• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A higher spiritual truth to autism?

Yeah, I'm struggling to see a spiritual side to autism. I'm not a very spiritual person to begin with. I'm not religious. Maybe you could give us a clue on how you think it has a spiritual side to start us off?

nope,i cant see it,many of us auties are forced to have a religeon and struggle to understand all the concepts,the language and spirituality overall, and aspies are often athiests because they are more scientific minded,so id say the spectrum isnt very spiritual.

This is such a short query but so loaded! I have read articles about this on both sides...........some very scary and others comforting. I am neuro diverse and all messed up, not fully autistic and not fully anything else, but I have read about people who think many various things about these things.

People need peace and some of us have to fight harder to find a scrap of it here and there. I do have a deep spiritual life, but some with these troubles do not. So maybe for some people, the spirit/psyche/soul/mind or whatever you want to call it has been affected but for others, maybe it is just physical/brain/biological. And maybe for still others, it is genetic or social or whatever.

I like the saying If YOu Meet One Autistic You have met One Autistic. But I would like to expand that.....If You have Met One Person , You Have met One Person! :)

I think that most on the spectrum tend to not be spiritual, but that is because of what is consituted as spiritual for most faiths tend to flout common rules in the scientific field and so, because science is real, then conversily, spiritual aspect ie a higher being has to be unreal.

However, I was shown, because I allowed myself to be shown, the truth held in the bible and for one thing: our universe is millions of years old; not what is taught of a literal 6 day worth of creation. No where in the bible does it mention how old our planet it is.

The history of how the human race came to be about and how old IS clearly recorded.

I love what I read not so long ago. Many people believe without even thinking about it, past historial figures and yet, refuse to believe in Jesus yet at the same time, most will celebrate which is commonly known as his birth date, which lol is not even mentioned in the bible.

In fact, if it were not for MY Creator ( I say MY, because I know if I say: OUR, that I will be called up on that, since not everyone does believe), then there would be no science.

In the book of Job, which I am currently reading, it is written how our planet is situated and says: hanging upon nothing and guess what? It was year's later, after much theories on what our planet was hanging upon, that science "discovered" that it hangs upon nothing.

I believe in my Creator, because it makes absolute sense to me; full of common sense and logic ( I am a logical person). If something does not make sense to me, I cannot get it in to my head.

I love my Creator so much, so I guess I would be called a very spiritual person :)

From my own cosmic perspective, IMO our own souls predetermine most of our challenges and hardships of our next incarnation on this plane of existence.

On the "other side" we're incredibly magnanimous souls, determined to seek hardship and challenge for enlightenment that can only occur within this temporary plane of existence.

And much like any class, once it's over we get to go ""home". Unless of course there's a cosmic need to "repeat the lesson".

Last edited:
From my own cosmic perspective, IMO our own souls predetermine most of our challenges and hardships of our next incarnation on this plane of existence.

On the "other side" we're incredibly magnanimous souls, determined to seek hardship and challenge for enlightenment that can only occur within this temporary plane of existence.

And much like any class, once it's over we get to go ""home". Unless of course there's a cosmic need to "repeat the lesson".

Yeah, I'm struggling to see a spiritual side to autism. I'm not a very spiritual person to begin with. I'm not religious. Maybe you could give us a clue on how you think it has a spiritual side to start us off?

That was my position for a long time, until finding out became a special interest. I spent about 3 years on it starting with physics, quantum theory, near death experiences, and ended up at Eastern mysticism and spiritual enlightenment.

I now believe that there is just one thing, and we are all parts of it, manifesting as separate entities. You can call it God, the universe or existing in the moment, but once you see it it's obvious.

The only belief I reject is atheism, as it takes a stand for the non-existence of God, which can only be a belief in itself. Agnosticism is to me fine and the rational position for anyone who doesn't believe.

I think that most on the spectrum tend to not be spiritual, but that is because of what is consituted as spiritual for most faiths tend to flout common rules in the scientific field and so, because science is real, then conversily, spiritual aspect ie a higher being has to be unreal.

This is the problem isn't it?

People are driven into opposition (atheism) by the extremes of religion which do not fit with scientific discovery.

The reality is that many scientists have some form of belief, and many things in science hint at there being more that just matter and energy.

The materialist dogma is "give me one free miracle and I'll explain everything else"

Oops, sorry for shooting that blank.
I just have.to wonder about of ur purpose to being the way we are. The Pleiadians would say we are systems busters. In other words beings that see through the ridiculous systems that are in place, societal,political and what have.you and in so doing cause changes to come about . And the mormans( at least the one that I know best) will say that we, as well well as downs syndrome and other "intellectual disabilities" have somehow earned this incarnation as some kind of reward, and don't have to do it the.same way as others,or that w e are hear to teach different lessons to those willing to learn them. I just don't know. I just wanted to see what you all have to say. I do think it's important to try and find out in o order to make peace and find equilibrium with what we face on a daily basis. I know I want nothing more than to believe in a loving creator with a bigger picture we all fit into. And having a logical mind I have come to find that " intelligent design" is not only possible but likely, and if you look at where we are as a human race , what we can do as far as genetics, clowning, virtual reality,3D printing cells and even complete organs , AI, robotics...it all makes sense when morman doctrine states that"as you are I once was, as I am you shall be."I mean why can't the big bang and the breath of life be the same event?

That was my position for a long time, until finding out became a special interest. I spent about 3 years on it starting with physics, quantum theory, near death experiences, and ended up at Eastern mysticism and spiritual enlightenment.

I now believe that there is just one thing, and we are all parts of it, manifesting as separate entities. You can call it God, the universe or existing in the moment, but once you see it it's obvious.

The only belief I reject is atheism, as it takes a stand for the non-existence of God, which can only be a belief in itself. Agnosticism is to me fine and the rational position for anyone who doesn't believe.

This is the problem isn't it?

People are driven into opposition (atheism) by the extremes of religion which do not fit with scientific discovery.

The reality is that many scientists have some form of belief, and many things in science hint at there being more that just matter and energy.

The materialist dogma is "give me one free miracle and I'll explain everything else"
I could not agree more my friend!

Do I believe autism is a spiritual thing? I don't know.... No more or less than any neurotype or state of being is a spiritual thing.

I pursued enlightenment as a special interest for a few years, all before I knew I was aspie.

I think I found it a lot easier than many NTs as many people never get any where and are still running around after sages 20 years later.

I did have problems though in that the question "am I now enlightened / awake/ Buddha)" just seemed unanswerable, and when I tried to compare my experience with other people it didn't match.

Throughout the process a lot of stuff fell away, and I can now see that a lot of that where the copying and fitting in mechanism that I'd built over time. The problem with was that they were not built consciously and were causing problems.

Im definitely travelling a lot lighter now.

Interestingly, not being able to maintain eye contact naturally also fell away, without me trying or even thinking about it. I just noticed that I was making easy eye contact one day.

English and Spanish version - Pierre-André Pelletier
Has anyone else ever read this? I am spiritual but not religious and I found this a bit sappy and overly religious, but intriguing. Especially when he talks about aspies being aware of the subtle planes. For as long as I can remember I have had this strange almost psychic ability, though I wouldn't call it psychic. I just get this feeling and I know what is about to happen. Or I get feelings from people and I know whats going on without them telling me. Some examples are when I was 20, I just knew that my boyfriend at the time and I were going to break up on valentines day about a week before valentines. On the day he made some excuse about working and ditched me. I guessed where he would go and a few hours later watched him walk out with some one else. I broke up with him later. When I was pregnant with my son I told a friend I thought he was going to be a little early. My due date was July 7th. My friend told me to pick a day and we'd see if I'm right. Well this was in march that year so I was just like I don't know what day I just have a feeling it will be a little earlier, so I told her to just mark June 23rd as my guess. I don't know if I knew or if he heard me but he was born on June 23rd. Later that year I had a feeling that one of my husbands cousins would be the next in the family to have a child. He was only 20 and not even dating anyone that we knew of so my husband thought I was crazy. Sure enough about two months later we met his girlfriend and they told us they were expecting a baby.

English and Spanish version - Pierre-André Pelletier
Has anyone else ever read this? I am spiritual but not religious and I found this a bit sappy and overly religious, but intriguing. Especially when he talks about aspies being aware of the subtle planes. For as long as I can remember I have had this strange almost psychic ability, though I wouldn't call it psychic. I just get this feeling and I know what is about to happen. Or I get feelings from people and I know whats going on without them telling me. Some examples are when I was 20, I just knew that my boyfriend at the time and I were going to break up on valentines day about a week before valentines. On the day he made some excuse about working and ditched me. I guessed where he would go and a few hours later watched him walk out with some one else. I broke up with him later. When I was pregnant with my son I told a friend I thought he was going to be a little early. My due date was July 7th. My friend told me to pick a day and we'd see if I'm right. Well this was in march that year so I was just like I don't know what day I just have a feeling it will be a little earlier, so I told her to just mark June 23rd as my guess. I don't know if I knew or if he heard me but he was born on June 23rd. Later that year I had a feeling that one of my husbands cousins would be the next in the family to have a child. He was only 20 and not even dating anyone that we knew of so my husband thought I was crazy. Sure enough about two months later we met his girlfriend and they told us they were expecting a baby.

Conciousness is fundamental to reality.

There's a guy called Dean Radin (who gets very unfairly blasted by narrow vision, militant materialists). He studies things like this.

He apparent found that ace fighter pilots may do this. The military calls it "exceptional situational awareness", but that doesn't explain the vast gap between the great fighter pilots and the aces. There shouldn't be a large gap at all.

Im no where near your experience, but I had an experience that saved my life. I was riding my motorcycle towards a blind bend at about 80mph, and I heard a weird noise in my helmet. My mind thought "that sounded like Satan laughing"

I came off the power, and went around the bend about 40mph, maybe less, and saw a biker coming towards me on the wrong side, overtaking 4 cars at high speed. I braked heavily and he just managed to cut in front of the lead car.

The road was in mountainous terrain and a large hill was between me and the road around the bend, so zero possibility of unconscious cues.

Science may think it's wiped out metaphysics, but it hasn't. There are militant atheists that attempt to control and drown out fringe science as it challenges their world view.

As I understand it, being spiritual has very little to do with being religious, even though the two are often associated with each other by many. To me, being spiritual means acknowledging the reality that there is much more to reality than just what we, in our physical form, can perceive. It means acknowledging the very high probability, if not certainty, that the material realm is little more substantial than a mirage, and just as misleading. It means acknowledging the likelihood that our current understanding of reality is hopelessly incomplete, and that the mind simply cannot be reduced to chemistry and electricity, as reductionists believe.

Religion is simply the adoption of certain attitudes, practices and beliefs that one hopes will ensure safe passage to the afterlife of one's choice, or being reborn into a higher caste in one's next incarnation on Earth. It is, more than anything, developed out of habit: habits of thought, and habits of routine (ex. praying five times a day). People who talk about God are often called 'religious', but I believe in God and am not religious.

Me too. If asked, I will usually say, "I'm an agnostic".

Yes, absolutely true.

Yes, in one of those TedX talks on YouTube, a scientist named Rupert Sheldrake mentions this (in reference to the "Big Bang" of cosmology). A universe from literally nothing really IS a miracle, one worse than magic. "At least with magic, you have the magician and the hat" - William Lane Craig

Last edited:
Conciousness is fundamental to reality.

Yes, for without it we would be aware of precisely nothing, including the reality of our own existence. From our perspective, there would indeed be absolutely nothing in existence.

There's a guy called Dean Radin (who gets very unfairly blasted by narrow vision, militant materialists). He studies things like this.

Militant materialists are just egotistical attention-seekers, in my opinion. They - like Paris Hilton and the Kardashians - should just be ignored.

Science may think it's wiped out metaphysics, but it hasn't. There are militant atheists that attempt to control and drown out fringe science as it challenges their world view.

No, it isn't 'science' that thinks this, but certain scientISTS (ex. Hawking, Krauss), who just refuse to close their gobs when it comes to matters they know nothing about.

New Threads

Top Bottom