• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

9yr old daughter diagnosed today

jeane123

My daughter was diagnosed today with mild Asperger's, now before today I had no idea what it was and like most people when I hear autism or Asperger's I think about the worst case scenario.
She is super intelligent and doing great academically at school. the social and behavior part is what is missing. I found this forum by doing a little searching online and would like to find out if there are any links, books or anything at this point that I can read re aspbergers and pre-teen girls. I was told by the psychiatrist that its very different for girls and boys. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Welcome to our happy little community. I'm not a parent, but I know there are others here that can help you find what you're looking for. Feel free to browse around, post some questions, pick some brains, and make a few new friends along the way.

Thanks Sportster I appreciate all the help and guidance I can get. Any suggestions would be appreciated and welcomed.

My daughter was diagnosed today with mild Asperger's, now before today I had no idea what it was and like most people when I hear autism or Asperger's I think about the worst case scenario.
She is super intelligent and doing great academically at school. the social and behavior part is what is missing. I found this forum by doing a little searching online and would like to find out if there are any links, books or anything at this point that I can read re aspbergers and pre-teen girls. I was told by the psychiatrist that its very different for girls and boys. Any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Are you in the US?

Yes, in MN

Was her diagnosis ASD level one or Asperger's Syndrome? The reason that I ask is that in 2013 they went to the DSM-5 diagnosis criteria in the US. The DSM-5 does not include Asperger's Syndrome. Not only is it different for girls than boys, it is much more common in boys. Keep reading the forum, there are a lot of highly intelligent ladies here who can give you a lot more insight to what it is like to be a female Aspie. I believe that Aspie children should have consoling to help them deal with their weakness's better and to better take advantage of their considerable strengths. Consoling now and continuing education, who knows what she will be able to do?

You might try reading "Been There. Done That. Try This!" by Dr. Tony Attwood. It was written for Aspies, but has a lot of insight that could help you.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I could never figure out why she did the things she does, and this may give my family better insight on how to handle her and her Behaviour. I will read all I can and if anyone has been through this with a girl that age please let me know if you have any tips, tricks, proven methods, what works, what does't etc. this is the first time a dr told me to join a forum and ask people what to do and do my own research it's all very new to me

In terms of books try 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome' by Tony Attwood. 'Aspergirls' is also apparently very good.

This site is also quite good.

Asperger's is a very complex condition hence why call it pervasive. Take your time reading about it and digesting all the information

New Threads

Top Bottom