• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Design of A Product That Can Help Individuals With Autism Calm Themselves Down [THESIS]

Justine Saria

Hello!

I took on this topic because, even if I'm not related with anyone with Autism, I have always taken a liking to psychology. That also goes the same with mental disabilities, and since the push for awareness has become rampant these days, that made me want to take on the topic.

I also dislike it when I see individuals having a hard time to socialize and being understood, and apparently, those with Autism experience the same thing.

The school I study in right now is inclusive in nature, so I get to see a lot of my schoolmates that exhibit manifestations of Autism, and seeing them get stares and other judgements from NTs just makes me sad.

I am currently a Third Year Industrial Design student studying in the Philippines. I decided to join this forum because I need help with my Thesis Project entitled: A Design of A Product That Can Help Individuals with Autism Calm Themselves Down, and I would need to reach at least 100 respondents for my survey. I am also reaching out here so that I would be able to have a better grasp when it comes to the whole concept of Autism.

Here are the surveys (please only answer those that apply to you):

for PARENTS/RELATIVES:
https://goo.gl/forms/34tViGdJzEwfmrHI3

for PROS (Doctors, counselors, therapists etc.):
https://goo.gl/forms/MNZDokKvB9X8DneG2

for THOSE WITH AUTISM:
https://goo.gl/forms/YPCQeOy2m9E15w843

If anyone would be willing to help and allot time for my research, please comment below what your relationship with Autism is (Parent, relative, doctor, therapist, counselor, or someone with Autism), or contact me at [email protected]

Responses are highly appreciated! Thank you!

In case you would first like to know more about my research, feel free to ask me as well!

Last edited:
I have to agree with Streetwise.

Also, in the study for those with autism there was a question I wouldn't know how to answer. The question: Do you study in a special education school? Most of us here are adults. I was in public school for preschool through third grade, a special education school for grades 4-12 but then went to a mainstream college for my bachelor's. So I guess technically the answer is no since I'm not currently studying in a special education school but this may not be the best way to ask.

Hello,

I am sorry that I have nothing better to offer. In case others who have helped me with this Thesis Project for my undergraduate studies are interested, I can provide them a copy of my research once it has been finalized (after a year of study).

Sadly, that is all I can offer right now, since this is only a Thesis Project. I would never expect others to help, and can only ask for their support.

I would never force anyone that is unwilling to help, of course. In case that my product/design breaks through the interests of companies who may review my research and would help make this become an actuality, in that case, I'm sure that my product would be of use and help for those with Autism (hopefully, it works. I will need as much research as possible.)

Thank you for voicing out your concern! :)

Last edited:
I have to agree with Streetwise.

Also, in the study for those with autism there was a question I wouldn't know how to answer. The question: Do you study in a special education school? Most of us here are adults. I was in public school for preschool through third grade, a special education school for grades 4-12 but then went to a mainstream college for my bachelor's. So I guess technically the answer is no since I'm not currently studying in a special education school but this may not be the best way to ask.

Ah. I will change my question to "have you ever studied in a special school" then.

I am sorry this has caused confusion, I have written these survey within the Philippine context. I am also unaware of the actual population of this forum, so I must apologize.

I posted everything so that whichever survey that may apply is made available to those who are willing to offer their help.

Thank you!

And the people that give you the information that inspires whatever you produce get nothing ?

Sometimes in life it is about giving and not always receiving. Anyway, in this case, how do we know the thesis paper and study could not one day help at least some with Autism? We are prejudging and categorizing without asking additional questions. The original poster was polite and seemed sincere, wanting to help those with Autism, from what I understand so far, but as a parent with two autistic children I will try to chat privately to confirm and be one of the many persons needed to try assist if this is the case.

The main autistic charities in this world that want to help, will be asking for millions in donations to do a simple study that I could do for free, and often nothing in return but negative study results with a negative slant about Autism, to justify getting more donations. That is where the concerns should be addressed. This student poster from what I know so far is not asking for money, but our time, answers and insight, with purpose to uncover positive information to help those on the Spectrum. Again, I will try to talk to the op privately, if it is her desire, as I like helping persons who are nice, sincere, and with good intention.

Still a voucher for a free donut would be encouraging.

Jack's_Donuts.jpg

This shot of a squirrel stealing a cops donuts has made me hungry!
636657105345766187-VPCSEEN-DONUT-SQUIRREL-DESKTOP-THUMB.jpg

Just kidding btw, I know its not feasible. But since we get requests to help researchers by filling out surveys a couple times a month, month in, month out, I wish there was a way something could be given to the people who take the time. They would get many more responses as well. I bet it could be done while still retaining privacy, like the responder gets a redemption code at the end of the survey (like for those horrible health destroying things we call donuts in the USA). ;)

Posting a link to your finished study is a very good idea. Hardly anybody does that. I only remember one student who did.

I decided to participate, after talking to the op privately more, getting more information, and after asking additional questions and getting acceptable or desired answers there, and after reading the questionaire, and applicable form for those who want to consider doing the email interview, too. Everything looks fine with me, and was created and presented with professionalsm, yet in a friendly and informative way. Hope others inquire more too and consider participating, in one or both ways that she is offering.

Still a voucher for a free donut would be encouraging.

View attachment 45431
This shot of a squirrel stealing a cops donuts has made me hungry!
View attachment 45432

Just kidding btw, I know its not feasible. But since we get requests to help researchers by filling out surveys a couple times a month, month in, month out, I wish there was a way something could be given to the people who take the time. They would get many more responses as well. I bet it could be done while still retaining privacy, like the responder gets a redemption code at the end of the survey (like for those horrible health destroying things we call donuts in the USA). ;)

Posting a link to your finished study is a very good idea. Hardly anybody does that. I only remember one student who did.

Hahaha! Sadly, it's all I can offer :(

So for privacy, I made sure to make the 'name' category as optional, so those who dare not share their identity can keep it to themselves. I only strongly need those required. I wouldn't want to be accused of stealing informations and such.

Thank you!

New Threads

Top Bottom