• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Reflection From an Alternate Reality

SimonSays

Van Dweller
V.I.P Member
Look at yourself in a mirror, but instead of seeing your reflection, imagine you see a version of you from an alternate reality looking at you. Who do you imagine this person is? What qualities does he/she have that you don’t?

When I look in a mirror, that in itself seems to me to be
a view from an alternate universe.

The man in the mirror is the real me and I am his reflection. I look like him but I am not him. I don't mean to copy his every move it just happens. I wonder what his life is like. He seems like he's found something. He lives his own way. He knows who he is. What he wants. Where he's going. There's something different about him. Something I like. I'm not sure how to describe it. I'd like to walk in his shoes. Breathe his air. But he's happy to let me be with him a while. He's always there when I take a look. I appreciate that.

Last edited:
The man in the mirror is the real me and I am his reflection. I look like him but I am not him. I don't mean to copy his every move it just happens. I wonder what his life is like. He seems like he's found something. He lives his own way. He knows who he is. What he wants. Where he's going. There's something different about him. Something I like. I'm not sure how to describe it. I'd like to walk in his shoes. Breathe his air. But he's happy to let me be with him a while. He's always there when I take a look. I appreciate that.

Your better self then. Or at least the version you think is better. The one you aspire to be.

This makes me think of a movie I just watched tonight.
A martial arts wanderer was going through a desert looking for a place that was like a Zen
monastery overseen by a wiseman who guarded a book of wisdom.

He had to pass through several tests along the way.
Lessons on stillness and not speaking continually.
Lessons on love, posessing another and sexual desire/lust.
When to fight and when not to and facing death.

He finally reached the monastery and was offered a life of peace to stay there and he would
inherit the book of wisdom to guard. He would not accept until he saw the book.
They brought it to him and he opened it only to find every page had a circular mirror on it.
Through all of the trials and searching, the book of mirrors wisdom was you find it in yourself
or you find it not.

It reminds me of a phrase from a Leonard Cohen song, Suzanne.
"Suzanne takes you down to a place by the river...
and shows you where to look between the garbage and the flowers,
there are heroes in the seaweed, there are children in the morning
they are reaching out for love and they will reach that way forever,
while Suzanne holds the mirror..."

So the man in the mirror could be the universe within yourself.

The man in the mirror is all there is
He is me just as I am me
But neither of us are what we seem to be
Holding the light
Reflecting the light
The Universe is right
Within myself
Where else would it be?

l am still trying to wrap my brain around this concept. l think l see a spirit with a covering of something that moves around. It looks like a soft warm white light that flickers. l reach out of the mirror but my hand goes thru the flesh. l am trapped in this reflection while the spirit moves around. The spirit nods and acknowledges me but the spirit is ancient and wise and truly is a guide. l know l exist only when the spirit comes and says hi.

New Threads

Top Bottom