• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Agreeableness and autism

Myrtonos

Is scoring low in agreeableness a personality predictor, not for being on the spectrum, but being officially diagnosed? Is autism ever associated with not only having difficulty understanding how one's actions make other people feel but not even caring?

Being neuro-diverse, our whole frame of reference is different than that of neurotypicals. And this is in no small part due to our diminished social instincts.

Lack of "agreeableness" sounds like it could fall in both the social com. and rigid behavior Dx criteria. Probably more rigid behavior though. The "caring" part is empathy and is not part of the Dx criteria. I believe lack of empathy, in ASD, is mostly a false perception, not a trait.

Last edited:
Agreeable consists of facets:
Trust
Straightforwardness
Altruism
Compliance
Modesty
Tender-mindedness

I usually value those traits. I might be lowest on tender-mindedness. My scores are not low lowest possible. There are people who like to follow others and trust consensus. In a way this can be seen as agreeable while this might not be the case and many agreeable can be covert rebels.

I know people who try to look agreeable but they are never straightforward. It may also reflect on trust. They do not look genuine.

Last edited:
Agreeable consists of facets:
Trust
Straightforwardness
Altruism
Compliance
Modesty
Tender-mindedness

I usually value those traits. I might be lowest on tender-mindedness. My scores are not low lowest possible. There are people who like to follow others and trust consensus. In a way this can be seen as agreeable while this might not be the case and many agreeable can be covert rebels.

I know people who try to look agreeable but they are never straightforward. It may also reflect on trust. They do not look genuine.

The ones that try to look agreeable are called passive-aggressive

I think maturity to me has been on the days l need to be more caring - l am. And on the days l need to pull in- l do. But l have had to learn this over time. On the days l don't feel agreeable in the least, l keep my piehole ducktaped and practice empathy. Oh wait, that's called masking???

Last edited:
l keep my piehole ducktaped and practice empathy. Oh wait, that's called masking???
Wouldn't that be masking tape, then...?
full

Is scoring low in agreeableness a personality predictor, not for being on the spectrum, but being officially diagnosed?

I don't understand your question. The spectrum consists of the DSM-IV diagnoses of autistic disorder, Asperger's, and PDD-NOS merged into one in the DSM-V. If you're officially diagnosed, you're on the spectrum.

Is autism ever associated with not only having difficulty understanding how one's actions make other people feel but not even caring?

I think that as a result of misunderstandings, autistic people are more likely to think other people don't care about their feelings which makes them less inclined to exert the extra effort to say things in a sensitive way to avoid someone getting upset.

Many of the big, muscular men I've talked to at fitness centers talk to people the same way (direct and straighforward). I used to think they didn't care about other people's feelings but after being around them long enough I realized they did care. They talked that way because they consider being sensitive to be feminine and they want to act like a man.

@Adora I thought you would and wonder if people like you and maybe @Vinca are ever told they are too agreeable to have Asperger's, like other people finding it hard to believe they are on the spectrum because they are so used to living for those people and finding out what they want.

I never been accused of not being on the spectrum due to high aggreableness but also not many people know I am on the spectrum since I don’t tell many people I know in real life unless it’s on a need to know basis.

I think that as a result of misunderstandings, autistic people are more likely to think other people don't care about their feelings which makes them less inclined to exert the extra effort to say things in a sensitive way to avoid someone getting upset.
What about the ones who don't take orders without a logical reason?

I don't understand your question. The spectrum consists of the DSM-IV diagnoses of autistic disorder, Asperger's, and PDD-NOS merged into one in the DSM-V. If you're officially diagnosed, you're on the spectrum.
Those who aren't officially diagnosed might be suspected cases.

Problem is l question everything. I mean everything. And my agreeableness is based on how many idiots l am surrounded by. All l can truly say is l have lost count.

New Threads

Top Bottom