• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A (very) short Autistamatic video (now with 100% extra free!)

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
I occasionally post short videos on Twitter, specifically made for that platform. I know not everybody here uses it so I'll post a couple here as I do them. One or two I have already incorporated into posts such as the "disease" one.
This is a private link because the video is not available publicly on the channel itself.

Love that!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. I don't use twitter and have no idea how to use twitter. :)

I don't do them often, but I'll share them here for the friends I have made in this fine community :)

Great subject to discuss. Just the other day I was trying to explain sensory issues to my NT brother from the perspective of an autistic person. Where sight, sound, touch, and even taste and smell can be amplified to a level that can make life uncomfortable.

And it would seem in most cases, this isn't something that has an "off switch". :eek:

Disturbing in hindsight to learn so late in life that not everyone has the same sensory considerations. o_O

Last edited:
Totally agree. We all have different hypersensitive sensory strengths which can also be weaknesses to us, but there's no getting away from them.

Forgot to mention as well, I like the concept and format of this presentation.

The idea of using a "live" conversation to explain the issues at hand. Seems you could use such a format to explain a great deal about our traits and behaviors in a practical way that might just be more effective to your audience.

With consideration to so many other subjects, apart from our sensory issues. Perhaps to demonstrate how difficult a conversation might be to those of us on the spectrum. Especially if it's something that NTs may take for granted. To use this skit format perhaps as a more unique way to dramatize the neurological divide.

Another winner. If you haven't done this before I'd say you're really onto something. Yeah, lol....even if your face isn't in it this time around. :cool:

Last edited:
I often overhear conversations and hear sounds that others don't... My hearing was tested when I was a child and found to be normal, so I don't think that it's because I have better hearing than anyone else's, I think that it's because I notice small sounds where other people don't - they can tune the sounds out, but I can't: they leap out at me and grab my attention all the time.

I often overhear conversations and hear sounds that others don't... My hearing was tested when I was a child and found to be normal, so I don't think that it's because I have better hearing than anyone else's, I think that it's because I notice small sounds where other people don't - they can tune the sounds out, but I can't: they leap out at me and grab my attention all the time.

That's exactly the same as I've observed, and it seems science is catching up with us. It's not that we have better hearing or better eyesight, it's our discernment of details and differences that is heightened. Of course it can also come with unpleasant sensitivities in those senses.

If there's a conversation going on nearby it's usually quite difficult to channel it out. Simple as that.

But when two or more conversations occur with more people, then it all quickly becomes intolerable to even be around...even when I have no interest in hearing such conversations to begin with.

One of the more basic considerations for why I don't particularly appreciate parties.

Last edited:
If there's a conversation going on nearby it's usually quite difficult to channel it out. Simple as that.

But when two or more conversations occur with more people, then it all quickly becomes intolerable to even be around...even when I have no interest in hearing such conversations to begin with.

I quite agree. I can't help hearing aspects of all those conversations and it crowds out my own thoughts.

I don't remember the episode, but there was a conversation in Babylon 5 between the sinister Bester from the PsiCorps (Played by Walter Koenig and named after the fantastic author Alfred Bester) and Captain Sheridan to whom he described why young psychics were taken in by the corps so young. He explained how without training, young psychics could be driven insane by the cacophony of voices in their heads they were unable to shut out, so their own minds could eventually become submerged in a morass of other people's thoughts.

I remember that scene and how it sounded so much like my own experience of aural sensitivity when in a crowded room.

I quite agree. I can't help hearing aspects of all those conversations and it crowds out my own thoughts.

I don't remember the episode, but there was a conversation in Babylon 5 between the sinister Bester from the PsiCorps (Played by Walter Koenig and named after the fantastic author Alfred Bester) and Captain Sheridan to whom he described why young psychics were taken in by the corps so young. He explained how without training, young psychics could be driven insane by the cacophony of voices in their heads they were unable to shut out, so their own minds could eventually become submerged in a morass of other people's thoughts.

I remember that scene and how it sounded so much like my own experience of aural sensitivity when in a crowded room.

Not a bad analogy. Not bad at all.

Perhaps another subject for one of those conversational shorts. ;)

Especially if you can blend in the audio of multiple conversations happening all at once, but merged into a single track. Even better adding yet another track, which would reflect trying to hear your own thought process on top of it all. Where such things all happening at the same time may lead to meltdown or shutdowns. \

It ain't pretty. :eek:

Perhaps giving NTs a better sense of our sensory issues in terms of hearing too many people speak at once.

There are presentations out there like this, but one more can't hurt. Especially if it's done incrementally, starting with two conversations and maybe ending in eight, all at various volumes. For me it would be like watching "The Anatomy of a Shutdown".

Last edited:
A video similiation which quite accurately shows what being subjected to multiple conversations is like is this one. Warning - it is LOUD.

Thanks Judge. It's something already on the cards for a full "newsdesk" video. I expect to be going back to work in the next few weeks so I'm working like billy-o to get scripts written and filmed beforehand. Then I can edit them in my spare time on evenings and weekends.
Of the topics I'm covering, "Meltdowns, shutdowns & breakdowns" is one of them and just such an illustration is planned because it's my own experience :)
Greta minds 'n' all that eh? ;)

A video similiation which quite accurately shows what being subjected to multiple conversations is like is this one. Warning - it is LOUD.

Great find @Progster and similar to what I have planned. What a great illustration :) Hats off to the creator!

Until I got a Tivo box recently, watching live TV really frustrated me so we hardly ever watched it. Almost everything we watched together was streamed, downloaded or on disc. Since we can now pause & rewind live TV we can watch it again. I still have subtitles on for everything I can though ;)

Great find @Progster and similar to what I have planned. What a great illustration :) Hats off to the creator!

Until I got a Tivo box recently, watching live TV really frustrated me so we hardly ever watched it. Almost everything we watched together was streamed, downloaded or on disc. Since we can now pause & rewind live TV we can watch it again. I still have subtitles on for everything I can though ;)
I never watch live TV for the same reason - I watch downloaded or streamed TV shows and work upstairs in an isolated room where I can close the door and hopefully not hear the TV downstairs.

I will also be interested to see any similation that you make. More people need to see those, because that's one thing people don't get - they don't experience it for themselves and can't relate to it. They are useful to help people understand what it is that we are experiencing, to understand that it is a real thing and not just in our heads, so that they might take our sensory issues a bit more seriously.

I never watch live TV for the same reason - I watch TV shows and work upstairs in an isolated room where I can close the door and hopefully not hear the TV downstairs.

I will also be interested to see any simulation that you make. More people need to see those, because that's one thing people don't get - they don't experience it for themselves and can't relate to it. They are useful to help people understand what it is that we are experiencing, to understand that it is a real thing and not just in our heads, so that they might take our sensory issues a bit more seriously.

Good point. It was quite a revelation for me personally to have heard a YouTube video where someone was recreating the audio experience of someone on the spectrum.

Where for the first time I really began to come to terms that my sense of hearing and other senses is really quite different from the rank-and-file of society. And yes, that it is in fact a very real thing indeed!

New Threads

Top Bottom