• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

50 Cognitive Biases

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
V.I.P Member
50-cognitive-biases-2.png
Thought this was a very useful and informative summary. But I wonder how self aware a person has to be to realize their own biases. I can see which ones I'm mostly guilty of, past (i.e curse of knowledge) and present (Zeigarnik effect) I've been actively working on them, or at very least trying not to ACT upon them. My self-imposed goal is trying to make myself better everyday, and not taking the easy way out by blaming others.

Maybe more thoughts later.. just thought I'd share and get some of yours.

I think this is very interesting.

The ideal of "the very best version of you" is subjective to your own values and your interpretation of what this list means.

For example: the Ikea effect, placing a higher value on that which we partialy create ourselves. I think "Why not? I have cared about something enough that I was willing to put some effort into it". This is not a bad bias to have. And having that bias does not negate that I may place equal value into someone elses work.

Some biases may in fact be harmful to our prefered sense of self and how we wish others to perceieve us. But many are actually neutral in effect.

The Ben Frankin effect, for example is transactional cooperation. Transactional cooperation is a social norm that helps balance "power" to ensure all parties of a social group have equal footing. This is not a bad thing in anyway. And does not negate ones ability to act altrusitically when someone is unable to act with a like favor.

Certainly a lot to think on. Thank you for this list!

I think this is very interesting.

The ideal of "the very best version of you" is subjective to your own values and your interpretation of what this list means.

For example: the Ikea effect, placing a higher value on that which we partialy create ourselves. I think "Why not? I have cared about something enough that I was willing to put some effort into it". This is not a bad bias to have. And having that bias does not negate that I may place equal value into someone elses work.

Some biases may in fact be harmful to our prefered sense of self and how we wish others to perceieve us. But many are actually neutral in effect.

The Ben Frankin effect, for example is transactional cooperation. Transactional cooperation is a social norm that helps balance "power" to ensure all parties of a social group have equal footing. This is not a bad thing in anyway. And does not negate ones ability to act altrusitically when someone is unable to act with a like favor.

Certainly a lot to think on. Thank you for this list!

A lot of the biases are about assuming without thinking, so it's good never to assume, always think first. Many of them come about due to emotional thinking, and letting emotions guide our thinking. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's good to be aware that it's happening and compensate for it.

Interesting. I agree with @Suzette about the "Ikea bias". Placing higher value on something you create yourself can be a personally beneficial "bias" to have because there are numerous positive effects to doing something yourself rather than just buying something.

Someone who makes their own solidly crafted wooden dining table will benefit by:
  • Mental exercise.
  • Improve/maintain dexterity
  • Gain or improve knowledge in possessing a useful skill
  • Gain satisfaction in accomplishing something and being successful
  • Likely saving money
  • Gain a sense of wellbeing and self-worth
  • Potentially create an heirloom of sentimental value with a story that can be passed down in the family "Grandpa made that table." vs "Grandpa bought that table."
Those are just a few off the top of my head.

In contrast, Law of Triviality, Group Think and Authority Bias are off the charts right now in society.

Declinism: The bias seems to assume that it's not possible that societies could be in decline. It's likely an objectively true statement that "kids had more respect" in general generations ago versus today.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom