• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

'A Working Guy' With Autism

Brent

Administrator
Phillip Griffin wasn’t sure what the future held when he received his high school diploma five years ago. He wanted to work, but he knew the job search wouldn’t be easy. Griffin has Asperger’s syndrome, an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that can make it very hard to connect and communicate with others.

The majority of adults with autism are unemployed or underemployed. According to a recent survey, only about half of young adults with an ASD had worked for pay outside the home during the first eight years after high school and just one in five had full-time jobs. The study found that salaries earned by autistic adults were lower than for people with other disabilities. The findings are especially troubling when you consider that some 50,000 individuals with an ASD turn 18 each year.

“Not being able to express themselves properly, difficulty reading body language, the inability to perceive things from the point of view of another person, that can all be surprisingly detrimental when you’re trying to do something as simple as getting through a job interview,” said Eric Samstad, MD, medical director of the Adult Autism and Developmental Disorders Center at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, Md.

Griffin, 23, eventually landed his first job, but the work and pay were a big disappointment. “I was a grown man and believed I could do more,” he said. Now, four years later, Griffin has a job well-suited to his personality and interest in computers: He is an associate at AutonomyWorks, a Chicago-based technology company that trains and employs people with autism. Griffin works on website maintenance, data entry, and software testing.

“Having Asperger’s, it was certain that once he could find a place that could appreciate his special skill set that he would be a dedicated worker,” said Griffin’s mother Marikay.

For Cynthia Kim, 45, just the thought of a job interview made getting work seem daunting. “I don’t think I would even get past the job interview for many of the jobs I’d like to do or would be good at,” said Kim, whose Asperger’s wasn’t diagnosed until she was in her early forties. “I don’t present well in those high-pressure situations where social skills are being evaluated.”

The solution for Kim was to start her own business. For 20 years, she’s been an independent publisher of sports-related books. “It pushes me to continue developing new skills, to solve problems, to think outside the box,” said Kim, who has written a book about adult autism. “Most of what I know about running a business is self-taught, and it's very fulfilling to look at what I've created and feel like it's an expression of me and my unique way of doing things.”

Being self-employed has its challenges. “I have a lot of intricate systems that I use to keep myself on track to make sure I’m meeting goals,” she said. “There’s no one there saying, ‘Did you do this or that?’ You have to create your own system of checks and balances.”

Kim sees “a big gap” in services to help people “who are like me, who have a job, who have a family, but would benefit from some very pinpointed needs like job coaching and help with navigating social situations on the job.”

Now researchers at Northwestern University think they have found a way to help adults with autism be more effective at job seeking.

In a small study, adults with an ASD interacted with a computer-simulated interviewer named “Molly Porter.” Using software originally designed to hone FBI agents’ interrogation skills, Molly was programmed to ask participants a series of questions and then react according to the appropriateness of their responses.

“The virtual reality training helps by allowing the trainees to repeatedly practice answering the interview questions out loud,” said lead researcher Matthew Smith. “They are able to learn what responses are more helpful to establishing a rapport with Molly and which ones could be damaging.”

Dr. Samstad thinks the research is promising. “If you can train people in a virtual reality setting where it’s safe and can help them with their emotional reactions and then let them ease into a realistic setting, I think that’s very exciting,” he said.

Improving autistic adults’ chances of finding employment can be a win-win for prospective hires as well as employers.

“We now know that people on the spectrum have incredible skills that in some cases nobody else does,” said Leslie Long, director of adult services at autism advocacy group Autism Speaks, which offers job-related resources and networking groups. Long points to “their abilities as visual thinkers, close attention to detail, and not socializing but paying attention to their job.”

Griffin’s mom is thankful her son found work that gives him more independence and helps him learn valuable life lessons. “It’s his new identity,” Marikay said. “He’s a working guy, and a working guy has to master some life skills like what to wear, what to eat, how to get to work… built-in life skills that he picked up once he was working steadily.”

Source: 'A Working Guy' With Autism - Everyday Health

There are so many skills that can fit the autistic mind.They can make their lives whole and fit into the ways of the world around them.
My self-employment was a very positive influence on my life skills. I was an asset to my employers along the way when I fit their requirements. Perfection and nothing less has always been my focus on anything I do.

Thanks for sharing Brent

I like the idea of the Molly Porter program! That would have helped me a lot. I was terrible at applications and interviews for a long time. Most interviewers I've experienced kept such a straight face I had no idea I was doing anything wrong, and if they were uncomfortable, I was too busy trying to pad my answers to notice--I couldn't help but over-answer questions. Later on, I figured out--keep it short, sweet and to the point!

Ah... jobs where you just keep your mouth shut and work--love 'em!

How about if employers focused on job skills & productivity, instead of sociability?

How about if I spend my time & effort honing skills relevant to my field, instead of learning to put on appearances?

How about if they worked on fixing what's actually broken, instead of pretending that we need to be fixed?

How about if employers focused on job skills & productivity, instead of sociability?

How about if I spend my time & effort honing skills relevant to my field, instead of learning to put on appearances?

How about if they worked on fixing what's actually broken, instead of pretending that we need to be fixed?

How about terminating the employment of those who consistently turn up late, don't know how to do their job, but, because they are 'the life of the office', get to keep their jobs anyway?

How about respect towards, and acknowledgement of, those silent achievers who basically keep everything going in the workplace and without which the company in question would be in serious trouble?

How about... I'm on a roll here :)... accepting the fact that having in place a standard procedure that must be followed, simply for the sake of having one, is often not a good idea because it stifles initiative and creativity?

Ah... jobs where you just keep your mouth shut and work--love 'em!

Strangely enough, this never seemed to be sufficient to allow me to actually keep any of the many (too many to count) jobs that I have had over the years. Yes indeed, it is a very, very odd species that we apparently belong to.

What if you worked for the company I do? We actually do these things, so they exist. :)

It's a well-known company...within Canada. Unfortunately, most hiring (at entry level) is done through agencies.

New Threads

Top Bottom