• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alloa supermarket's 'quiet hour' for autistic customers

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

An Alloa supermarket has introduced a "quiet hour" to help customers with conditions that make noise and commotion difficult to deal with.

The Auld Brig Road Tesco Extra will switch off music, the public address system and other electronic systems including display televisions.

The quiet hour will take place between 18:00 and 19:00 on Wednesdays.

_94741358_tesco.png

The company said feedback from customers during a trial run had been "overwhelmingly positive."

Samantha Garson, senior autism practitioner at New Struan School in Alloa, said: "People with autism often have a "sensory overload" due to their difficulty in processing everyday sensory information.

"Any of the senses can be over or under-sensitive, which can obviously be very distressing for the individual."

Ms Garson said making small changes, such as the quiet hour, could have a "hugely beneficial impact".

She said: "The Tesco Extra store in Alloa will be a much friendlier environment for people with autism and other disorders, taking the stress out of shopping for both parents with children on the autism spectrum and for adults with autism."

The store's manager Rob McLean said: "We welcome the opportunity to make these small changes for customers who feel stressed or intimidated by noise and disturbance.

"We are looking forward to be able to give people with autism and their families a calmer, more positive shopping experience."

Source: Alloa supermarket's 'quiet hour' for autistic customers - BBC News

I do know where Alloa is but mainly through my love of football.

It sounds like a positive initiative.

Similarly I have discovered what I will term autie-cinema. What that is is special cinema sessions for autistic people where things like crowds and lighting can be difficult.

You have to sign up for the scheme and pay a small amount for the card but then you can go to see a movie with your careworker in a situation that is beneficial to you.

I imagine this kind of scheme will be countrywide.

I know that a few years ago the Tesco in Shettleston, Glasgow(also in Scotland) introduced this too. It's probably something that Tesco is gradually rolling out to all its stores(at least the Extras).

I haven't been during that time though, it's at the weekend so it's still busy. It's a 24 hour Tesco, so I prefer going very late at night or very early in the morning. It's apparently been helpful to parents though.

This is something I've learned about myself. I can't handle big department stores. Like the only things I go to Wal-Mart for is yugioh cards and personal grooming items. I do all my main grocery shopping at Safeway. It is a small grocery store and there isn't many ppl there. And I can find things faster in there. It didn't take me long to find the things I need.

New Threads

Top Bottom