• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"A Long Remembered Sorrow"

Note: Title inspired by composer Leo Ornstein's work of the same name.

My name is Matthew; I am 22 years of age, damaged from Asperger Syndrome, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder, and live, unemployed, with my parents. Honestly, to write about myself is to set a near impossible objective, not because of any bias I maintain, yet because there can hardly be said to exist anything of genuine experience to summarize. Who sympathizes with the privileged life of a non-participant, confined to his thoughts? I have been nowhere, seen nothing, and belong to an exhausted void that may bestow upon the entrant much desired acceptance. Confirming what must already be apparent, only a morass of unearned self-pity drives me through my night and day.

An official diagnosis of Asperger's took place while failing to gain respect from my peers in middle school, before which time I dreamed of a future in the arts which surely exists no longer. My diagnosis meant nothing to me beyond unfathomable verbiage, but I can retrospectively see the accuracy of their labeling with clarity. As a child, between awkwardness in navigating the world and its subsequent narrowing to easily compartmentalized interests, I would obsessively memorize the MPAA ratings of movies in our media library, anticipating my lifelong passion for film (2001: A Space Odyssey at the pinnacle of the canon).

Shunned and ridiculed, middle school destroyed me, and by the end of my equally unpleasant experience in high school, I made no plans to attend college, preferring instead to hide away in my room while people with greater strife continue to suffer. Almost every job I've held since then I've fled, continuous interaction with another person is a myth and I struggle to work up enthusiasm for things I cherish. My recent experimentation with community college ended with my departure after three classes; I remain devoid of any talent.

The purpose of writing to you is because I am desperate for connection, and while my heart is corrupted with negativity, I once had a future that I have to believe will reveal itself again. In my free time (which is all the time), I immerse myself in art forms which are easier to understand than people, including (besides film) classical and experimental music and video games (Braid is the work I consider to have defined the medium), and hope to share my interests with you. As my embarrassment grows my will to write lessens, so... thank you for reading.

Welcome, I hope you find like I have a supportive community of people who have gone through similar experiences.

Hi Matthew

welcome to af.png

Welcome Matthew.
Please don't feel embarassed.
You'll find people here that have lived this angst, self included.
I always loved the arts and music also.
PM me if you would like to.

Hi Matthew, and welcome. Your dreams don't have to stop - you're still the same person you were before your diagnosis. What you are feeling is damage, could possibly be what could make you great.

Sincere thanks for all the very supportive responses! Last night I felt, well, doomed, but today I am just a little bit more optimistic. Without delving into my whole life story here, some aspects of myself that I forgot to mention in the initial post include my interest in rock music (The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, etc.), diet of pasta and not much else, being the eldest of a set of triplets and subscription to atheism, and while I’ve never been in a relationship, I consider myself a romantic at heart. :) Looking forward to getting acquainted with everyone here!

I think you have found your people. I think you sound interesting and I like you already. Glad you joined us.

Hi Matthew, welcome. I really enjoyed reading your post, although I felt sad for what you have been through, but the way you write is awesome. I hope you enjoy it here, and keep on posting!

:spiralshell::spoutingwhale::spiralshell::dolphin::spiralshell::whale:

Matthew, do you relate to Mr. Ornsteins’ piece, “A Long Remembered Sorrow” specifically or could you see yourself relating more generally to Ornsteins musical expansion over time?

If so, I’d say the depth of your understandings and fluidity of your considerations would prompt even the most cautious forum reader to lean in toward their screen as you, Matthew may very well be on the brink of significant self-revelation.

See I believe there exists a thin veil between what life and environment thru trickery define as normal and what we can honestly understand ourselves as fact. A string of savage musical notes on a page early in a composers career (Wild Men Dance) versus organized depth of relaxed rhythm a bit later (A Long Remembered Sorrow).

What I perceive as acceptable self-defining; rhythmically brutal fact while looking out into a huge cruel world versus the realities of who I am based on the peace-centered truth of humanity's base; organization of tone and rhythm, are two very different things.

Hurdles aside; we are who we are. We become who we decide to become. Much easier said than done.

I applaud your post. Never be embarrassed here. Thank you for taking the time to write it. May this forum and the people here play a small role in your launch into the rest of your life.

Thank you.

subscription to atheism

I hope you're not paying to much....

I think you can move away from Desolation Row...

What I perceive as acceptable self-defining; rhythmically brutal fact while looking out into a huge cruel world versus the realities of who I am based on the peace-centered truth of humanity's base; organization of tone and rhythm, are two very different things.

Hurdles aside; we are who we are. We become who we decide to become. Much easier said than done.

I remember your first post here @George Newman it's nice you stuck around as I think you make a consistently good contributions.

Matthew, do you relate to Mr. Ornsteins’ piece, “A Long Remembered Sorrow” specifically or could you see yourself relating more generally to Ornsteins musical expansion over time?

If so, I’d say the depth of your understandings and fluidity of your considerations would prompt even the most cautious forum reader to lean in toward their screen as you, Matthew may very well be on the brink of significant self-revelation.

See I believe there exists a thin veil between what life and environment thru trickery define as normal and what we can honestly understand ourselves as fact. A string of savage musical notes on a page early in a composers career (Wild Men Dance) versus organized depth of relaxed rhythm a bit later (A Long Remembered Sorrow).

I applaud your post. Never be embarrassed here. Thank you for taking the time to write it. May this forum and the people here play a small role in your launch into the rest of your life.

Thank you.

While it remains difficult to establish any overarching continuity when discussing the variable Ornstein, I would say we’re past Wild Men’s Dance (portions of it will carry with me always), but not quite at the level of self realization displayed in A Long Remembered Sorrow, so consider the association to be anticipatory for now. His Violin Sonata No. 1 Op. 26 is perhaps where I stand as of late, because while listening to its romantic yet afflicted tone, I imagine Ornstein grasping at something that is seemingly just beyond reach. One cannot even begin to express how well articulated your post is, George, and I appreciate the welcome.

Edit: Spelling!

Last edited:
Note: Title inspired by composer Leo Ornstein's work of the same name.

My name is Matthew; I am 22 years of age, damaged from Asperger Syndrome, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder, and live, unemployed, with my parents. Honestly, to write about myself is to set a near impossible objective, not because of any bias I maintain, yet because there can hardly be said to exist anything of genuine experience to summarize. Who sympathizes with the privileged life of a non-participant, confined to his thoughts? I have been nowhere, seen nothing, and belong to an exhausted void that may bestow upon the entrant much desired acceptance. Confirming what must already be apparent, only a morass of unearned self-pity drives me through my night and day.

An official diagnosis of Asperger's took place while failing to gain respect from my peers in middle school, before which time I dreamed of a future in the arts which surely exists no longer. My diagnosis meant nothing to me beyond unfathomable verbiage, but I can retrospectively see the accuracy of their labeling with clarity. As a child, between awkwardness in navigating the world and its subsequent narrowing to easily compartmentalized interests, I would obsessively memorize the MPAA ratings of movies in our media library, anticipating my lifelong passion for film (2001: A Space Odyssey at the pinnacle of the canon).

Shunned and ridiculed, middle school destroyed me, and by the end of my equally unpleasant experience in high school, I made no plans to attend college, preferring instead to hide away in my room while people with greater strife continue to suffer. Almost every job I've held since then I've fled, continuous interaction with another person is a myth and I struggle to work up enthusiasm for things I cherish. My recent experimentation with community college ended with my departure after three classes; I remain devoid of any talent.

The purpose of writing to you is because I am desperate for connection, and while my heart is corrupted with negativity, I once had a future that I have to believe will reveal itself again. In my free time (which is all the time), I immerse myself in art forms which are easier to understand than people, including (besides film) classical and experimental music and video games (Braid is the work I consider to have defined the medium), and hope to share my interests with you. As my embarrassment grows my will to write lessens, so... thank you for reading.
Devoid of any talent? I think not. You are a very talented writer. I wish I could articulate as well as you just did here. Although melancholy

Devoid of any talent? I think not. You are a very talented writer. I wish I could articulate as well as you just did here. Although melancholy
Oops that posted before I was finished. Anyway, welcome and I hope you stick around and keep posting. You write beautifully.

New Threads

Top Bottom