• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Adhd & Aspergers boy 11 with no friends

Reggie

Hello I’m looking for help/tips on how to help my son make friends as he’s terribly lonely.

We’ve tried clubs etc but they don’t last, and primary school friends have no time for him. It’s breaking my heart that he goes to school each day knowing no one interacts with him.

He acts young for his age and he obsesses over films, and he loves re-enacting movie scenes.

I wondered if online chat rooms maybe an option

IMG_0512.JPG
welcome
IMG_0511.JPG
are there National autistic Society groups for children in your area.
I know in the USA they have local groups for autism specifically high functioning autism, I looked them up on the Internet for someone .I have no idea about the UK!

Hi Reggie and welcome. Below is a website good for meeting people with similar interests, I have seen some Asperger's groups at least in my area for parents and their kids to go to together. Or maybe you could join an Asperger's parents' group and if there was someone with a child around your son's age you could get them together. There are probably ADHD groups as well.

We are what we do | Meetup

Online chat rooms may be an option, but you as his Parent need to keep an eye on what he's doing and who he's chatting to IMO.

Especially if he decides he wants to meet up with anyone he chats to in the "real" world, as some people in online chat rooms aren't as young as they might say they are, he might think he's chatting to another 11 year old when in reality he's talking to someone my age (early 40's) for instance, it's happened before, they did a story line about it on Coronation St a few years ago about kids being "groomed" in online chat rooms.

I don't wish to scare you, just saying be careful is all.

Athletic programs for special needs children might be an option, too. My autistic nephew made many friends among his teammates and loved playing sports when he was growing up.

New Threads

Top Bottom