1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Addressing a concern.

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Wolf Prince, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

So im not a Republican or Democrat. Im just an American. Of late I have concerns about free speech and thinking. Namely due to the speeches and actions of some of the democrats and those who are very obsessed with their views. That there has been a severe crackdown on free speech none can deny. It seems anyone who disagrees with them is put in danger. If these people take power. What happens to aspies?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. inkfingers

inkfingers 19 year old Aspie artist and Jesus follower

Hi, Wolf Prince! I doubt aspies would be in danger from these people simply because of our autism. If these Democrats became more powerful, they'd probably just shame people who have more conservative values? I have noticed that far left Democrats are all for tolerance and a variety of beliefs, but seem to be against Christians, or at maybe look down on them. Of course this doesn't apply to all Liberals, but in general, this seems to be the trend.

Also, I don't know if there really has been a crackdown on free speech, but rather an attack on certain beliefs and views.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Most of this boils down to the mechanics of law. That the only way government can "crack down" on free speech is through due process of law. Not mere election cycle speeches. When the Department of Justice opts to prosecute unlawful speech having determined the following:

That such speech in question is “directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action,” and that said speech is “likely to incite or produce such action.” (Formally known as the "Brandenburg Test".)

Brandenburg test

Political party rhetoric in an election cycle isn't likely to ever count. Though one is always free to report such an accusation to the Department of Justice, but don't expect them to react even if you think the offender meets such criteria. The legal reality is that you have to be able to prove one is in real, imminent danger as a direct result of such speech. And that the benchmarks for ascertaining as such are very, very high in accordance with various Supreme Court precedents.

KKK hate speech for instance. You'd think it inherently puts people in danger. Or Nazi party members marching down a Jewish neighborhood in Skokie Illinois. No brainers, right? WRONG. Our highest court of the land has adjudicated such cases long ago to determine that such conditions in fact do not meet the law's requirements to establish something that has precipitated an "imminent, lawless action". Precedents that have essentially sidelined the legal doctrine of "Clear and Present Danger".

So it follows that election cycle rhetoric from political parties no matter how shrill amounts to nothing more than constitutional free speech. First Amendment rights that no sane federal prosecutor is likely to challenge. It's a weird dichotomy where people erroneously believe their constitutional right of free speech is eroding, when the reality is that it's so legally broad that most anything goes short of attributing such speech to injuries and deaths.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Aspychata

Aspychata But this is my happy face.....

@Wolf Prince The movie titled Vice,( Christian Bale plays Dick Cheney) explains how Dick Cheney took control and created the fake fear, he allowed the US gov to mointer every phone with no court judgement. He challenged and changed many laws in the US. This movie starts out pro-republic then does a 180 turn and you learn why we lost so many rights.

• Friendly Friendly x 1