• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A matter of honour and respect (and classic cars)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Alberta is starting to open up a little from Covid, and there are a number of classic car gatherings starting to happen, some officially, most unofficially (as there are gov't crowd guidelines still in place)

There is an A&W restaurant that in the past hosted a weekly cruise night, last summer nothing "officially" happened (obviously) but unofficially crowds became quite large, he has gone onto social media asking people not to come, particularly after one rather large crowd... That weekend I had a Facebook chat with a friend, about a matter of honour, in other words not going, even on that gorgeous summer evening with warm weather...

And after that conversation with a friend, I am striving to honour that wish by the A&W owner, but it's almost killing me :confused: Since that conversation I have been going later in the evening at a point when I know most people have left (no major crowding), but I'm also seeing photos people have taken when they were there earlier in the evening when it was crowded, in other words seeing what I missed out on because I am trying to have honour, am I the only one trying to have that honour? o_O

The owner of the A&W is hoping to start hosting meets again in July, as hopefully restrictions lift, as there is hardly any official classic car action happening right now, but I'm just getting very impatient with that wait, because I am trying to have some honour, I almost feel like the only one trying to bother, feeling alone in this...

But I do believe in a life of honour, as much as possible and doing that right thing even when it's extremely difficult, and I feel like I'm the only one doing it...

And, yes, I've taken hardly any classic car photos this year so far because of restrictions, and the matter above, but here is one photo taken at about 8:30 PM at the cruise night, when there are hardly any cars to photograph, a 1976 Ford Gran Torino... And I've noticed how many American car events are happening, not in Canada... That's another matter...
A&W Cruise 16.jpg

Last edited:
At the ham radio swap meet at the Carmichael Elks Lodge on May 30, virtually NOBODY was wearing a mask. I was one of the only people with a mask on. Yes, mask restrictions have been loosening ahead of the promised June 15 ending of most restrictions, but we're talking mostly elderly men here (and their suffering wives-I WANT THAT PILE OF COLLINS JUNK GONE NOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!) with a handful of Xers wandering around. IOW, the people who really SHOULD wear a mask, but also the people LEAST likely to do so, since talk radio and Newsmax TV tells them it's tyranny.

So yeah, lots of really old people wandering around in order to pounce when a new table is set up (at a ham swap, you get there an hour before the official opening, then wander around as sellers gradually arrive and stack radios on their tables, then immediately pounce if you want something), and virtually zero of them (buyers AND sellers!) wearing masks. Keep in mind that we're talking stuff with several decades worth of dust on it. People handling Collins A-Line rigs that haven't been dusted since the Summer of Love without hand sanitizer at the ready. It's a recipe to get sick, and yes people are still getting sick.

My main find was a late 1970s Yaesu FRG-7000 receiver. Fortunately it had been dusted. One seller had tables piled high with those old Hallicrafters radios nobody wants. It's a petri dish of germs. Most of the conventions have been cancelled since at least the ARRL realizes that having a bunch of 80 year old guys packed into a hotel ballroom is not worth the talk they'll hear. The few private swaps operating are full of guys who think covid is a hoax. Oh well, I feel fine, and I'm enjoying my radio.

Sorry to hijack your thread @Sherlock77, but I see the same lack of integrity here.

At the ham radio swap meet at the Carmichael Elks Lodge on May 30, virtually NOBODY was wearing a mask. I was one of the only people with a mask on. Yes, mask restrictions have been loosening ahead of the promised June 15 ending of most restrictions, but we're talking mostly elderly men here (and their suffering wives-I WANT THAT PILE OF COLLINS JUNK GONE NOWNOWNOW!!!!!!!!) with a handful of Xers wandering around. IOW, the people who really SHOULD wear a mask, but also the people LEAST likely to do so, since talk radio and Newsmax TV tells them it's tyranny.

So yeah, lots of really old people wandering around in order to pounce when a new table is set up (at a ham swap, you get there an hour before the official opening, then wander around as sellers gradually arrive and stack radios on their tables, then immediately pounce if you want something), and virtually zero of them (buyers AND sellers!) wearing masks. Keep in mind that we're talking stuff with several decades worth of dust on it. People handling Collins A-Line rigs that haven't been dusted since the Summer of Love without hand sanitizer at the ready. It's a recipe to get sick, and yes people are still getting sick.

My main find was a late 1970s Yaesu FRG-7000 receiver. Fortunately it had been dusted. One seller had tables piled high with those old Hallicrafters radios nobody wants. It's a petri dish of germs. Most of the conventions have been cancelled since at least the ARRL realizes that having a bunch of 80 year old guys packed into a hotel ballroom is not worth the talk they'll hear. The few private swaps operating are full of guys who think covid is a hoax. Oh well, I feel fine, and I'm enjoying my radio.

Sorry to hijack your thread @Sherlock77, but I see the same lack of integrity here.

No worries :) but I think perhaps a similar experience...

And funny you should say, there is an outside automotive swap meet this weekend (approved by our health authority), I will assume with some rules, the swap meet is two hour drive away and one I have been to before, and have enjoyed

Alberta is starting to open up a little from Covid, and there are a number of classic car gatherings starting to happen, some officially, most unofficially (as there are gov't crowd guidelines still in place)

There is an A&W restaurant that in the past hosted a weekly cruise night, last summer nothing "officially" happened (obviously) but unofficially crowds became quite large, he has gone onto social media asking people not to come, particularly after one rather large crowd... That weekend I had a Facebook chat with a friend, about a matter of honour, in other words not going, even on that gorgeous summer evening with warm weather...

And after that conversation with a friend, I am striving to honour that wish by the A&W owner, but it's almost killing me :confused: Since that conversation I have been going later in the evening at a point when I know most people have left (no major crowding), but I'm also seeing photos people have taken when they were there earlier in the evening when it was crowded, in other words seeing what I missed out on because I am trying to have honour, am I the only one trying to have that honour? o_O

The owner of the A&W is hoping to start hosting meets again in July, as hopefully restrictions lift, as there is hardly any official classic car action happening right now, but I'm just getting very impatient with that wait, because I am trying to have some honour, I almost feel like the only one trying to bother, feeling alone in this...

But I do believe in a life of honour, as much as possible and doing that right thing even when it's extremely difficult, and I feel like I'm the only one doing it...

And, yes, I've taken hardly any classic car photos this year so far because of restrictions, and the matter above, but here is one photo taken at about 8:30 PM at the cruise night, when there are hardly any cars to photograph, a 1976 Ford Gran Torino... And I've noticed how many American car events are happening, not in Canada... That's another matter...
View attachment 68255

I want that car, beautiful, l can just imagine how sleek it looks inside with the upholstery and futuristic dashboard.

On another note, your beautiful pics got me thru a dark time when l couldn't go out. And now we are full circle, you are anxious to get out, but don't forget you made it thru the dark times and soon you will be out every weekend.

Last edited:
We held our Steam Gas and Horse Association show several weeks ago.
Out of the estimated 2500 or so attendees, many of them elderly, I only saw 8 young people wearing masks.

It's time for all of us to move forward from this.

If you want to wear a mask because it comforts you, do it.
If you fear covid-19, get vaccinated if that makes you feel safe.
If it scares you enough, stay home.
Do what each of you need to do.

I already decided what I was going to do.
It was to live as I have always lived and believe that no matter what any of us does, none of us really have a final say in when we take our last breath.

There are a whole bunch of us that can see the collateral damage that the Wuhan virus brought on, beyond the pain and suffering of those who succumbed to the ravages of it.
When is it ever going to end?
Yeah, right, I get it, just like the common cold, yet another unknown...

Peace out, stay safe and do what feels right for you :cool:

older.jpg

You looking to get pictures of the eclipse? Word is the northern most hemisphere will get the best views.

View attachment 68255
I remember dismantling an uber quick '70 Torino with the 429 SCJ option C-6 trans and a drag pack third member years ago.
It was a rustbucket, but we did get to take it on it's last cruise. It was super fun to drive :D

but I'm just getting very impatient with that wait, because I am trying to have some honour, I almost feel like the only one trying to bother, feeling alone in this...

You're not alone.
I am also getting very impatient with the wait for my own reasons.
imo, you are taking the honourable path, and it certainly is difficult when you see people that don't seem to care about who their actions may harm. People are selfish. But this will end, and reasonably soon for North America at least.
We are fortunate we live where we do.

You're not alone.
imo, you are taking the honourable path, and it certainly is difficult when you see people that don't seem to care about who their actions may harm. People are selfish. But this will end, and reasonably soon for North America at least.

And it's so hard... I do know it's only a few weeks until July, but yet it seems so far away...

On another note, your beautiful pics got me thru a dark time when l couldn't go out. And now we are full circle, you are anxious to get out, but don't forget you made it thru the dark times and soon you will be out every weekend.

Thank you for the kind words, I sometimes get stuck in my own head, an Autistic thing probably... I'm glad I have been of help, even when I didn't fully know it...

You're not alone.

I also think that some people are so tied into the hobby, and the social aspect, that they just don't think, whereas I have thought this through, my reasons... One good friend of mine was there last week, and he was there when it was busy, I arrived at 8 PM when there might have been ten cars... He has in the past while, shown support for the A&W owner (for people not to come) then turned around and showed up anyway... He is still a friend, but in my mind is showing a lack of judgment, but I don't think he can see it...

We have missed the car shows here, too.
There are certain ones we attend every year and a Quaker, Steak and Lube cruise in on Thursday evenings.

It is already very hot in Florida and most of the big shows are early in the year, so now this makes
two years of missing them.
I enjoy taking photos at the shows also. No professional by any means, but, it's fun.
The mask mandates have been lifted here.
So maybe in the fall there will be more shows and it will be better then.

Here's a classic...
Chestnutcarshow17 003.JPG

For every one honorable person in America, there are 20 people that don't give a rat's azz and probably would be hard pressed to even spell honorable. Is it a sign of the times or the school system or all of the above?

I actually had a Plymouth Valiant in first year of college that was a tank and perfectly safe.

View attachment 68255

You did the right thing for the right reasons.

Honor and respect seem to be a rare thing as of late. We need more of it.

I have said in many posts that one of my biggest difficulties is understanding others decision-making drives. All I can sort out is that most of society's decision-making is emotional in nature,...not logical. This pandemic response and politics in the US has certainly proven that. How all this played out above, doesn't surprise me a bit.

I like the way you see the decision to honor the voluntary pandemic restrictions. Honor is when you do the right thing and instead of finding excuses to do the wrong thing. I'm sure there is a long list of excuses people used that resulted in the pandemic lasting way too long.
  • The rules don't apply to me, I don't have the virus.
  • I know my (silly, don't apply here) rights.
  • This is just a slippery slope towards a tyrannical world government.
  • It could actually be a plandemic. Censorship just proves the point.
  • I'll use my own judgement because the experts are just being overcautious.
  • etc.

Last edited:
but here is one photo taken at about 8:30 PM at the cruise night, when there are hardly any cars to photograph, a 1976 Ford Gran Torino.
Nice. Some nice Detroit Iron. Putting myself through school working at Chrysler Lynch Road Assembly. Sometimes I would be picked to run documents to other facilities and would get a pool car. I'd wait until the execs pulled their cars, usually luxury models, and of the cars left, I'd sometimes get a Hemi 'Cuda. Never drove such a fierce car in my life!

But now I am partial to small drivers cars. Never was able to justify one (or afford it) earlier in life, so I finally bought a used Toyota MR2 Spyder. Like I've said, I will want to continue learning new things, and have signed up for performance driving lessons at a very nice racecourse. The car is now at Thompson Racing Fabrication having a roll bar installed . . . a requirement for convertables at that track

I like the way you see the decision to honor the voluntary pandemic restrictions. Honor is when you do the right thing and instead of finding excuses to do the wrong thing. I'm sure there is a long list of excuses people used that resulted in the pandemic lasting way too long.
  • The rules don't apply to me, I don't have the virus.
  • I know my (silly, don't apply here) rights.
  • This is just a slippery slope towards a tyrannical world government.
  • It could actually be a plandemic. Censorship just proves the point.
  • I'll use my own judgement because the experts are just being overcautious.
  • etc.
The most stupifyingly ignorant excuse I've heard is "I've got an immune system." How do these immunology wannabes think how an immune system is trained to recognize SARS without getting COVID? A= A Vaccine (facepalm).

New Threads

Top Bottom