• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A realization.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I have realized that I am disposable to all of my local RL friends. The only person I know locally who values having me around for a significant period of time is my boss, who wants me in the office all of the time to the point where she tells me she does not care if I have a doctor’s note, she expects me to work for her five days a week no matter what state I am in.

I just hung up on a sponsor who outright dismissed all of this as me merely “feeling sorry for myself”.

People suck. I am disposable to most people, an extremely low priority. I have to be my own top priority. I have to be my own best friend. Nobody else really cares if I live or if I die.

I'm sorry that you are going through this right now. Maybe you are in a bit of an "Analysis Mode" at the moment and you are reflecting on your relationships with people and identifying that you deserve better?

There is nothing wrong at all with this. Once you've maybe reflected on your current situation, you will identify some priorities in your relationships and how to go about ensuring that people respect your boundaries and treat you as an equal.

I really hate when people describe this sort of thing as "feeling sorry for yourself". It's invalidating and only serves to underline the pain you are feeling.

When you've gone through abuse and gaslighting, it's not unusual to feel like you have to accept lower standards for yourself in relationships and always have to please everyone else.

Identifying things in your life that make you feel low is part of the healing process. Recognizing shortcomings in your current situation is certainly not "feeling sorry for yourself" expressing distress or disappointment is a very valid thing to do.

You are correct! You need to make yourself the priority! From what you've talked about in the past, it sounds like you've often had to put yourself in last place and prioritise others first.

You need to feel what you need to feel. Once you've processed it, you will move on.

Plenty of people care about you here! So think of that as your foundation to build upon :)

Yeah, I get it. I need to build a better life for myself, starting right this very second.

My boss, she only wants me around all of the time because she needs me to work for her. She made it clear she is not a friend of mine, she is my boss and she expects me to work my ass off for her every single day, even when I have a doctor's note excusing me from work for health reasons.

The only other people who hung with me all of the time in the past were users and leeches.

The only good friends I have are all the way on the other side of the country. Sure, I can say I have some decent friends here, but when they are willing to drop any plans they make with me whenever anything more interesting comes up in their lives, it says a lot about how they think about me.

Suicide has crossed my mind today.

Got out of the school system few years back, and people are starting to be more and more disitant with me. Makes me wonder if I could maintain any relationship if people are not required to stuck with me all the time.

I have maintained friendships with people in Michigan for the last decade.

The only friends I have locally are other 12 steppers, and those people have many issues of their own.

How did it make me feel when the person who was supposedly my closest local friend ditch plans to attend a concert with me after I bought the tickets because his wife wanted to go to the park with him that day instead? It hurt me a lot. But my companionship can't compete with vagina when it comes to straight guys.

I am feeling extremely bitter. I feel like I deserve better treatment than this. Perhaps I am being too entitled and I should accept my place in the world as a nobody.

It's not always easy to figure how to move forward. But you have been doing things that have been positive experiences recently. You certainly seemed to have a brighter mood when you took that trip. :)

I'm sorry that the friends you have locally don't seem to be respecting the plans that they have made with you. Sometimes, it's best to focus on what makes you happy that doesn't depend on their company. Be selfish about it. Go for a meal or a movie like you have in the past. Maybe make it a regular thing on a certain day of the week.

I'm sorry you've been having suicidal thoughts. I understand what that's like. I have them often too, I'm getting them more often now my mood is dwindling. I try to keep myself focused on what gives me hope, though when things feel pretty hopeless it's very challenging.

A lot the suicidal thoughts come from the experience of being controlled and prevented from becoming the person I should have been, and prevented from having agency in my own life. It always felt like I was waiting for my "turn at the wheel".

Maybe it's similar for you?

I have to try and do things that remind me that may have been true in the past, but it's not true now. I suppose, the more life affirming things I can do the better.

We are always here to talk! Never forget that! :)

For starters, I need to get my sleep health under control. I have been bouncing back and forth between extreme hypersomnia and extreme insomnia for the last year. I am having a sleep study done in three weeks from now, which is the earliest the doctor could pencil me in for that. I will look for a better job once I have that situation under control. It is hell on my mental health currently.

I hate to say this, but your OP was actually pretty accurate in parts. I realized long ago that outside of a few family members, nobody cares about me or even acknowledges that I exist. I am more or less invisible to the rest of the world. I eventually realized that suicide would be self-defeating since nobody would care that I was dead except my mom. I decided to simply live as a hermit in a remote area "off grid". The best revenge is living well, however you define it. I define it by living apart from a society that rejects me anyway; if they don't want me around, I'm happy to oblige; that doesn't mean suicide but means living away from them and their judgment. Since you're into metal, break out your Metallica "Black Album" CD and listen to "Wherever I May Roam", and follow it up with "The Nomad" by Iron Maiden from the album Brave New World.

For starters, I need to get my sleep health under control. I have been bouncing back and forth between extreme hypersomnia and extreme insomnia for the last year. I am having a sleep study done in three weeks from now, which is the earliest the doctor could pencil me in for that. I will look for a better job once I have that situation under control. It is hell on my mental health currently.
That makes two of us! I have exactly this problem too, it's mainly medication side effects and pain with some anxiety thrown in, in my case.

You are definitely doing the right thing to take steps to get your sleep under control. It's incredible just how much of a difference a good sleep schedule makes to your mental health.

I think I have about 3 years of sleep debt now.

I really hope that they figure out how to help with your sleep!

Yeah, I have to be my own best friend, my own number one advocate, place my own best interests front and center in my life instead of sacrificing my mental health for the sake of those around me.

As soon as I get my sleep health taken care of, I will start looking for a different job, one more suited to my skill sets.

I know I have been feeling emotionally unstable for a while, especially since I have not been drowning my sorrow in Maker's Mark and IPAs for a long while.

Where do I really want to take my life? A part of me wants the sexual hedonism that a couple of my gay friends are in, another part of me wants a monogamous partner, another part of me wants to focus on getting my physical health tip top and work on doing a lot more writing.

The sleep issues have been tearing me apart a lot more than the loneliness has, I now realize.

I am tired of putting up a front that things are well with something like this is going on all the time. No, this is not OK. This is miserable. This is no way for a human to live. True, other people have much worse health issues than this, but some people have been pointing that out as a way to dismiss how miserable I have been feeling over my lack of sleep for two weeks followed with two days of hypersomnia. This can legitimately drive a saint into the depths of madness. Hell, I deserve a medal for not using bourbon as a sedative here.

I gotta ask something, I appreciate this might be a stupid question, but I dont always quite grasp everything about things like this.

How can you be 100% sure that you are disposable to them? Did they tell you such?

The reason I ask is, well, how do I put this...

Lets say that you and I lived in the same area and really got to know each other as friends IRL. I'm the sort of person that doesnt just connect to someone, but outright attaches to them. Anyone I get close to becomes extremely important to me... period.

However, that does not whatsoever change my erratic nature. I absolutely do cancel plans just at random sometimes. Even with close friends or family. It has nothing to do with them at all, and I always hope that they dont perceive it as such, but I'm very driven by emotion and instinct, and I cant avoid being controlled by that. When my mood shifts too much or my anxiety rises too much... plans get canceled. There's no way for me to avoid doing that. Fortunately everyone arounds me knows this and I've explained the reason to them, but still, that doesnt change the fact that it happens. Again though, it doesnt mean I value them any less. But it's just the way I am.

I'm saying this because no matter where you go, or who you connect with, there's a chance you're going to end up in a situation like this not necessarily because you're seen as "disposable" to someone, but instead perhaps because they themselves are simply too erratic, or perhaps get really bad social anxiety, or just plain arent good at planning things.

I'm not saying that this is what happened in this specific case. But it is something to be aware of, so that you dont run into someone like that, and end up thinking they dont care about you when in fact they actually do.

One way or another though, even not considering that, yes, you need to put your own health first. You aint gonna get anywhere with anything if you're constantly being thrown around by health problems such as insomnia and such.

But at the same time, you cant give in to despair even during that. Depression takes any negative symptoms you may be experiencing, and escalates them. How can you beat your insomnia or whatever when that is happening? So you gotta fight back against it.

That's just my thoughts though.

Out of curiosity, what kind of sleep issues are you talking about here? I know insomnia can take many forms, as I found out the hard way, and I dont really know what "hypersomnia" means.

And for what it's worth, I do sympathize. I've been through terrible sleep problems before to the point where I have a full-fledged phobia about it despite that I sleep like the dead every day now.

It aint anything to take lightly, that's for sure, and anyone who thinks otherwise has clearly never gone through it.

I hope your sleep study gives you the info you need to push back against it.

@Metalhead, I've sort have went through this process already. You appear to be on the right track in your thinking, but perhaps your interpretation of others may be off a bit.

Similar to you, I have this value system that (1) I need to be needed and respected. So for me, I have put in the work to be a resource, mentor, an educator. I am the guy people call up when they have questions and problems. It works the same way with my family. (2) I have found that I cannot depend upon others, so I will often just do things myself. (3) Friendship is a two-way street and although I can sit here and explain how to be a friend, putting those words into action is nearly impossible for me. Call it an "autism thing" or my nature, but have never been able to reciprocate to the extent needed to create or maintain a friendship. The only exception is my wife. It's all the mental energy I have, for one person only. (4) When you don't have friends, then people become acquaintances, which is fine, because you can still exchange friendly thoughts and have friendly interactions, but you don't have to put in the mental energy, thoughtfulness, time, and emotional energy of an actual friendship. I tend to not get close to people, in part, because I hate the thought and pain of loosing someone eventually. In part, because, I honestly think I have the autism-related, low oxytocin and vasopressin, the "love hormones" that make me want to seek out others. In part, I am very low in reciprocating behaviors, part of that "autism thing". So, this has become part of my "anti-social" behavior. I don't want to become "bonded" to anyone. Again, the wife being the exception.

So, you may be correct that your boss wants to get as much work out of you as possible. That's literally why she hired you. I know my boss looks forward to and encourages me to work as many hours as possible, as well. It makes perfect business sense. Introducing our "mental health issues" is often not dealt with in an appropriate way from a human perspective, as what they may see is someone who needs time away from work, which, in turn, slows down business. Slowing down business, making the others pick up the load, impacting customer satisfaction, etc. is not what a boss, nor your co-workers want to deal with. If someone calls in "sick" and doesn't show up, it impacts everyone on the team negatively. So do understand that perspective.

You may also be correct that others around you "don't care" about your issues. If they are co-workers, acquaintances, they probably don't. It's all about them and how your performance, or lack of it, affects their lives, not yours.

Just because, if you died, they wouldn't care, does not mean that it's OK to just commit suicide. Why would you give others that sort of power over you? Flipped another way, why are they that important to you that this would even enter your thoughts? You already know they don't care, so why should you? Even if you had a "close call" with an attempted suicide, this always backfires because all you get is a trip to the mental hospital, you get fired, and your co-workers just gossip. You don't receive attention and sympathy, you get people wanting to avoid you.

So, I tend to go back to the aptly named term for "autism", Greek for "auto" or "self". I don't get concerned about people. I don't let them hold me back. If I get told "no", I just find ways to circumvent them and move forward, anyways. For the most part, don't care what they think of me personally, as long as I am respected. I think, this is more the heart of the issue. Respect. The most important part of that is respecting yourself. Having others respect you, you sort of have to tap into other's needs and expectations of you, and that requires a bit of work on your end.

@Metalhead
That was so painful to read because it's the same message your bad family pounded in your head, you accept this has your core truth. I broke free of that because l moved out early from my family. When you hit this realization that you are in charge of you, and nobody else matters. You can't find happiness with somebody else. Your boss is just a boss, she isn't anything more. If you are unhappy, then apply elsewhere for a job. I hope you are feeling better today. Please don't do anything drastic, don't harm yourself. Maybe talk more about how you are feeling? I went thru these feelings after my divorce, that feeling of not mattering, it took me a good year to get thru it.

I have maintained friendships with people in Michigan for the last decade.

The only friends I have locally are other 12 steppers, and those people have many issues of their own.

How did it make me feel when the person who was supposedly my closest local friend ditch plans to attend a concert with me after I bought the tickets because his wife wanted to go to the park with him that day instead? It hurt me a lot. But my companionship can't compete with vagina when it comes to straight guys.

I am feeling extremely bitter. I feel like I deserve better treatment than this. Perhaps I am being too entitled and I should accept my place in the world as a nobody.
Yes, you do deserve better treatment. I have always thought that part of being an adult is meeting comitments you make. Sure, many times marriage takes precedence, but I check with my spouse first so nothing interferes with my commitments.

You have made some great progress and should feel good about yourself having such inner drive.

Guess just don't make plans with this person because he is wishy washy and doesn't honor friendship commitments. It's not you personally, it's something that happened, and you were feeling vulnerable and perhaps took it more then you should? Can you get his ticket and give it to someone else?

And I am fully aware that I would be feeling a lot more stable and a lot happier in life if my sleep issues were under control. If I did not have severe sleep apnea, I would be more content in my life. My boss does not care about how this is affecting my mental health - she just cares about the production numbers at the end of the day. My sponsor responds to this with "stop feeling sorry for yourself", which is extremely dismissive. And the doctors? They are overbooked to the point where I have to wait months just to get all of this checked out. I feel as if I am falling through the cracks.

What could people say or do that would make you feel valued? How would you know the difference?
How do you make sure those people know how much you value them? Or maybe you're not valuing them that highly either, since you assume you're disposable to them?

If I did not have severe sleep apnea, I would be more content in my life.
Are you using a CPAP? I have moderate apnea and still have a hard time accommodating to the mask at times.

Hope you are enjoy getting out. My right leg is still recovering from surgery, but I did a 10 mile bike ride today and did well. I enjoyed helping a friend adjust his derailleur giving him tips to make the maintenance easier. I enjoy helping especially showing how to do simple maintenance to get good performance.

What could people say or do that would make you feel valued? How would you know the difference?
How do you make sure those people know how much you value them? Or maybe you're not valuing them that highly either, since you assume you're disposable to them?
Yeah, naturally, it is all my fault. You would get along with my mother.

New Threads

Top Bottom