• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A random technology idea for home entertainment equipment.

RubenX

I should be sleeping but I'm having insomnia again so I might as well write something. This is an idea I toyed with, some years ago. I was setting up a TV set in the living room and I was annoyed at all the cables and all the different boxes that I had to connect. There was the TV, with an analog tuner that I would never use because we had already switch to digital. Then there was a digital converter box (for antenna reception), a cable tv box, an xbox and a dvd player. So I sat down for days thinking on a better way to do this.

One thing that came to mind was the computer's 5.25 drive bay. For those who don't know, is where the cd drive is at. But this computers started having this bay spaces long before the cd drives were invented. In the beginning, actual hard drives were placed there. Then floppies were made to the same dimensions so they could use existing bays. Then came CDs, then DVDs, then BlueRays. Now we have dozens and dozens of gizmos that are made to fit in the same old 5.25 bay that was initially intended for hard drives.

I then started thinking that we could do something similar for TV screens. Make TV screens with 5.25 bays on the sides and make peripherals/modules for these bays. Gaming Consoles, Cable TV Boxes, DVD Players, Satellite Receivers... make them all in this new 5.25 standard and insert them right into the TV. The TV itself would be just a display, much like computer monitors are. You could bundle a simple antenna receiver with the purchase of a new TV, but everything else should be a module that inserts into the TV.

Benefits of such a standard:

- No cables to deal with, just insert the module and go.
- Modules can use power from the TV.
- Would use less space
- Look cleaner/neater
- TV itself could be upgrade-able (processor module)
- Need more power? add a power module
- Ran out of HDMI ports, add an HDMI Connections module

In my humble opinion, this is the way it should have been from the very beginning. And this are the random things I think about when I try to sleep.

Rube out o/

The idea is good... but... it works in an ideal world only I guess.

Just take a look at ongoing debates we had with HD-DVD and Blu-ray, VHS vs. Betamax and the plethora of compatibility issues on computer hardware. As long as there is financial gain to be had from this companies will push through new standards, so you have to buy a new "basic" frame over and over and probably won't fit in with the old hardware.

And what about people who want to have more devices useable? I'm talking from experience when looking at my dad's set-up. Granted, it makes NO sense, but since he asks me to wire and hook up all machines I know about his deal. He has a dvd recorder, hard disc recorder, satellite dish and a seperate decoder (on top of the one built in the HD recorder for HD reception on regular tv). Does he need it all? Probably not, but he's a couch potato, and as such watches over 16 hours a day.

He's already short for Scart and HDMI ports as such, and having a modular device as what you described would look like a giant rackmount much like the ones in server rooms, lol. Perhaps a start would be to enforce standards first before we can make single modules, and only those adhering to a standard.

I actually like the cable clutter everywhere, but then again... I spent some time in studios, and I enjoy analogue synthesizers... both things which involve a lot of cables... the trick with those situations is to label them or use colored ones.

The idea is good... but... it works in an ideal world only I guess.

Just take a look at ongoing debates we had with HD-DVD and Blu-ray, VHS vs. Betamax and the plethora of compatibility issues on computer hardware. As long as there is financial gain to be had from this companies will push through new standards, so you have to buy a new "basic" frame over and over and probably won't fit in with the old hardware.

And what about people who want to have more devices useable? I'm talking from experience when looking at my dad's set-up. Granted, it makes NO sense, but since he asks me to wire and hook up all machines I know about his deal. He has a dvd recorder, hard disc recorder, satellite dish and a seperate decoder (on top of the one built in the HD recorder for HD reception on regular tv). Does he need it all? Probably not, but he's a couch potato, and as such watches over 16 hours a day.

He's already short for Scart and HDMI ports as such, and having a modular device as what you described would look like a giant rackmount much like the ones in server rooms, lol. Perhaps a start would be to enforce standards first before we can make single modules, and only those adhering to a standard.

I actually like the cable clutter everywhere, but then again... I spent some time in studios, and I enjoy analogue synthesizers... both things which involve a lot of cables... the trick with those situations is to label them or use colored ones.

I too am a veteran of messy music studios.... and here's my take...

A great idea, but the point of economics does come into play. As longs as we are in a consumer society where waste doesnt matter, then these boxes and wires will be produced....

But, take apple as an example of minimalist design with longer shelf life. I will admit I am a big fan. They tend to bring out better products, better designed, better looking, and with a bigger price tag....

They flew against the perceptions, and now look at them! :)

I see the problem as being the screen... unless that too was modular. replace it after ten years with a better resolution etc? Then you come across the problem of data transmission. think about the rapid progress of data ports. A modular system would have to be able to replace the connectors, as well as the components!

But, I think progress is slowing down now (nope, I know about moores law!). I mean, the advances don't really bring about that much more benefit! HDTV is good, but I don't watch it as I'm happy with normal res. what will be better than HDTV? who cares! I do care about Internet speeds, and that will advance for a long while yet, but screen res is ok at HDTV standards for the long forseeable future (3d tv is a gimmick).

So, a modular system would have to be created using the best available components, based on a long shelf life. Internet access could be modular to keep it increasing in speed. Storage is no longer am issue with SaTa and SSD, memory is a joke (64gb is MORE than enough!).

It's the standard modular connections that will have to be fixed, and agreed upon by major manufacturers of Xbox, ps etc.

But, what about computers? hy not have a modular box that plugs into your tv!?

and that brings us onto "the next big thing". I'm sure apple and Microsoft are looking at making their computers the hub of the home entertainment arena.

already, I can watch movies on my tv streamed from my iPad via Internet.

I could play games too.

don't need wires, apart from plugging the apple tv box into the tv.

So..... here's the fun bit! Already, it is arguably cheaper (or not that much more expensive) for me to buy a giant sized quad core iMac, and make it my tv. my iPad connects automatically wirelessly.

internet is wireless, as are my keyboard, trackpad, mouse....

so.... have apple already started this trend?? They haven't come up with a plugin for games consoles because it's all about economics. and, I can get games from the apple app store directly from my machines. no need to plug anything else in!

apples new connector thunderbolt is an all in one wire. so, less wires..

Just thinking out loud on this post. I agree it's a good idea, but I think it's been superseded by apple, which means others will be copying them as well no doubt....

:)

But I totally agree that it would be nice if everything just plugged together without wires!! Ive still got my Atari 2600, with game cartridges. so much better than cd roms! ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom