• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A new job (again)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Some of you have followed my journey over the past 15 months, including one aborted job that lasted four days...

I got another job today, as the receiver for a local camera shop, as in taking care of all the product that comes in, they don't want me doing sales! :rolleyes: I am rather heavily into photography, although was told in the interview that being a photographer isn't a requirement for this job...

Apparently most of the day is spent in a basement below the store, and a conveyor belt takes product from the trucks into the basement, sound exciting? :D

I think my last four day job made me feel like something was wrong with me, although I may not have realized it... In the last two weeks I have been doing some temporary warehouse work just to get into work rythm, and been getting positive comments about my work ethic (I think I needed that!)... This job showed up as a blog post on the website of the store, which my friend noticed, I didn't see it...

I have a hunch I can make the job work, but won't take anything for granted, the store does have lots of longtime employees, the person I'm replacing did that job for seven years and is just simply moving on to other things... Another person who does shipping has been there for 20 years

Anyway I'm on cloud nine right now!

This sounds interesting, alrighty, papa got a brand new guitar (or in your case-camera). From some song long ago.

I did also spend $1,400 on a new lens Friday, the same day as the job interview... I didn't even buy the lens from the store I'll be working for (because they didn't have it in stock), so purchased it from another store... Still got the job :p

In my last job, didn't want to work in the sun anymore with the greedy gremlin waitstaff that controlled everything. So l left with a fantastic reference. Also wouldn't date the married men, so l was kaput. That seem to be a requirement.

Now l realized that what's out there doesn't pay well and isn't worth applying for. Think the pandemic has me evaluating my health and thinking l should sleep, eat healthy and see what happens next,but l sorta retired. We had 22 Covid cases reported today in my county. Still surprised how many people contracted it at the club l worked at.

Anyways- congrats again.

Sounds like it could be a keeper. I always have a long up and down time leading in to a job, trying to understand it, and usually it's the cultures that have built up that are surprisingly solid, that I either miss entirely or underestimate the strength of. Usually I over perform at first and attempt to get others to do so, whilst also not concentrating enough on going with the flow and developing skills that are valued there.

But after a few months and because I don't usually offend anyone too much, and amuse people a bit with my quirky humour, I get somewhat accepted. Hope you enjoy it here and get the hang of how they do things.

Thanks all...

Unfortunately I'm not even close to retirement

And I have always had an ability to work on my own doing boring, repetitive tasks, I believe some classic hallmarks of Asperger's :)

Thanks all...

Unfortunately I'm not even close to retirement

And I have always had an ability to work on my own doing boring, repetitive tasks, I believe some classic hallmarks of Asperger's :)
I like that too. I once went to a job interview where they asked about doing repetitive tasks, and I said I actually enjoy that, I find it soothing. I didn't get the job, but that's neither here nor there.

Congrats. Wishing you the best.

(I might also suggest direct deposit for your paycheck and leave your credit and debit cards at home when you go to work. ;) )

New Threads

Top Bottom