• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

All are welcome...unless you wear the wrong hat

SimonSays

Van Dweller
V.I.P Member
I don't often visit temples. But when I have an opportunity to, I'll normally do so. I'll go in quietly, sit at the back on a chair, and just be there for a while. I'll observe what people do. I may not always understand everything I see them doing, but then I don't need to know why they do it, as I'm not a member of the club. I don't believe what they believe. I'm just sitting in their place of worship and prayer, and feeling a sense of presence that can come from that.

I went to a Hindu/Hare Krishna Temple today, which is not far from where I live. I saw many images of their deities, all dressed in bright gaudy colours, many with glittering flashing lights around them. People seemed to do a lot of touching, pouring water over objects, ringing the bell hanging from the ceiling. People brought offerings and wanted them blessed, which always resulted in some of what they’d brought being given back to them. I have always had no need for such practices. But I felt welcome to be there, as long as I showed my respect, and in this case, removed my footwear, which I have no problem doing. I had chosen to have my head covered the whole time, with something that looks like a cross between something Jewish and something Muslim.

I went into a Sikh Temple after this, and where there was food being given out to anyone who went up for it. People had tied scarves made of nylon around their head in a kind of temporary symbolic resemblance of a turban I suppose. I did see one woman wearing the hood of her jacket as her covering, but everyone had their head covered with something, which seemed to be the most important aspect.

After I’d finished my food somebody came over to tell me that I wasn't allowed to be there wearing what I had on my head. I had to wear a bit of nylon instead. I nodded politely at this without saying a word.

And that for me is religion; making something essentially meaningless, important.

I was a visitor. I'd covered my head, just as I would if entering a synagogue, a mosque, or any other house of God. And yet the material my covering is made from surely shouldn't be an issue should it? It did make me smile a bit that someone would be so affected by what it was made from as to actually make me feel that all are not welcome, unless they are prepared to wear the right hat.

Well… that's okay, I don't need to. I was just looking. The food was nice though.

This is not a criticism of how they choose to do it. What they believe is what they believe, and they have a right to believe it. I may not feel the same way, but then I'm not there trying to be accepted into the club.

Compared to how I feel when in nature; sitting still, listening to the birds, watching the squirrels, doing my own thing. It's so much more accepting. That's my kind of temple, and in this temple, a hat is just a head covering, and always acceptable, no matter what it’s made from.

Last edited:
Once all human predators has gone extinct or controlled, nature is way more accepting than before.

05record6.jpg

One does not simply walk into Temples.

And when it comes to headcoverings, Sikhs are one of the world's superpowers and practically own the world record.

;)

One does not simply walk into Temples.
Lol. I went with a believer, at least for the Hare Krishna bit. She offered to take me in, and I watched her go through many very specific prayer actions. I could definitely have gone in alone, but I probably wouldn't have. While I couldn't know what I'd find exactly, what I found didn't surprise me, and only reminded me, if I needed it, that these practices and rituals are very alien to me.

Some!!! atheists do the same, but with words, if you dont disrespect christians, you'll be strongly advised that you must disrespect christians to be with these atheists

I'm not sure why I wanted to go. I think I learned something about myself, or remembered something I already knew.

I'd only just met the woman I went with. We met in the park. She was dressed in bright pink and bright orange, with orange hair.

We walked to those temples, and it didn't take long for her to be gently persuading me to do things like this or like that. I did it my way anyway. I didn't want to remind her I wasn't there to join the club. I was just a visitor. An observer. I only wanted to see what went on. I wanted to see if there was something beyond the superficial, but that's really all I saw.

She wasn't very open to me revealing my observations; she seemed to hear anything I said as criticism. So I kept my thoughts to myself. I didn't need her to see through my eyes, just as I couldn't see through hers. Because it was all about belief, by definition, there is nothing that can possibly be of value outside it.

I grew up around the Jewish faith, which has a very detailed bubble of belief. I understand it's a way for people to feel connected to something greater than themselves, that is not material, as well having the support of a community attempting to do the same.

I am not atheist. I just don't have a need for symbols, idols, doctrines or ideologies. In fact for me such things interfere. If I'm not careful though I can feel so separate from others that it creates quite a detached feeling, a powerful alienation, that just emphasises how much I don't belong. But because I'm not trying to belong anymore, I'm not affected by it the way I once was. Perhaps that's why I was there... just to remind me of that.

New Threads

Top Bottom