• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A little unsure and confused

Andrea479026

Hi, not sure how this works, as I'm new to using forums of any kind. I'm 30 years old (female). Since I was around 9-10 years old I have suffered from anxiety disorders and depression. I have been diagnosed with severe OCD, social anxiety, general anxiety disorder, etc. My father and brother have a diagnosis of Asperger's.

I left school a few years before everyone else because I had issues with anxiety and feeling 'trapped' when in class. I was given a place in a 'hospital school' instead, and that helped me a lot because they understood my issues, and didn't judge when I was having a 'freak out'.

I have learned to better handle the issues I have, but it is always there in the background. I still sometimes get so overwhelmed by situations that I have to retreat to somewhere I can be alone. I'll literally rock back and forth or rub the clothing on my leg, it feels like my mind is so full that I want to get out of it but cant.

I have no friends because i push everyone away, even though I don't mean to. I was just wondering if this sounds like possible autism, and if I should seek professional help? Thanks.

6e6c13b4e2611c2c55e1e00ed7865535.png

Hi and welcome. Girls and women often get passed over for diagnosis of autism where males are more easily spotted. Plus autism appears to run in families often.

Sounds like you meet some of the criteria, so it's well worth discussion. It could be that autism is what ties things together for you, helpful to know if so. There are online tests that may help you for guidance. But discussions here are often relevant and informative around this.

Everyone is different, but much of what you describe would be echoed by some others here. What do your father and brother think?

I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:mouse::spiralshell::goat::spiralshell::ram::spiralshell::rabbit::spiralshell::sheep:

Hi, thanks for the reply. What I have previously discussed only covers the tip of the iceberg. I just don't know how to put forward or describe the full story.

My father and brother will not discuss any of their own issues to me. They close up whenever autism comes into conversation. Therefore, I have never discussed my issues with them.

Last edited:
What you describe along wiith family history makes it seem very possible to me. Autism very often comes with so called 'Co-morbids', of which, Anxiety, OCD and difficulty with social situations are very common. Anxiety seems so common I think its a rare Aspie that doesn't have it.

I think it probably happens quite often that only the symtomatic aspects (co-morbids) are identified and not the underlying cause (autism). There is still a lot of confusion and debate in the medical profession on autism, and even misconceptions. It's likely particularly true of diagnoses for women.

Hi, thanks for the reply. What I have previously discussed only covers the tip of the iceberg. I just don't know how to put forward or describe the full story.

My father and brother will not discuss any of others own issues to me. They close up whenever it comes into conversation. Therefore, I have never discussed my issues with them.

A comadre. l push people away too

My father and brother will not discuss any of others own issues to me. They close up whenever it comes into conversation. Therefore, I have never discussed my issues with them.

l push people away too. I can relate. My family never discussed anything with me. l was treated as an outsider. And now l am comfortable in that role as a senior citizen. l made peace with this. l hope you find acceptance.

Thank you for replies and info. I think I accidentally worded my last response wrong and have corrected it.

What I meant was that they will not talk about their own autism (I think that it makes them feel uncomfortable). And because of that I've never discussed my issues with them. I honestly don't think that my father and brother have ever discussed it with each other, even though they both have a diagnosis. It's almost like a taboo topic in the family. Hope that clears it up a bit.

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, so welcome!

Definitely if you get a chance, try to find a clinican who is experienced in working with women on the spectrum.

Hello and welcome to the forums. I was also diagnosed with anxiety, depression and ocd before i came to know about autism. And i am pretty much sure my father is autistic.
It is also a taboo subject in our family, in fact everything concerning mental health is.

I hope this place can be of some help to you to understand yourself better.

Wow. Nobody will discuss it. It's like the big Autistic white elephant in the room but everybody ignores it. That's got to be tough. There is nothing bad about talking about it.

Welcome here! I was diagnosed at 16, but had/have my share of depression and anxiety. For me, a diagnosis really helped. If you think it might benefit you, it's worth pursuing.

Thank you for being so welcoming, and for all the advice. I'll maybe book an appointment with the doctor when I can, just feel a little nervous about it. I'll have a read of others posts and stories as well to see if any of it relates.

Yo-yo
I’m 22 and and got my autism diagnosis just a couple months ago... I’m not sure just yet what I think about it or what’s going to change like a little part of me is just like what’s the point in a diagnosis what’s going to happen now? I also feel a bit annoyed at how long it took to get a diagnosis and I know I’m by far not the oldest to get a diagnosis but I’ve just had so many mental health problems, being passed around doctors since being a kid I feel things could be so different if I knew this earlier. But who knows...
Anyways apologies for rambling but yeah I’ve never really had any friends I just find it hard to make connections and hold conversations... again I’m not really helping in anyway lol but I hope you do try to get help from a professional and get some answers!

New Threads

Top Bottom