1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Administration To Propose Ban On Flavored E-Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Judge, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Seems they have the ability to implement such a thing directly to the FDA. And that the FDA has the mandate to do so without any act of Congress.

Hopefully the CDC can eventually determine what it is that is destroying the lungs of so many young people who vape. Though it seems laughable that THC alone could be the culprit, as the vaping industry claims.

I just hope this doesn't "boomerang" and push more young people into using mainstream tobacco products.

Trump administration announces plans to ban flavored e-cigarettes from market - Reuters

2. Judge

Interesting to see that NBC commissioned lab tests on both white and black market THC vapes. The white (retail) market THC vapes showed no toxic residual concerns.

However the black market THC vapes all indicated a presence of hydrogen cyanide. A highly toxic substance known to cause cardiovascular and respiratory ailments.

Tests show bootleg marijuana vapes tainted with hydrogen cyanide

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

Considering EVERY time you ban something you make demand for it on the black market this seems like a bad idea.
    Ban Alcohol you make bootleggers and speakeasies
    Tax something more than a nearby area and you get smugglers.
    Ban a book and more people read it because they want to know what those in power don't want you to know.
    Regulation and Education work far better.

4. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I think banning it may be good since a lot of teens vape and they may be less likely to get black market goods. But I would support regulation and education as well.

5. Judge

Black markets selling THC cartridges are flourishing. Particularly in states where virtually all forms of Marijuana are prohibited, apart from the black market selling their product at a reduced price compared to legitimate manufacturers.

Even if the offending substance is isolated solely to black market production, those producing bogus cartridges probably don't care about product purity any more than would illicit meth labs. And the more the black market is willing to undercut their price, the less their customers will care about the toxicity of the product. Dynamics their legitimate counterparts simply can't compete with. Finally factor in nicotine, and just how addictive it really is.

- "Catch-22". A "perfect storm" for black marketeers whether government does something or nothing at all.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. Questella

Questella Peace, Love and all that good stuff

How the real ones (nonbootleg) don't "catch your eye"

:oops:

7. Judge

I suppose that's the real question. Whether or not the real ones have any toxic contents or not. Even then, they're still selling nicotine. It's a weird dynamic in terms of government supposedly looking after the health and welfare of the public. :confused:

But then in terms of any number of legal decisions, most of them favor commerce and not consumers. :oops:

AWKWARD!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheGuyWithTheTacoma

TheGuyWithTheTacoma Well-Known Member

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, I smoked weed one time, and I’ve been known to enjoy an occasional cigar with friends. I even tried a friend’s vape one time, but it did nothing for me. I have a lot of friends who smoke cigarettes, and a few of them have been attempting to switch to vapes, but they still smoke both.

A few people I know have never touched cigarettes but vape.

I do not allow smoking in my truck, but I do allow friends to vape in my truck because the odor is quite pleasant compared to tobacco smoke and does not linger. That is about the only thing I like about vapes.

Based on what I’ve heard about vapes, I actually believe that cigarettes are less harmful in the long run. People have been smoking those for centuries!

I don’t think an outright ban on vapes is the answer, but I think access to them should be much more heavily regulated.