• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A little reassurance (I hope)

WolfSpirit

Not a dictionary. Or a search engine
I've been debating for several days now about whether to post this or not, and how to come up with the right words to provide context, but after reading posts in the "me against the world" thread, I thought I'd better. It's my favourite part of the audiobook. (see below). It's kept me going through some very difficult times. Sometimes all we need to give us the strength to keep going, is, well hope. (okay, and some reassurance, even if it's only in our head, or wishful thinking. See comments others have made about how our thoughts control our reality, and my comments in the above mentioned thread about 'reparenting' ourselves when necessary.)

I think the sentiment of the below quote can apply to this site, if one decides one wants it to. And yes, life is, ultimately beyond our control, but there is considerable research out there that suggests that sometimes all patients need to survive against incredible odds, is to hear someone say they're going to. Power of belief.

"'You're safe. You're among friends, and you're going to live.' As the transporter beam took hold of the doctor and her patient, Beverly Crusher hoped she could keep that last promise."
- Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Devils' Heart, by Carmen Carter.

Do you believe in choice?
To me it sounds like you don't - "And yes, life is, ultimately beyond our control."
I believe in choice.
That means I have to be responsible for all my actions, good, bad, wise and foolish.

I think of it similar to sailing a ship.
You have the winds, currents and how your ship is rigged.
With the right skills, planning, resources and time you can go anywhere.
But not fore sure.

Do you believe in choice?
To me it sounds like you don't - "And yes, life is, ultimately beyond our control."
I believe in choice.
That means I have to be responsible for all my actions, good, bad, wise and foolish.

Oh, I absolutely believe in choice. And responsibility. What I meant was that we don't get to choose when we die (usually), we don't get to choose a lot of the crap that comes our way. (accidents, natural disasters, cruelty from other people). We also don't necessarily get to choose the good that comes our way. Life is what it is. Believing we have control over it all is delusional. Believing we have some control is necessary. Hell, believing we have more control than we do is necessary. As the saying goes "you can't control other people, all you can really control is yourself."

New Threads

Top Bottom