• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Air accidents

xudo

something and nothing
So I've been umming and ahhing over whether to post here about my special interest. I am obsessed with disasters and accidents of any sort, but mainly air crashes/accidents. Related to this is my overarching obsession with 9/11. I can quite happily watch any episode of Air Crash Investigation(MayDay in other countries), even though I have watched them all many, many times before. My husband is very patient putting up with this, especially as I have a tendency to tell him what is going to happen and why the crash happened.

I watch any and all documentaries about 9/11 (except conspiracy theory ones; I cannot even get through 10 minutes before I'm basically screaming at the TV). I don't like to go to sleep in a silent room, and usually have a documentary or NIST FOIA footage of 9/11 on. I came to the realisation last year that I'm not interested in the human side of either 9/11 or disasters, but rather the mechanics iykwim? So in terms of 9/11, things like how fast the planes were travelling, what precisely happened to the structure of the buildings, why they collapsed, how they collapsed etc etc and in terms of planes accidents, what were the series of events that caused it, how the plane works, what happened to it when it hit the ground/water/another plane...I don't think I'm doing an awfully good job of explaining it to be honest!

I also enjoy documentaries about things like train crashes, nuclear power accidents and to a much lesser degree natural disasters. I also don't mean to come across as a cold hearted b***h when I saw that the human side doesn't interest me, but it really doesn't. Yes, I understand it must have been awful for people to live through or witness such things, but I am far more interested in how and why and the facts.

Being so interested in such things does mean that I have a hard time when watching things with plane crashes in when they don't get things right. The film "Flight" was one that I was interested to watch, but didn't make it that far in, as they showed the plane flying upside down. We also watched an episode of Family Guy last week where the main characters were on a plane which was high-jacked. My husband couldn't understand why I couldn't just "suspend my disbelief" and enjoy the episode, but when they got things wrong in terms of how the plane would react and things like that, I just couldn't help but point it out.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone by posting all of this, and I hope that you can understand what I'm trying to say, through all of my rambling. Is anyone else interested in the same thing(s)?

You're doing a good job explaining yourself, no worries ;) Saying you're not interested in the human side of the story doesn't make you sound heartless to me.

You're doing a good job explaining yourself, no worries ;) Saying you're not interested in the human side of the story doesn't make you sound heartless to me.

Thank you!

OT: I love your new profile pic! Gunter is the best :D

No worries. Forensic science would no doubt not be as good as it is without such interest and curiosity. Me? I majored in totalitarian systems and constitutional law. I've always found state-sanctioned murder on a mass scale to be grim, yet fascinating.

Though in the case of plane crashes, not so much. I'm a shareholder of a major airlines company. Not a fan of drones for the same reason.

Last edited:
When I was building hours towards a private ticket,it was explained to me that Col. Chuck Yeager once stated that any landing you could walk away from was a good one :p

Have you thought of looking into becoming an aviation investigator? My dad was a pilot and there are not nearly enough women in the industry......

Last edited:
Have you thought of looking into becoming an aviation investigator? My dad was a pilot and there are not nearing enough women in the industry......

Funnily enough my husband has (jokingly) suggested the same thing.

Unfortunately, I am petrified of flying :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Funnily enough my husband has (jokingly) suggested the same thing.

Unfortunately, I am petrified of flying :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

That is funny lol, maybe that's why you're so interested in it. To be interested in and study something you fear is great!

My dad had a private plane when I was growing up and used to fly us all over for weekend getaways etc.. I never batted an eye but now that I'm an adult (40 yrs old lol) with a child, I would never get into a small plane.:grin:

That is funny lol, maybe that's why you're so interested in it. To be interested in and study something you fear is great!

My dad had a private plane when I was growing up and used to fly us all over for weekend getaways etc.. I never batted an eye but now that I'm an adult with a child, I would never get into a small plane.:grin:

The stupid thing is, I've been on a plane many times. Growing up, we used to go abroad once a year, always somewhere we had to fly to. I never really "enjoyed" flying, but it didn't scare me. I think maybe it's just because it's been so very long since I was ever on a plane.

It really is silly to be scared of flying when you think of how its much more likely for you to be in a car crash than a plane crash. All that logic goes out the window though when you're 20,000 ft in the air thinking you may just have heard one of the engines failing :tearsofjoy::tonguewink:

A friend of our family was obsessed with dirigibles!!!Did you know that there is a pattern of their crashes? They were pretty amazing things. I will try to find out for you what that pattern was if you would like to know. Do you like dirigibles? They sure were amazing.

You do not sound heartless to me! When it comes to terrorist attacks, I think about the whys and wherefores about the attack and in truth, very little about the human suffering aspect, but I have had to be careful, because most look at me with pure distaste.

My field of fascination is the human body and how natural remedies help us and could go on and on and on about the lies doctor's tell us and I scream when I read things that are so stupidly incorrect.

I am not a dr and certainly am no expert, but when I get interested, I do want to find out as much as possible. The difficulty, however, is that many people are sceptic and so, I do not get a good reception and it is hard to walk away.

A friend of our family was obsessed with dirigibles!!!Did you know that there is a pattern of their crashes? They were pretty amazing things. I will try to find out for you what that pattern was if you would like to know. Do you like dirigibles? They sure were amazing.

They don't fascinate me in the same way as planes, but I have watched virtually every documentary available on youtube about dirigible accidents. My husband found it refreshing when I began to tell him all about why one built in the UK crashed on it's first flight from here to India, rather than hearing about planes all the time haha

So I've been umming and ahhing over whether to post here about my special interest. I am obsessed with disasters and accidents of any sort, but mainly air crashes/accidents. Related to this is my overarching obsession with 9/11. I can quite happily watch any episode of Air Crash Investigation(MayDay in other countries), even though I have watched them all many, many times before. My husband is very patient putting up with this, especially as I have a tendency to tell him what is going to happen and why the crash happened.

I watch any and all documentaries about 9/11 (except conspiracy theory ones; I cannot even get through 10 minutes before I'm basically screaming at the TV). I don't like to go to sleep in a silent room, and usually have a documentary or NIST FOIA footage of 9/11 on. I came to the realisation last year that I'm not interested in the human side of either 9/11 or disasters, but rather the mechanics iykwim? So in terms of 9/11, things like how fast the planes were travelling, what precisely happened to the structure of the buildings, why they collapsed, how they collapsed etc etc and in terms of planes accidents, what were the series of events that caused it, how the plane works, what happened to it when it hit the ground/water/another plane...I don't think I'm doing an awfully good job of explaining it to be honest!

I also enjoy documentaries about things like train crashes, nuclear power accidents and to a much lesser degree natural disasters. I also don't mean to come across as a cold hearted b***h when I saw that the human side doesn't interest me, but it really doesn't. Yes, I understand it must have been awful for people to live through or witness such things, but I am far more interested in how and why and the facts.

Being so interested in such things does mean that I have a hard time when watching things with plane crashes in when they don't get things right. The film "Flight" was one that I was interested to watch, but didn't make it that far in, as they showed the plane flying upside down. We also watched an episode of Family Guy last week where the main characters were on a plane which was high-jacked. My husband couldn't understand why I couldn't just "suspend my disbelief" and enjoy the episode, but when they got things wrong in terms of how the plane would react and things like that, I just couldn't help but point it out.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone by posting all of this, and I hope that you can understand what I'm trying to say, through all of my rambling. Is anyone else interested in the same thing(s)?
yes!! ive found another obsessee. :D
i absolutely love mayday/air crash investigation!,i have downloaded a ton of their series and i watch them for hours on end,i watched one on UK tv tonight it was about a concorde crash.

yes!! ive found another obsessee. :D
i absolutely love mayday/air crash investigation!,i have downloaded a ton of their series and i watch them for hours on end,i watched one on UK tv tonight it was about a concorde crash.

Ahhhh! I'm so glad I'm not the only one :D The new series just started on Nat Geo, but I wasn't so interested in the first episode, as it was about the pilot relatively recently who crashed his plane into the Alps; so there was no technical/mechanical bits to it. Still interesting as to how somebody could do that though I guess. I re-watch episode on TV so often that even my husband has started to become somewhat of an expert :p

Ahhhh! I'm so glad I'm not the only one :D The new series just started on Nat Geo, but I wasn't so interested in the first episode, as it was about the pilot relatively recently who crashed his plane into the Alps; so there was no technical/mechanical bits to it. Still interesting as to how somebody could do that though I guess. I re-watch episode on TV so often that even my husband has started to become somewhat of an expert :p
i think that crash escaped my memory xudo i dont watch the news-did he crash it on purpose?,i never knew there was a new series! ill have to get kodi on,and ill tell my mum to-shes a major fan of the show,she would sit there moaning about how boring some of the episodes were because the crashes werent spectacular enough or no one died in them. :D

what was your favourite episode/plane crash on the show?

i think that crash escaped my memory xudo i dont watch the news-did he crash it on purpose?,i never knew there was a new series! ill have to get kodi on,and ill tell my mum to-shes a major fan of the show,she would sit there moaning about how boring some of the episodes were because the crashes werent spectacular enough or no one died in them. :D

what was your favourite episode/plane crash on the show?

Yeah he crashed it on purpose :( It was in 2015.

I think my favourite was probably either the one where the pilot let his kids have a go in the cockpit, but didn't realise that the autopilot could be disconnected by pushing on the controls, or the plane that basically cut an apartment block in Amsterdam in two when it crashed into it.

I'm interested in suicide. I have been for awhile. For similar reason I am interested in emigration. What people say means nothing. What people do means everything.

hi xudo,
I like that you make hats. I am similarly obsessed with these things. I wasn't as interested in the 9/11 details (that happened when I was in high school and pretty inwardly focused). But after, I saw this documentary about a plane that flew a long time with dead passengers. The pressure in the cabin had changed. They called it a ghost plane. Later, an AirFrance Airbus crashed and I was really infatuated with reading all about the details. And a year or two ago I routinely read and watched about the Malaysian plane that crashed over the Java sea. These disasters haunt but fascinate me. I'm also not interested in the casualties/lives of the people...in a non cold way. Cruise ship incidents also really interest me. I prefer bigger scale accidents, like I don't care as much about private jets or little boats. I think part of my interest is the collective unawareness of large groups of passengers. How is it possible? Or the fact that people make these giant machines, halfway completely in their heads. It's a marvel they work well at all but the details of their failure is interesting. Planes remind me of giant flying refrigerators lol. I'm really scared of flying, but still do when I need to...

But after, I saw this documentary about a plane that flew a long time with dead passengers. The pressure in the cabin had changed. They called it a ghost plane.

Was it Helios Airways? Where everyone suffered hypoxia except one single air steward (he'd been an accomplished scuba diver and managed to get to the emergency oxygen tanks on board for medical use).

I'm also not interested in the casualties/lives of the people...in a non cold way.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. It makes me sound cold that I'm not really interested in the stories of the people who died or the survivors, but I'm just more interested in the facts and mechanical side.

Cruise ship incidents also really interest me.

I have to agree. I've seen quite a few documentaries about the Costa Concordia disaster and also the Zebrugge disaster (that one is mind boggling).

I prefer bigger scale accidents, like I don't care as much about private jets or little boats.

I agree here too. Although some episodes of Aircrash Investigation are about smaller aeroplanes and they're still of some interest, nowhere near as much as larger disasters.

Or the fact that people make these giant machines, halfway completely in their heads. It's a marvel they work well at all but the details of their failure is interesting.

I think for me it's more about the details of how things can come together to cause problems and accidents. I also like to watch documentaries about space flight disasters. I can't count how many times I have seen the programs on the Discovery channel about the Challenger and Columbia accidents.

New Threads

Top Bottom