• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Warning for Pet Owners

Yes, I heard about that....fortunately I didn't use that product. I use Bravecto, but I hear that it only works for 2 months not 3 as they claim.

Thank you for sharing this information. Fortunately, I use an edible flea/tick preventative (for my dogs, not me, lol), but this is important information for those who use it.

Oh wow, I use this product for my Lilly! Does anyone have any recommendations for something safer that is still effective?

I used a pill, not realizing how many dogs have died/became ill as a result. Coincidentally, My dogs all had perfect blood workups prior to my giving this to them in 2016. All three were affected, one (2 year old very healthy) died soon after of kidney failure. One was ill and recovering for two years. One only showed a hit in the labs/otherwise not ill outward. I didn't know. Autopsy proved it. 3 dogs given, 2 ill, all lab/blood workups showed elevated BUN. This was Bravecto. Some dogs took many doses to be affected, mine only one time dose.

I used a pill, not realizing how many dogs have died/became ill as a result. Coincidentally, My dogs all had perfect blood workups prior to my giving this to them in 2016. All three were affected, one (2 year old very healthy) died soon after of kidney failure. One was ill and recovering for two years. One only showed a hit in the labs/otherwise not ill outward. I didn't know. Autopsy proved it. 3 dogs given, 2 ill, all lab/blood workups showed elevated BUN. This was Bravecto. Some dogs took many doses to be affected, mine only one time dose.
I am so sorry that happened to your dogs! That sounds heartbreaking, especially since you were only trying to do what is right.

I had a similar thing, but not with flea medication. My cat of 11 years would have lived longer if I had known that the inexpensive rabies vaccine that most clinics and shelters give is not formulated specifically for cats, but is more "broad spectrum" so that it can be used on both cats and dogs, possibly other animals. This cheaper vaccine came with a high risk of cancer. My cat succumbed to cancer because of this.

My current cats go to the vet and although it is more expensive, are only given the vaccine that is formulated for felines.

I am so sorry that happened to your dogs! That sounds heartbreaking, especially since you were only trying to do what is right.

You never get over it. We fought so hard to try to help her. It was traumatizing that loss, and then followed by almost losing another from the same as he battled the after effects for almost 2 years... I'd awake almost every morning between 2-4 AM to a dog that was afraid and vomiting. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. These are fairly large size dogs, and they act afraid and verbally petition you when they are not well. It's so draining to try to comfort a dog who is going through that and wining at you to help.

I am so sorry to hear of what happened with your cat. Yes the Rabies shots are quite harsh on the system. Less is better. And of course, before we understood this we vaccinated them with every last vaccine, thinking we were protecting them. Now we do the minimal, and the one that went through that illness, is legally deemed not required to do the Rabies, for he has severe health issues still. FYI Those vaccines come with a statement/exclusion that in some states not to give to pets who have severe health issues/immune system or are ill at the time. Yet, how many times have we taken an ill pet to the vet only to hear that we may as well vaccinate as that is coming due?

It is good to educate oneself. Unfortunately, many... myself included, do not become aware until tragedy strikes.

Oh gosh, this thread is heartbreaking :cry: I'm so sorry to anyone who has lost a pet because of this.
I'd known that for a while about the Seresto collars and have cautioned many pet owners about them... I don't use flea collars or topical medications for my dogs at all. Some dogs have had a very bad reaction to Frontline also.
I use Simparica Trio for my dogs (chewable tablet that you put in their food). Of course no medication, for humans or animals, is 100% perfect for everyone and there will always be side effects in some of the population, but Simparica has been shown to be much safer than some of the others.
Simparica is not recommended for dogs under six months of age.
My youngest has very bad reactions to vaccines of any kind (she's the only dog I've ever had that was like this and it's because she has some inflammation in her growth plates- not uncommon in very large breeds). She still needs to have her shots up to date of course but she takes an anti-inflammatory/pain medication called Rimadyl (Carprofen) when she has a vaccine. I wouldn't recommend Rimadyl to everyone because in large doses it can cause kidney and liver issues, but if your dog has a pain or inflammatory response to vaccines, it's safe to give it to them when they're having the reaction, but I take my girl off it a few days after her vaccine (it's a prescription med and you have to get it from your vet).
She's getting microchipped at her next appointment and I really hope she doesn't have a reaction to that. There is a lot of conflicting information about microchipping as well but all my dogs are chipped, since I live in a densely populated area and the odds of them getting loose or stolen are not miniscule. But another thing I'd say about that is I would advise against putting your address on your dog's collar tag, since if a thief has that information, it makes it easier for them to change it on the microchip if they claim to be you! :fearscream:
There's also a lot of debate about which collars are the least likely to break off or snap if your dog is trying to get away, and I'd go with martingales- I still use traditional buckle collars too but I use the ones with the metal buckles. There is occasionally room for a dog to slip out of a martingale or a choke but it's less likely. And it's not a good idea to use a choke collar as an everyday collar (I really hate that that's what they're called...) I only use them for training, but I won't use more punishment-based tools like E-collars that shock (when I use E-collars I will ONLY set them to vibrate, never shock). I don't think prong collars are great but if I had to use one I would greatly prefer the rubber one to the metal. The metal ones can seriously injure the dog if the handler does not have the proper expertise, and I mostly see prongs used on very aggressive dogs. I have never used one in my life.
If you are going to show your dog I don't recommend the "designer" show leads because I've seen them snap on larger dogs. I use twisted leather leads and martingale leads.
So that's my (very long-winded as usual) two cents on the safety of flea & tick prevention, vaccines, and collars... hope this was helpful for whoever read this. Now it's time for me to be quiet for once :sweatsmile:

New Threads

Top Bottom