• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ads REALLY jamming up my computer...

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
I've always been happy to allow ads on AF, since server fees and other fees associated with running a web forum are NOT cheap and I felt that Brent could make far more money with ads than with the upgrade, which I always thought was priced too low.

However, lately it seems as if nearly ALL ads are bandwidth hogging videos that play automatically and can't be turned off. Sometimes there will be three of these on a single page, and my older (2012, but running Linux Mint 19.3) laptop simply can't handle them. I will type and the letters simply won't show up on screen for several minutes while the ads spin away, and when the letters do show up they sometimes will put up ONE letter every 10-15 seconds. My internet is cable, but due to where I live and the way the wiring is configured at my home I don't have the ultra-fast internet that Google Ads seems to think everybody has.

I know this really isn't Whipp Media's fault, they probably use Google Ads like everybody else and Google will put up most ads as long as they get paid, something that has led in the past to ads that automatically download malware onto your PC.

Sometimes video ads will download one after the other, making the site useless as video after video after video plays, three on a single page. Ultimately the browser will simply crash and I will have to force quit.

If I have to pay the upgrade fees in order for the site to be usable to me, I will do so. But I would like there to be some way to not have these video ads. A lot of users here are poor and have older PC's and inferior connections, and Google's tendency to force us to play videos constantly for products we can't buy is becoming infuriating.

Unfortunately, the only real way to TRULY avoid ads is to simply use Adblocker and similar programs. Yeah, I know... it detracts money from the site... er... sort of. Ads that require clicking on before they generate money are utterly worthless to anyone using an adblocker, as they wouldnt click on them ANYWAY. If there is some other way they ever generate anything, I dont know what it is.

Even more important since ads are kinda getting dangerous. Supporting a site by allowing ads is one thing. Supporting a site when even its owners have zero control over the often malicious things that appear in the sidebars is a whole other beast. I dunno about everyone else, but I'd rather just donate to a Patreon or something in all cases.

In all honesty I dont know how anyone ever puts up with the things. If the adblockers were ever to truly stop working... that would be the complete end of my time on the internet. I just dont have the undying patience required to deal with the idiotic things and at no point will I ever buy what they're waving at me anyway (rather, they're likely to make me buy from a competing company instead, just out of spite).

Rambling here a bit, but yeah, that's just how it is with this stuff. The Net is a mostly miserable experience without the blockers... no way around that fact.

Or some people support the site with a V.I.P. membership and
don't see any ads. You get longer Edit time and access to the
V.I.P. section of the forum.

I just paid $10 for a lifetime membership for you. Log out and log back in, and there should be no more ads- ever.

Now you're officially a VIP member <3 :D

You're welcome. P.S. I saw the Oregon Lottery pic, and knew you were local, so I have to help a brother out! PDX here

I decided to post my email reply to @Yeshuasdaughter:

========

Thank you SO MUCH! I REALLY appreciate it!

Actually, my land is just south of the CA/OR line, east of Hornbrook which is the first town you come to driving south out of Ashland on I-5. The nearest place to shop is Medford, and I saw the lottery logo all over. I thought of the crossed fingers when I was setting yet another hoped for date to begin my move. I've had 3 past dates scuttled, so I am hoping I'll be able to drive up on the 21st of June.

========

Add: Hm, I'm still getting ads. I may have to do some deletion of cookies.

New Threads

Top Bottom