• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

About to lose my job.

Orangebeagle

Hello,
I don’t know whether I should post this on the autism forum or the depression forum, to be honest. I’m about to lose my job because of being late and calling in too many times. My boss says I’m a good worker, but attendance is corporate policy and is out of her hands. I personally think I work more than half the people who show up and just play on their phones all day. But the problem is on days like these when I can’t motivate myself to get out of bed. It’s 7pm now and I have only gotten out of bed to eat a couple granola bars since last night. Does anyone else with high functioning autism have this issue? Or should I address a depression forum?

welcome to af.png

I'm right there with you. Burnout from routine and also from being around people is very real. xo

Welcome.

:)

Many of us are here for similar situations past and present. I hope you will find some help and companionship.

A lot of autistic people definitely struggle with that problem. Have you thought about trying to apply for disability or FMLA? FMLA will protect you from losing your job on days when you simply can’t get up. Are you able to contact the HR department at your job and let them know what’s going on? You also definitely need to seek help with managing executive dysfunction.

So sorry to hear this. I suffered so badly from depression, l went completely numb. I was on antidepressants for almost half a year. You kinda of feel like a zombie. Everything requires so much effort. Seemed like l was in extreme shock from some things l went thru. I had to bus to work and bus back which was so draining.

Are you preferring sleep over everything else? I do fall into choosing sleep and dreams over my life at times. I did quit working due anxiety but l can still pay my bills.

Can you collect unemployment? Can you consider a prescription for anxiety or antidepressants for a couple of months? Can you live with a relative until you get back on your feet again?

Hope you find answers and you can always go to ER and ask for a referral to a md to help with what you are going thru. They may even write a prescription for you to tide you over until you get appt scheduled.

A lot of us fall in to this boat.

My BF had surgery and was given a month off for recovery and he just didn't go back after 3 months, as the time went on he felt more anxious about the fact that he kept doing nothing to help his situation. It's kinda like a phobia to return. He called to check when he could go back and he had to go through investigation and reprimands. He ended up keeping his job after I suggested he get doctor notes describing his condition and him talking to his union rep.

if you are in a union or have a psychiatrist, therapist , etc then can talk on your behalf or write a letter on your behalf you'll definitely be in a better situation.

if you are in a union or have a psychiatrist, therapist , etc then can talk on your behalf or write a letter on your behalf you'll definitely be in a better situation.
This is really good advice. I've had my therapist and my primary care doctor write notes for me because of issues I've had at jobs. Sometimes it helps employers understand more (even though they should believe you anyway!) Depression is awful. I've had a very hard time keeping a traditional job because of my mental health issues too. Hopefully getting a doctor's note will help. And if it doesn't, you might want to look into applying for disability benefits.
Btw @Orangebeagle , I love orange Beagles and lemon Beagles! :blush:
I found this picture of an orange Beagle, playing with an orange!
dsoryamqebx04s8xcinf.jpeg

Hi and welcome. It's good that you are here. Lots here have come up against similar issues. I wonder if it's also linked to our comparative isolation, which, while we may prefer to be quiet and separate, can become an effort in itself. Easy relating takes a load off people, and many of us don't have that. Does work properly understand your situation? I hope you can get support to explain it to them.

Hi and welcome. It's good that you are here. Lots here have come up against similar issues. I wonder if it's also linked to our comparative isolation, which, while we may prefer to be quiet and separate, can become an effort in itself. Easy relating takes a load off people, and many of us don't have that. Does work properly understand your situation? I hope you can get support to explain it to them.
This is a very good point. In my early career I was required to interface with the public. I am normally depressed, but interfacing with the public drove my depression so extreme that I was totally incapacitated. While I may have been close to being fired, I quit first because I simply could not take it any more. It was a good life lesson for me to have learned to never again apply for a job that required social contact with other people. This worked well throughout my career. In my best job I had my private office and private work lab with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. Also, my boss knew that I could not tolerate interruptions. It was my boss that put the sign on the door. He said that I worked better than any other employee as long as I was kept alone. I truly flourished in that job.
Perhaps your job is just too depressing?
Perhaps you need a more fitting job?

Fortunately every job I ever had, I had my own lab, Worked alone Alone shared with inspectors had a lab partner a few times, we each did our own thing. education is every thing, that's the route to freedom.

Welcome! As others have noted, if you haven't already, you may wish to, since your boss otherwise likes you, disclose that you may require accommodations and ensure that HR is aware that you are experiencing challenges which should be looked at from a different lens than the one usually applied.

Hello,
I can relate! While attendance was never an issue burnout has always been a problem. I would do fine for a couple of years at each job then start to get bored, ignored and tired of it all. I could rant about it all. But I won't. I wish you well.

New Threads

Top Bottom