• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

50 Famous Misunderstood Song Lyrics

I'm just glad to know the difference between a deuce and a douce. Though living in a state with legalized gambling, I can't say I've seen any number runners in the night either. :rolleyes:

Course for decades I went around wondering what a "wretchor" painted black was. :oops:

And my mother thought whatever it was that Mattie told Hattie about (Wooly Bully) was disgusting. :confused:

Luckily Mom never heard Steven Tyler sing "Big Ten Inch Record" either. And John and Yoko probably weren't in the middle of the road examining roadkill either. But I digress... :cool:

Last edited:
'Wrapped up like a douche, another rumor in the night.' I used to sing that verse, exactly like that. Rather than the true lyrics 'Revved up like deuce, another runner in the night'.
Springsteen is well-known for garbling his lyrics.

Think when they stopped putting out LP's with the lyrics printed inside the album covers in normal sized text, that's when it changed. Have no desire to use a magnifying glass to read a CD's page notes.

Hendrix, "Excuse me while I kiss the sky." Will continue to be; "Excuse my while I kiss this guy." I can't hear it any other way.

Last edited:
'Wrapped up like a douche, another rumor in the night.' I used to sing that verse, exactly like that. Rather than the true lyrics 'Revved up like deuce, another runner in the night'.

I think we all did. :oops: :p

I'm surprised that they didn't put this one on the list being it's the most famous misunderstanding of them all. And that's Wendy by The Association.

- Misheard: “Baa! Ba! Ba! Baa!” - Correct: “Above the clouds”

35fk0r.jpg

I didn't click the link, but the first few times I heard "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix, I thought he was saying "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy." He really says "excuse me while I kiss the sky". Haha

I couldn't believe how many of those lyrics were misunderstood.
Some of the songs I haven't heard, but, most I have.
The two I misunderstood were Blinded by the Light- always thought it said:
wrapped up like a douche, you know those runners in the night.
(Made no sense.)

And Stairway to Heaven- I too thought it said "and there's a wino down the road."

My own accidental mondegreens:

In "Hey Mickey", when the singer says, "It's guys like you, Mickey, Ooh what you do Mickey," I heard, "It's guys like you Mickey, I want to do Mickey."

In "I'm a sucker for you", when the singer says, "I follow you through the dark, can't get enough," I heard, "I follow you through the dark, and getting off."

So, apparently, I need to learn to check my own dirty mind before I accuse the singer of having a dirty mind.

I went through some of the misheard lyrics - did people really think that's what they were saying???
I just always wanted the words to "Louie Louie"

One of mine is from Jet Airliner by Steve Miller Band. I always thought he said "Big Old Chad had a light on"

But I always knew the real lyric.

New Threads

Top Bottom