• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Accepted to college!

JojobaOil

I finally know where I am going to be next year, and it is so relieving. Most of the stress of the college process comes from not knowing anything and I hate ambiguity. In a year I'll be attending one of the most prestigious colleges in America (it's one of the ivy leagues)!

But it's one of those mixed victories. Now I have no idea what I'll say when people try to talk to me. I had so much scripted college 'stuff'. You can never win them all :p

Omg, so excited for you. Don't forget to share your achievements with us, it's a big step for you but you got this, slam dunk!!

Congratulations!

I also want to mention that sometimes ASD people have difficulty when they start college. I didn't - whatever interpersonal issues I had, I was always a very good student - but I have seen it happen in other, quite bright students with autism. Don't anticipate the worst, but stay open to the idea of accepting help, whether supportive therapy or disability accommodations if that should be needed. Best of luck!

Congratz! I went to college and my advice is to take advantage of disability accommodations that are available to you. For me getting extra time on tests was extremely helpful. I wish you the best of luck.

Congrats! What are you studying?

I didn't find out which colleges I got into until March because I didn't apply early decision anywhere, so I had less time between acceptance and graduation, but this is basically what I said whenever someone asked about college/life: "I can't believe my senior year is almost over! It's gone by so quickly. I'm really looking forward to starting at [school], though." And then I would normally ask for a piece of advice relevant to the person. For example, where I go to school it rains a lot, so if someone else lived somewhere rainy, I would ask them their best tips for handling the rain. (my best tip for handling the rain is to keep an extra pair of socks in your backpack, as well as a ziplock bag to put your phone in)

I felt like talking about my reaction. The results came through an internet portal so you refresh and there’s the result. I saw the first “congratulations!” And I fell out of my chair I was so excited! Proceeded to roll around on the floor for a few moments and when I got up I just couldn’t stop pacing! I’ve never had that much energy before. Then whenever I tried to stand still I started jumping, I just couldn’t do it. It was so exciting!

So far I’ve created a spreadsheet with all the classes for my major. I’m trying to plan my course sequencing out now so I can sort out when to take the actuarial exams and all that. Four years really just feels like it isn’t enough time.

Last edited:
I’m very into my school. I’ve watched nearly every dorm video/vlog I could find on YouTube and a lot of the promotional material they’ve put out too. I’ve also put together several spreadsheets outlining the course progression for my major. Plus they let prospective students view all the current + next semester course catalogue, so I’ve been working through some of the professors reviews and syllabi. I’m just so excited! And then today someone sent me pictures of the campus because they were visiting and they even got videos of some building interiors. It’s like the best surprise present I’ve gotten since Christmas. I even went through the first 10 pages of google results for my school. There isn’t a lot, but what’s there is good. Honestly it’s all I’ve thought about while on break from high school. I won’t be able to visit until orientation period in a few months but I just want to be there already.

I felt like talking about my reaction. The results came through an internet portal so you refresh and there’s the result. I saw the first “congratulations!” And I fell out of my chair I was so excited! Proceeded to roll around on the floor for a few moments and when I got up I just couldn’t stop pacing! I’ve never had that much energy before. Then whenever I tried to stand still I started jumping, I just couldn’t do it. It was so exciting!

So far I’ve created a spreadsheet with all the classes for my major. I’m trying to plan my course sequencing out now so I can sort out when to take the actuarial exams and all that. Four years really just feels like it isn’t enough time.

Congratulations! Your exuberance and spreadsheet listing all your classes remind me of myself when I was your age. Actuarial Science is a good field of study.

Just be prepared for the unexpected. No matter how well we spreadsheet our life, unstuff can happened, so college is also learning to be adaptable to the *unstuff* like flu durning exams, bad roommates, teachers that hate you, crappy overpriced cafeteria food, and finally, never ending assignments but then after college, everything seems easy!! Yay you!!

Just be prepared for the unexpected. No matter how well we spreadsheet our life, unstuff can happened, so college is also learning to be adaptable to the *unstuff* like flu durning exams, bad roommates, teachers that hate you, crappy overpriced cafeteria food, and finally, never ending assignments but then after college, everything seems easy!! Yay you!!

I guess you were right! Now things are looking uncertain about whether or not we will even be in school this fall, so I'm not very far from where I started in December. Even though I know you meant more typical every day school life.

Also now I'm leaning toward Math/Plant Biology and trying my hardest to combine the two and fit into the school curriculum now that I have had a lot of time to myself to think. That's another change. This is because I enjoy plants, gardens, and botany. My ideal life has always been living in a house with big sunny windows in a quiet neighborhood. I found this instagram account and I figured that I wanted a life just like that someday filled with light and flowers. It's a nice thought. But also on the other hand I like the precision and application of math and mathematical concepts. If you know of any obvious overlap, let me know. I can't seem to figure out how they relate exactly on my own. Gardens, greenhouses, problem sets, almanacs, diagrams.

This whole situation with the social distancing and isolation has really scattered my brain I think. And this is a common feeling I think. I just can't seem to order myself the way I have been. How can doing nothing make you so tired? I think it might be depression creeping in again :( it's not outside that I miss most, it's the structure. I think this is also normal though. (I've also been thinking that maybe I've been focusing too much on this idea of being/wanting to be "normal" or "average" maybe you can understand?)

I guess you were right! Now things are looking uncertain about whether or not we will even be in school this fall, so I'm not very far from where I started in December. Even though I know you meant more typical every day school life.

Also now I'm leaning toward Math/Plant Biology and trying my hardest to combine the two and fit into the school curriculum now that I have had a lot of time to myself to think. That's another change. This is because I enjoy plants, gardens, and botany. My ideal life has always been living in a house with big sunny windows in a quiet neighborhood. I found this instagram account and I figured that I wanted a life just like that someday filled with light and flowers. It's a nice thought. But also on the other hand I like the precision and application of math and mathematical concepts. If you know of any obvious overlap, let me know. I can't seem to figure out how they relate exactly on my own. Gardens, greenhouses, problem sets, almanacs, diagrams.

This whole situation with the social distancing and isolation has really scattered my brain I think. And this is a common feeling I think. I just can't seem to order myself the way I have been. How can doing nothing make you so tired? I think it might be depression creeping in again :( it's not outside that I miss most, it's the structure. I think this is also normal though. (I've also been thinking that maybe I've been focusing too much on this idea of being/wanting to be "normal" or "average" maybe you can understand?)

Truthfully - this happens a lot. You arrived at college to fulfill your quest of knowledge in your chosen area but then maybe being on the spectrum, we immediately find a new interest. Maybe just major in one area, and minor in another area. But decide which one is your life passion. Maybe this virus time fart gives you excellent timing to research where you want to go and change your major if you need to. What you are feeling is what a lot of us are feeling. Just stick it out, stay determined, nobody says college is easy. You just stay on your path till you get your degree.

As someone who was undecided on a field of study as you are now, I would suggest studying something you truly love or have a strong interest in. It sounds like Math and Botany are things you love. Maybe talk to someone in your University, and see what they advise. I found a site that had information on molecular biology that I found interesting.

https://www.botany.org/bsa/careers/molecular_biology.php

Last edited:
Also now I'm leaning toward Math/Plant Biology and trying my hardest to combine the two and fit into the school curriculum now that I have had a lot of time to myself to think. That's another change. This is because I enjoy plants, gardens, and botany. My ideal life has always been living in a house with big sunny windows in a quiet neighborhood. I found this Instagram account and I figured that I wanted a life just like that someday filled with light and flowers. It's a nice thought. But also on the other hand I like the precision and application of math and mathematical concepts. If you know of any obvious overlap, let me know.
The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants
(University of Calgary)

Speaking of Canada … Having recently reread and enjoyed Anne of Green Gables and its sequels, I would say that one thing I find disappointing about Anne is her aversion to maths. I'd like to think that in a later era her love of the beauty of nature might have led her to a research career in oceanography or fractal geometry.

New Threads

Top Bottom