• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alexa, Am I Being Hacked?

Judge

V.I.P Member
Alexa: "Of course, stupid. I'm easy!" :eek:

Looks like the media caught high tech with its pants down. And it happens in a way that's even simpler than you think. Using laser-pointers and flashlights that can mimic voices able to make remote commands from the distance of a football field.

Damn, this is worse than getting your wireless ignition hacked. :rolleyes:

The smart speaker in your home may not be as secure as you think

Last edited:
I clicked funny as I find it both difficult and sad at the same time. People with electronic door locks and cameras and alexa think somehow that everything is secure, but it's not. Hackers were talking to babies or listening through baby monitors. If there's a way in, it will be discovered by someone. People have lots of time to hack into devices.

Did you hear recently about the remote desktop protocol exploit at the administrative level? Access to hacked RDP servers sold for anywhere from $3 to $15 in 2017. While this might seem like a small amount of money, RDP info is likely being purchased on a large scale.

BlueKeep, a nasty vulnerability in RDP, by now should have been patched everywhere. Sadly, back in the real world, hundreds of thousands of unpatched hosts are connected to the internet. RDP—Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol—is now coming under attack from hackers who are trying to spread cryptomining malware.

Last edited:
I don't see how anyone can be comfortable knowing that there's a live microphone in there house able to listen in on everything that go on in your home. In fact, I'm so paranoid about this that I keep my phone in another room because i know that my phone can respond to voice commands like Alexa.

BTW: the idea of using lasers of other optical devices to hack with is nothing new. about 20 years ago. With just a universal TV remote and a backyard telescope. I was able to control TV's and any other AV equipment that used infrared remote technology from thousands of feet away. All I had to do was point the telescope at someones living room window where I could see the TV, punch in the brand of TV into the universal remote, put the front of the remote up to the eye piece of the telescope and vola! I can now control your TV from a distance.

What's even nastier is that it's possible to build a device that can remotely set off airbags in someones car using a small satellite dish and parts from a microwave oven.

Last edited:
15 years ago i had the idea that all new tech was gonna be great and would improve everything. Due to be exposed to 80s and 90s movies featuring all that awesome futuristic stuff. I got so excited that it got me studying IT. However since 2012 or so my POV changed dramatically. As the internet and tech world was changing for the worst:

Smartphones turned out to be a privacy and security hazard. Google started collecting data as a madman and abuses his position in tech and smartphones, FB just as creepy with shadow accounts, Microsoft became a privacy hazard. Youtubes new alghoritms made sure u did not watch what u were searching for, but instead made u look at videos they wanted u to see + censorship on YT, Youtubers these days all seem to be "bribed" making fake reviews, doing ads inside their actual videos. The new computer hardware chipsets made sure they could potentionely be hacked at hardware level, no software can detect it if that happens. All the big tech companies apply censorship to some extent; even duckduckgo. Cameras in every big city, biometric scanners at airports. I dont know why, but i dont like the feeling of being watched.

Then i feel like the spirit of the internet has been degrading over time, in the beginning forums and imageboards, even youtube; were places for hobbies and passions. Well, youtube has become a commercial plague. 99,9% of all forums and imageboards turned into an anonymous breeding ground for insanity and hate. All i see is insults, and generalizing on popular boards. Oh yeah, and then theres social media, im not even starting on that one. Quality internet is harder and harder to find i think.

I lost interest in tech and internet a while ago, and took a few steps back from it. With my only remaining interests left; that involve a computer are digital drawing, photoshop, illustrator, basic browsing, and reading.

Trust no one! I'm paranoid about technology. We don't have Alexa or any voice-activated devices or Facebook, and we use computers for legitimate research. Even so, we seem to accumulate cookies or whatever they're called because related product ads pop up soon after we research something. Our house is secured by ADT which uses a cell phone connection to ADT and ultimately law enforcement. I've never heard of ADT getting hacked but it is probably possible. I've disabled every app I can on my smart phone and use it only as a phone. I don't surf the 'net with my phone.

Despite not using those tech devices, I still feel like somebody out there knows too much about us.

I have a brand new Google Mini that was given to me as a gift.

I'm accepting reasonable offers for it.

I have a brand new Google Mini that was given to me as a gift.

I'm accepting reasonable offers for it.
I have a pile of papers, and am in need of a paperweight. If we smash the thing with a hammer so we can be sure it can't spy on us, it could work. However, the postage to send it to me, particularly considering there are lots of rocks in the back yard, would be prohibitive. So, upon careful consideration ... never mind.

Times like this I think of the Steven Spielberg film "Minority Report".

Where the star of the film wasn't Tom Cruise, but rather a future era of obnoxiously invasive technology. :eek:

People would think I occasionally talk to myself because the dogs and fish don't talk back, then in the evening they'd be listening to reruns - the same ones over and over.

Even so, we seem to accumulate cookies or whatever they're called because related product ads pop up soon after we research something.

Start using the Firefox web browser. It's the worlds most secure web browser and has a whole arsenal of security related plugin available for it.

Our house is secured by ADT which uses a cell phone connection to ADT and ultimately law enforcement. I've never heard of ADT getting hacked but it is probably possible.

Oh! it's been hacked. Not from the cell phone connection part of it. But rather from it wireless door and window sensors units. Every time you open(or close) a door(or window), each one of those sensors starts transmitting a signal back to the alarm panel. The thing is, that signal can travel across an entire block and anyone with a hack receiver module from an alarm panel of using an SDR radio can recieve that signal. Using this wireless sensor data. It's not hard to keep track of activity going on in someone house. Here's the real nasty part. If you have an SDR unit that can transmit as well as receive. You can do whats called a replay attack. For example, use your SDR unit to record a packet from one of their sensor when they open a door or window. They more then likely will to this when the system is disarmed. Then wait for them to arm their system and then playback the packet you recorded earlier and BAM! You just set off a false alarm on their system.

Last edited:
I work as a programmer in the gambling industry. All our clients are people who want something for nothing and will try everything they can think of to improve their odds. People trying to hack, cheat, or game the system any way they can is not surprising - it's more surprising when they don't try it.*

It just boggles my mind that other industries are cranking out smart devices, heart monitors, cars filled with electronic features, voting machines, etc. without asking, "What happens when someone tries to hack this?"

*It's not our systems are unhackable and foolproof and that we're oh-so-much-better than all those other industries. It's that we consider the possibility of an attack every day. "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

I have a pile of papers, and am in need of a paperweight. If we smash the thing with a hammer so we can be sure it can't spy on us, it could work. However, the postage to send it to me, particularly considering there are lots of rocks in the back yard, would be prohibitive. So, upon careful consideration ... never mind.

All you got to do is unplug it and/or take the battery out. That's it. instant paperweight. and a safe one for that matter. Remember, those electronic devices don't work without power.

Cameras in every big city, biometric scanners at airports. I dont know why, but i dont like the feeling of being watched.

You ought to go to London England. They have cameras every where there. hell, they even have cameras in the restrooms. Yes, if you need to take a piss. You have to do it in front of a camera. Crazy.

I lost interest in tech and internet a while ago, and took a few steps back from it. With my only remaining interests left; that involve a computer are digital drawing, photoshop, illustrator, basic browsing, and reading.

Are you using "Creative suite" or "Creative Cloud"? If you're using Creative Cloud then you have to keep you computer connected to the internet at all times or the software will deactivate on you. I still use Creative suite 6 "cs6" and that all the further I will go with upgrading.

Last edited:
Start using the Firefox web browser. It's the worlds most secure web browser and has a whole arsenal of security related plugin available for it.

Oh! it's been hacked. Not from the cell phone connection part of it. But rather from it wireless door and window sensors units. Every time you open(or close) a door(or window), each one of those sensors starts transmitting a signal back to the alarm panel. The thing is, that signal can travel across an entire block and anyone with a hack receiver module from an alarm panel of using an SDR radio can recieve that signal. Using this wireless sensor data. It's not hard to keep track of activity going on in someone house. Here's the real nasty part. If you have an SDR unit that can transmit as well as receive. You can do whats called a replay attack. For example, use your SDR unit to record a packet from one of their sensor when they open a door or window. They more then likely will to this when the system is disarmed. Then wait for them to arm their system and then playback the packet you recorded earlier and BAM! You just set off a false alarm on their system.

Thanks, FreeDiver. I recently replaced my old laptop which had Firefox on it, and I will now install it on the new laptop.

We live in a rural area, closest neighbor is my sister about 100 yards from me, so I'm not worried about someone hacking our ADT system. Other neighbors are at least half a mile away. I think the ADT warning signs posted at the foot of our driveway and right outside our house doors are a pretty good deterrent to criminals. Theft usually is a crime of opportunity so the thugs are likely to find a house that isn't posted with security system warning signs rather than risk triggering an alarm at our house. Hope so, anyway.

The warning sign at the foot of our driveway is now nailed to a fencepost after someone stole the previous sign. How low can people go - stealing ADT signs and my brand new, $100 trash can from the driveway. I bought a new garbage can and florescent orange spray paint and put our house number all over the garbage can. Looks awful but no one has stolen it. So far.....

It just boggles my mind that other industries are cranking out smart devices, heart monitors, cars filled with electronic features, voting machines, etc. without asking, "What happens when someone tries to hack this?"

*It's not our systems are unhackable and foolproof and that we're oh-so-much-better than all those other industries. It's that we consider the possibility of an attack every day. "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you."

It's complicated, and that's an understatement at the very least.

Starting with an understanding that the vast majority of manufacturers of such technology have very deep pockets. Meaning they usually have extensive legal resources to sustain endless continuances and basically bleed litigants dry over lawsuits lasting for years short of settling behind closed doors for considerably smaller amounts their insurers can live with.

As disturbing as it may sound, in many cases it's fiscally best for such manufacturers to observe and comply with only nominal standards set by government regulators. Where if something goes wrong with a product after the fact, at least you're not likely to get caught knowing about it well ahead of time. Which is the predicament that Johnson & Johnson is in at the moment over their talcum powder. Where they did supplemental research decades past the introduction of the product to know that there was a problem. Opening the floodgates to lawsuits which may or may not categorically have proven that carcinogens are in their product.

A critical dynamic for pharmaceutical manufacturers as well. Which has exorbitant research and development costs, and shareholders who still expect and demand quick entrances into a crowded and competitive market. Equally with huge amounts of capital, part of their expenditures is endless lobbying to persuade legislators and regulators to "look the other way" at times to get a product to market.

It's always about shareholders equity and protecting corporate assets. The safety and welfare of the public as consumers buying and using such products? Not so much. With a legal system where the more data a manufacturer provides about their product, the more it can hurt them. Where no product is likely to be foolproof, and no manufacturer is prone to zealously looking after the welfare of their customers.

And in the case of computer hacking, it's likely to be an exposure that increases well after a product is brought to the market, whether ready or not.

Last edited:
You ought to go to London England. They have cameras every where there. hell, they even have cameras in the restrooms.

Whilst it is not illegal to have CCTV in "restrooms" in the UK it is only permissable if the premises can provide evidence that it's presence is absolutely necessary for security. If it is used in areas where privacy is a reasonable expectation (including changing rooms, doctors consulting rooms) there must be prominent signs displayed to ensure users are aware (on the doors, in the rooms themselves) so that potential.users can make an informed decision whether to use them. Unless the premises are breaking laws which are punishable by fines and imprisonment you cannot be filmed in a toilet or getting changed without your knowledge. It's also covered by numerous elements of human rights law on top of legislation specific to surveillance.

Whilst it is not illegal to have CCTV in "restrooms" in the UK it is only permissable if the premises can provide evidence that it's presence is absolutely necessary for security. If it is used in areas where privacy is a reasonable expectation (including changing rooms, doctors consulting rooms) there must be prominent signs displayed to ensure users are aware (on the doors, in the rooms themselves) so that potential.users can make an informed decision whether to use them. Unless the premises are breaking laws which are punishable by fines and imprisonment you cannot be filmed in a toilet or getting changed without your knowledge. It's also covered by numerous elements of human rights law on top of legislation specific to surveillance.

I am talking about cameras in the restroom in the Underground(subway). They didn't have them in the stalls but they did have one (In plain site) looking over the bank of urinals. Although the camera could not see you genitals or urine stream. They could see your back side and if you happen to be one of those guys that like to pull his paints all the way down to urinate. It could get a good shot of your bare behind. I get it that they are trying to cut down on vandalism and drug use. But to me, it's just feel creepy.

I am talking about cameras in the restroom in the Underground(subway). They didn't have them in the stalls but they did have one (In plain site) looking over the bank of urinals. Although the camera could not see you genitals or urine stream. They could see your back side and if you happen to be one of those guys that like to pull his paints all the way down to urinate. It could get a good shot of your bare behind. I get it that they are trying to cut down on vandalism and drug use. But to me, it's just feel creepy.

Yes and why not? There are prominent signs to inform people there is CCTV so if they're worried about their winkle or their buttocks getting seen they can choose not to use them. They could use a stall instead.
We live in an age of violent crime and terrorism. Surveillance is one of the most powerful deterrents and methods of gathering evidence. It's no more insidious than being x-rayed at an airport.

Are you using "Creative suite" or "Creative Cloud"? If you're using Creative Cloud then you have to keep you computer connected to the internet at all times or the software will deactivate on you. I still use Creative suite 6 "cs6" and that all the further I will go with upgrading.
Im using the latest versions but all blocked acces to the internet. I patched them to work offline.

New Threads

Top Bottom