• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A question about ratings and contextual meaning (heart and checkmark)

the_tortoise

V.I.P Member
I just wanted to be certain that my understanding and use of these is correct .....so, have I got this right?

The green checkmark (captioned "agree"), depending on context, means either:
"I agree with some/all of what you have said in this post"
(or)
"Me too"

The heart (captioned "friendly"), depending on context, means either:
"I see your post as friendly or full of friendliness/empathy/sympathy/compassion/kindness/[other relevent good-to-others-things]"
(or)
"I offer you friendliness/empathy/sympathy/compassion/kindness/[other relevent good-to-others-things]"

I would say you're correct. I don't tend to use the friendly one much, because I don't want to use it in the wrong context :p I usually 'like' or 'agree' (if I have cause to agree).

I would agree, (your understanding is the same as mine)

I check mine afterwards, sometimes when using a touch screen device my fingers don't always touch the screen in the correct place giving a rating I didn't intend but there is an 'undo rating' option if it ever happens for you :)

That's a relief -- thank you all :)

Tthe heart one I was pretty confident about, but the green checkmark gives me trouble, which made me more doubtful about how I was using it. (If a post has both experience and opinion/suggestions/ideas in it then I don't know which of the green checkmark meanings is intended or if all of them are.)

Eh, I just rate everything funny. Relative died, funny. Break up, funny. All horrible events under the sun, funny... Wait a second! Am I a sadist?! :D

That's a relief -- thank you all :)

Tthe heart one I was pretty confident about, but the green checkmark gives me trouble, which made me more doubtful about how I was using it. (If a post has both experience and opinion/suggestions/ideas in it then I don't know which of the green checkmark meanings is intended or if all of them are.)

I'll use the green tick/checkmark if I agree with a point made, an opinion, an experience or a majority of what's written.

I'll use the green tick/checkmark if I agree with a point made, an opinion, an experience or a majority of what's written.

Me too, but I still get confused about which is being indicated by others (and never really know how they will interpret mine if the context of their post makes it unclear).

I would be happy if XenForo added a "me too" button to the software.

Me too, but I still get confused about which is being indicated by others (and never really know how they will interpret mine if the context of their post makes it unclear).

I would be happy if XenForo added a "me too" button to the software.

Yeah or a +1 button.

Maybe it's only Aspies that get so worried about this.

I sometimes click the wrong feedback - "OH MY GOD - NOOOO!! better change that within 3 seconds so no one gets the wrong idea!"

I've sometimes missed my aim and pressed the funny icon when the post seemed anything but.
In my haste to change it before someone reads it I've pressed almost everything but the rating I actually want to use.
I know I'd feel awful if I upset someone with an inappropriate rating.

which parts of a post are being agreed with by other site users?

or did you mean something else?

I do sometimes wonder about which parts are being agreed with but I meant something else.

I meant when a post contains both experience and stuff to agree or disagree with....does the green checkmark mean "I agree with at least some of your ideas/opinions" or does it mean "I have a similar experience to yours" -- or both at once? Because I might have very similar experience to someone, but then strongly disagree with the opinions or ideas that they posted alongside their experience.

Yeah or a +1 button.

Maybe it's only Aspies that get so worried about this.

I sometimes click the wrong feedback - "OH MY GOD - NOOOO!! better change that within 3 seconds so no one gets the wrong idea!"

I've sometimes missed my aim and pressed the funny icon when the post seemed anything but.
In my haste to change it before someone reads it I've pressed almost everything but the rating I actually want to use.
I know I'd feel awful if I upset someone with an inappropriate rating.

I don't think I've accidentally pressed the wrong one yet (I seriously hope not) so that's not a big worry for me but sometimes I get wigged out worrying that somehow the ratings karma I give/don't give will end up making someone feel excluded or cause some other kind of hurt or offense via misunderstanding.

I wasn't even aware of the system until I came back to the forums and started posting regularly, and I think a few people here aren't aware of it either. When I upvote a post, it's always based on context...only exception being, I tend to use 'winner' for posts that I strongly agree with.

I say don't worry too much about it. Some posters like to hand them out like candy just because, I say there's nothing wrong with a little camaraderie in this forum...some give it only where it's due, and that's fine too.

I'm wondering what points are assigned to each rating and if each has a different amount of points. For example is a winner check mark worth more than a heart, etc. Also unclear about the whole following thing since even if you are following someone, you don't get notified when they post. And what's the karma all about? Can anyone clarify these things?

I think karma is from people rating your posts.

Points seems to be from all sorts of things but I'm not clear on how it works.

Not sure why following doesn't work -- I think it's just supposed to give you alerts for when people post, but maybe it is glitchy?

I'm wondering what points are assigned to each rating and if each has a different amount of points. For example is a winner check mark worth more than a heart, etc. Also unclear about the whole following thing since even if you are following someone, you don't get notified when they post. And what's the karma all about? Can anyone clarify these things?
i get a little Picture of the members avatar Who I follow beside the members online I don't know about Windows or android I'm using I OS that is Apple

I'm sometimes not sure what to put, and can't decide between two different karma ratings. I'm not sure what the difference between 'useful' and 'informative' is - I assume that the 'useful' is for helpful? For me, informative posts are also helpful, they seem similar.

The funny rating is tricky. I worry about using it unless it is really obvious that the person is intending to be funny. I think that it might be upsetting/triggering if I give 'funny' karma to a post that wasn't intended to be funny, that will probably lead to misunderstandings and potentially upset someone. I use it with extreme caution.

New Threads

Top Bottom