• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A mum of an autistic child has explained why she HAD to tell her daughter ‘the truth’ about Santa...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Blogger Miriam Gwynne is mum to autistic twins, but it is her daughter who was severely struggling with many elements of Christmas such as how Santa accesses the house, grottoes and sitting on a stranger's lap.

TELLING children that Father Christmas isn’t real can prove to be a difficult situation for parents, but one mum couldn’t wait to tell her daughter the truth.

Miriam Gwynne explained why she felt she had no other option but to be brutally honest with Naomi, 8, after she became incredibly anxious about Father Christmas and how he manages to visit every house in the world, get inside even without chimneys, and can be at a multitude of shopping centre grottoes and the North Pole at once.

The Scottish blogger said: “The very thought that a stranger would enter her house while she was asleep utterly horrified her.

“Telling my young daughter there is no such person as Santa has been the most magical thing I could have done for her.

“All of a sudden everything now makes sense to her. She can now reason in her mind how ‘Santa’ can be in the shopping centre, the local school and somehow in the North Pole at the same time.

“She realised that the chimney stuff is all a story and there is no need to fear a stranger coming in her house while she is asleep.

“She understands why children suddenly want to sit on someone’s knee and tell them what they want for Christmas because the man in red is actually not a stranger to them at all.”

Miriam, explains on her blog Faith Mummy that her daughter and her twin brother – who is severely autistic and cannot speak or read – were born after a gruelling IVF process, struggled to see her child so anxious about what should be a joyous and happy time.

She added: “The very mention of Santa was not exciting my child or making her suddenly want to be on the ‘nice list’, it was in fact causing her to stay awake at night worrying and making her jump every time the door bell rung.

“I could not continue to see her so nervous and anxious over something that was meant to be a joyous and wonderful occasion.”

She added that her daughter was also confused about how Father Christmas could get in to houses without a chimney, despite carols claiming that was his way in and out of places.

Miriam also claimed that seeing people sitting on Father Christmas’ knee was a horrifying sight for her daughter.

She said: “Having spent years trying to get her to understand basic social rules such as we don’t talk to strangers and we certainly never sit on other people’s knees all of a sudden she watched in horror as every other child she knew broke all of these social rules just because the ‘stranger’ was dressed in a red suit.

“Her autism makes breaking any sort of rule horrifying and very distressing so Santa became linked with people doing very strange and confusing things indeed.”

Miriam concluded that she should have been honest with her sooner.

She said: “I actually wish I had told her there is no such person as Santa earlier. Now she knows Santa is all made up she is happier and more excited about Christmas than she has ever been before.

“She knows she is getting presents, she knows who buys them and she knows how we get them.

“For some children with autism the magic of Christmas is actually in finally finding out Santa is not real at all.”

Source: A mum explains why she had to tell her autistic daughter 'the truth' about Santa

ahahaha, not what I was expecting at all! Sounds like the mom did a good thing.

And I wish I had taken the lessons explained in that video. My parents just told me I'd stop getting presents from Santa if I stopped believe in him, so I had them convinced I believed in Santa til I was 14. So really, the Santa lie just sort of backfired and just made me a better sociopath. Whoops.

Why the whole Santa story for any child? I have never figured out the point.
The Festival of Saint Nicolas I think is to teach children to be obedient but if you've read the details most mothers and fathers wouldn't want there children to know , The factual story about Saint Nicolas gives hope to people in general because he was a Bishop in Turkey he was responsible for his area, I will never understand why he is solely associated with children but that's people perverting the factual story .
He never climbed down chimneys, there are no facts associated with reindeer ,that again is a perversion of the fact that Reindeer eat a mushroom Which makes them high and they jump.
He was doing what he was given the strength to do -preventing two girls from becoming prostitutes .
I don't understand why he's a saint it's just a term for anyone who is saved by Yeshua (Jesus) .

This could be an interesting study of how the different holiday and fantasy stories began.
They all have their root somewhere in history.

My parents never seemed to have a reason for the stories of believe in Santa, The Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, except, I believe they were just following a tradition handed down to them by their parents.
I think they thought it would make me happy.
Especially being an only child, to maybe have an imaginery magical person to look up to as someone good.

Presents brought by a happy old soul that could be everywhere at the same time on Christmas Eve.
Never was told I had to be good child to receive a gift.

A sprite like fairy that would give me money in the night in exchange for losing a baby tooth placed under my pillow.

A rabbit hopping down the bunny lane with a basket bringing chocolate eggs.
It all seemed to add some mystery and fun to life.

Santa had a special meaning to me as I remember being in a mall where "Santa" was on his throne and people taking pictures of the kids on his lap when I was still too young to walk.
I saw the gathering and started squirming in my Dad's arms to go to "Santa." It all seemed special.
They took me close to his throne that had stairs covered with red carpet edged in gold. The feeling was magical,
majestic. I was too young to know the concept behind all this, but, I wanted to go to this royal old man.
Santa motioned for my parents to bring me to him.
I started reaching and pushing to be put down.
They put me at the bottom of the stairway and I crawled
up each step to the man in red as people took photos and women squealed and urged me on.
Finally I reached the feet of Santa, he picked me up, held me for all to photograph.
Good memories.
Maybe this was the Christmas Spirit to me as a baby.

I must say I find this far more heartwarming than these other stories doing the rounds about "autism-friendly" Christmas grottos, intended to keep autistic children believing in the myth way into adolescence if not further. As I've said earlier, for whose benefit is this really?

There also appears to be a contradiction between autism-friendly Christmas grottos (quiet) and so-called autism-friendly cinema screenings (noisy). Go figure...

She I found out Santa isn't real, I think I just didn't really care. I mean, why would I care? I can get material possessions I wanted from family, AND I was free from school. That was good enough for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom