1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Agreeableness and autism

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Myrtonos, May 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Well-Known Member

Is scoring low in agreeableness a personality predictor, not for being on the spectrum, but being officially diagnosed? Is autism ever associated with not only having difficulty understanding how one's actions make other people feel but not even caring?

• Like Like x 2
  2. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member

Tell them what they think they want to hear!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝

Being neuro-diverse, our whole frame of reference is different than that of neurotypicals. And this is in no small part due to our diminished social instincts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. MyLifeAsAnAspie

MyLifeAsAnAspie New Member

Lack of "agreeableness" sounds like it could fall in both the social com. and rigid behavior Dx criteria. Probably more rigid behavior though. The "caring" part is empathy and is not part of the Dx criteria. I believe lack of empathy, in ASD, is mostly a false perception, not a trait.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  5. unperson

unperson Well-Known Member

Naw, lack of empathy is not a false perception. Empathy levels vary a lot, both in ND & NT.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MyLifeAsAnAspie

Sorry, I meant lack of empathy being ascribed as an ASD trait. I edited my post above to clarify that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. risootser

risootser Well-Known Member

Agreeable consists of facets:
    Trust
    Straightforwardness
    Altruism
    Compliance
    Modesty
    Tender-mindedness

I usually value those traits. I might be lowest on tender-mindedness. My scores are not low lowest possible. There are people who like to follow others and trust consensus. In a way this can be seen as agreeable while this might not be the case and many agreeable can be covert rebels.

I know people who try to look agreeable but they are never straightforward. It may also reflect on trust. They do not look genuine.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Vindicator Phoenix

Vindicator Phoenix Female or neutral pronouns V.I.P Member

I have autism, and tend to score very high, on the Big Five's agreeableness trait.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

The ones that try to look agreeable are called passive-aggressive

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aspychata

I think maturity to me has been on the days l need to be more caring - l am. And on the days l need to pull in- l do. But l have had to learn this over time. On the days l don't feel agreeable in the least, l keep my piehole ducktaped and practice empathy. Oh wait, that's called masking???

• Like Like x 1
  11. cnn

cnn Let`s talk

I am very agreeable as long as people comply with my terms.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝

Wouldn't that be masking tape, then...? [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Matthias

Matthias Well-Known Member

I don't understand your question. The spectrum consists of the DSM-IV diagnoses of autistic disorder, Asperger's, and PDD-NOS merged into one in the DSM-V. If you're officially diagnosed, you're on the spectrum.

I think that as a result of misunderstandings, autistic people are more likely to think other people don't care about their feelings which makes them less inclined to exert the extra effort to say things in a sensitive way to avoid someone getting upset.

Many of the big, muscular men I've talked to at fitness centers talk to people the same way (direct and straighforward). I used to think they didn't care about other people's feelings but after being around them long enough I realized they did care. They talked that way because they consider being sensitive to be feminine and they want to act like a man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Adora

Adora Well-Known Member

I have done those Big Five tests and score high on agreeableness.

15. Myrtonos

@Adora I thought you would and wonder if people like you and maybe @Vinca are ever told they are too agreeable to have Asperger's, like other people finding it hard to believe they are on the spectrum because they are so used to living for those people and finding out what they want.

16. Adora

Adora Well-Known Member

I never been accused of not being on the spectrum due to high aggreableness but also not many people know I am on the spectrum since I don’t tell many people I know in real life unless it’s on a need to know basis.

17. MyLifeAsAnAspie

I scored in the 9 percentile on the big-five-agreeableness. I'm not surprised :p.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Myrtonos

What about the ones who don't take orders without a logical reason?

19. Myrtonos

Those who aren't officially diagnosed might be suspected cases.

20. Aspychata

Problem is l question everything. I mean everything. And my agreeableness is based on how many idiots l am surrounded by. All l can truly say is l have lost count.

• Agree Agree x 1