become and adapt to be a hoooowling Lone wolf

I understand what you mean about feeling as though the weekend is always a waste because you did nothing. It is a waste, so you have to do something. If you can't plan a simple excursion somewhere with someone, venture out on your own. Hiking is a great activity - you can do it alone, for as long as you want, and you are likely to meet other hikers doing the same thing. At the end of the day, you are a little bit healthier and your mind is less cluttered or gloomy.

Museums are also great places to learn something and prod your brain cells. Also, where you want and for as long as you want. Don't be afraid to go to the movies alone. One crazy idea is to buy a bus ticket and ride to some far away place, just to see what's there. That's the best for cheap entertainment. If it's an all-day ticket, you can get off and explore neighborhoods you have never seen.

Being alone is it's own virtue, but if it is boring, go somewhere. Call people you know and ask them to join you. I love being alone, but I enjoy good company as well. You have choices, and they are not very limited.

I was never able to make friends outside of school or uni. So I've spent pretty much every weekend for the last 30 odd years on my own. In my younger days, I was the complete couch potato, spending the weekends watching sports and movies. I still watch a bit of sports, but I try to do other things at home than just vegetate. I like to do work around the house, and to study on my own time.

I wish I had a significant other with whom I could experience comfortable silence with, but that seems unlikely. I genuinely don't know how others spend their time on the weekends. To me it's just spending more time at home.

@Shamar is right, young 20something NT's generally make the rounds of the hip restaurants downtown, do something called "socializing" which boils down to having very shallow conversations with members of the opposite sex (or sometimes the same sex) with the ultimate goal of "going home" with somebody in order to have sex with them while extremely drunk so they don't remember much of the sex or the night generally. In some circles of young NT's it's common to wake up in a strange place/bed with somebody you don't recognize next to you, while having a pounding headache from the booze you drank the night before.

When I was young going out on the weekends could be done while staying generally anonymous, you could go to a rave or a nightclub and dance the night away without a lot of pressure to "hook up". Today the whole youth night scene is about restaurants and bars and one-on-one socializing and trying to get in somebody's pants.

I really feel sorry for young autistics, what with the overwhelming pressure to "be social" and "network" and such. Our whole society seems to have become about who you know and "pulling strings" which means manipulating people you know so they will give you what you want. It's not a society I like or want to be part of. I am still on track with my plans to be a hermit for the rest of my days.

Sorry, I deleted my post as it seemed too personal. I'm glad to know that you have been so fortunate, and thank you.:herb::cherryblossom:
Oh that explains why I was unable to give it a thumbs up or star. LOL sorry if I messed up by replying. I'm not very skilled with these social media sites.

I'm usually alone on most weekends myself and I have a girlfriend but we both work so much that we barely have time to see each other.

When we are together though, we don't have to be in the same room to still enjoy each others company. Sometimes I'll be downstairs watching TV or playing a Star Wars video game and she'll go upstairs and read a book or talk on the phone with her family.

I spent a lot of time growing up alone though. I don't have any friends honestly except for my girlfriend. I was never good at socializing or working up the courage to introduce myself to random people in public.

I really don't have much of a social life and never have. I keep to myself for the most part. My phone never gets blown up with text messages nor does my facebook inbox get full. Which doesn't bother me.

New Threads

Top Bottom