• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Fun But Effective Trick For Managing Anxiety

I liked this part.

"Just like any other skill, changing the story of your anxiety takes practice.
But over time, you can begin to think and feel differently."

Using a little imagination to apply a rational approach sounds useful.
Right now, that seems like the most difficult part, the imaginative aspect.

I don't have a clear idea of how I'd characterize Anxiety.
The first image that came to mind was a faceless cloaked hollow
entity, similar to The Grim Reaper. I'd have to change the name,
to be able to deal with that. Maybe "Spooky"? o_O IDK

I posted this just before going to bed last night, so I didn't add any commentary.

Naming it is a new concept to me - I don't know what to make of it yet.

I like separating it from my identity. "I struggle with anxiety" rather than "I am anxious".

I like externalizing it as a way to drill into my brain that I can learn to cope, fight it, work around it, and manage it. That seems like the most encouraging part of the article.

This is a useful idea and a user friendly article. Michael White was an Australian therapist and he and David Epson who's from New Zealand were originators of Narrative therapy, and the idea of externalising in this way. I first came across this where they wrote about a little boy and his family who were up against Sneaky Pooh, who had ways of turning up and getting the boy into difficulties, and worrying and shaming the family. The child and his family got wise to Sneaky Poohs ways, and managed to gradually outwit him and outsmart him.

:snake:

I first came across this where they wrote about a little boy and his family who were up against Sneaky Pooh, who had ways of turning up and getting the boy into difficulties, and worrying and shaming the family. The child and his family got wise to Sneaky Poohs ways, and managed to gradually outwit him and outsmart him.

That sounds like a fun read!

Another great idea from Michael White is Reauthoring, this is where we can rewrite our own lives and stories in ways that are more descriptive of our strengths, rather than our challenges or failures. I have done a lot of that in therapy over the years, plus it's very applicable for those of us who understand our high autistic traits or Aspergers in later life, where ways we have come to think of as problematic can be reviewed and understood differently, as facets of our neurodiversity rather than lacks.

Another great idea from Michael White is Reauthoring, this is where we can rewrite our own lives and stories in ways that are more descriptive of our strengths, rather than our challenges or failures. I have done a lot of that in therapy over the years, plus it's very applicable for those of us who understand our high autistic traits or Aspergers in later life, where ways we have come to think of as problematic can be reviewed and understood differently, as facets of our neurodiversity rather than lacks.

I've done a lot of re-writing or re-framing of memories. Times where I acted out were because I didn't know how to communicate and wasn't understood, not because I was "bad". Bullies simply didn't understand me and didn't have any idea how much their actions would affect me - they weren't out to get me. My parents weren't harsh - they didn't know how to deal with me. ...and many others.

It's been a very helpful exercise every time.

I've been at war with "the butterflies" for a long time now and only won a few battles.
(I'd expected myself to be victorious more often)

I like the idea of the narrative. Talking to oneself.

Anxiety is part of me but not all that I am.

As such "run like hell" became a very effective immediate solution in 'the moment'
- in the absence of alternatives,
thus creating a (reliable) habit.

I think using the narrative to assuage or challenge kindly is what's next for me.

challenge kindly is more,
"Okay, I hear you. But first, Show me that real life, hungry, prowling tiger and you have my word I'll get us out of here"

rather than donn full battle dress complete with sword and axe at the first uncomfortable thought.

If you release more than one, you can get them to fight each other. My compulsion to get everything right works well against my anxiety about not getting enough done.

I think I can agree with that :)

my stressing over believing I'm 'stuck' forever;
- be it,
inside the house,
not making progress (task, challenges)

may frequently be up against,

the anxieties felt on being out of the house at work/shopping/walking
and also getting things right (tasks, challenges)

If you release more than one, you can get them to fight each other. My compulsion to get everything right works well against my anxiety about not getting enough done.

Thought based tigers are the best.

Almost got an over -interest from a real life tiger once.
It was distracted with a stick.

Thought tigers.

New Threads

Top Bottom