• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"After what I've been through, don't tell me I'm not autistic"

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
An article I thought some would appreciate:

'After what I've been through, don't tell me I'm not autistic' | Public Leaders Network | Guardian Professional

It's all so glaringly obvious to me in retrospect. Not to others though. "I am autistic," I say, and they say, "no you aren't, you can't be".

Well here's the thing. I am. The 45/50 says I am. The trained qualified clinical psychologist says I am. But truth be told. Tony Attwood and his absolutely mind-blowing explanations of how autism, and especially Asperger's, affects women rather differently than men told me I was.

I've been diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder, depression and anxiety in the space of six months. "I don't know who I am, who are you?" still runs through my head. But alongside it runs something else: an understanding, an ability to cut myself some slack. The person who read me the letter didn't understand why I was coming across one way when I was intending to come across in a completely different way. My boss didn't understand. No one understood, least of all me. It turns out, in the end, that the prevailing theory is that I am allergic to people, currently. If I spend any time with anyone but my other half, I pay for it. I am exhausted, often for days after. We think that this is because I am doing so much processing, trying to fit in and not stick out as being different that I've worn out my brain a bit.

The simple fact is, I was burning through massive amounts of processing power, just trying to look like all of you. There was nothing left to do my job. I remember someone commenting loudly in the office that I looked exhausted every evening.

Well I was. This is why. I was, as servers go, running at max. The line was at the top all the time. It was so bad by the end I couldn't drop out of fight or flight. I'd been in it for months by that point. It was normal. I burned through all my reserves, I burned through everything. Right down to the bone.

And then I snapped.

This article helped me to gain some perspective as to why I am the way I am, today. Burnout for an Aspie - that explains so much!

Wow, I am nearly speechless. Thank you for posting that. I too am exhausted when I have been around people and sometimes need a few days to recover but the author explained it better than I had to myself. Again, thank you for posting the article :)

Fantastic article, thanks for posting.

I know exactly what the author means. I wasn't diagnosed until a couple of years ago, and the few people I told didn't believe me. I had one friend who said I "couldn't be" read a book about Aspergers, and then she came back and said "oh yes, that's totally you".

I can fake 'normal' quite well, but is exhausting for me. It wasn't until after my diagnosis and doing a lot of reading, that I connected having to interact with people all day, with how shattered I felt every night. Now I have learnt what sets me off, I have been able to cut back a lot and life is better.

It's good to see articles like this being written, to draw awareness to those of us that are "hidden" autistics.

New Threads

Top Bottom